I Can't Believe I Rooted My Droid

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know how I got there. As of yesterday I wasn't even interested. But that darn clocking thing kept getting in my head. A faster Droid? Why? Wasn't I happy with my current speed?

I was. So why did I do it?

I got an im from one of my buddies on the Droid Forum News Team and he told me he rooted. And he said he did it for 5.00 and it took him a half an hour. Shoot, I'll spend 5 bucks for that!

So next thing you know there I am looking in the Droid Forum, finding out that it's as simple as going to the Market! It's in the Marke? Here's my money.

I could go into a long thread here and describe my trials and tribulations. Suffice to say it took me longer then 30 minutes and I did need help and got it from forum members. Matter of fact I was offered more help then I could use. And then I overclocked. Oh that's in the market too.

Now I'm looking at things I had no interest in before. Now I'm wondering about this bugless beast thing. I have no idea what it does but I'll probably find out and try it out. So why did I do it?

Because deep down inside it's just too much fun not to mess around with the Droid. It's just sitting there, practically begging you to mess with it. Even when I screwed up, and I did, I was still having fun.

Special thanks to Martin030908 for helping me out and to everybody else that offered.

Now I have to go back to investigating this thing...:icon_ banana:

deputc26

Reaction score
Lol, haha that is the way it goes! Welcome to the upper echelon of droid users (not to be too conceited or anything) :)

mikespe

Reaction score
That's awesome! I am just still too chicken to mess with it and I consider myself tech savvy! I would love to overclock my Droid and be able to tweak it beyond stock. I just don't know why I won't do it. I read almost the entire thread about the app in the market that will do all the work for you too...yet I won't take the plunge! I think it's that I am worried I will go through all that then the OFFICIAL update will come out! Plus my Droid is running almost flawlessly since I got it. I am afraid of screwing something up (not the root itself just making it buggy)...

It is so tempting though!!!

Great post!

kaboyd

Reaction score
I'm right there with you. I don't see how anyone can resist this now. I'm sure there are people just waiting for a free version, but it's worth every penny just for the fun you have doing it, and if you've seen some of my previous posts you might know I'm pretty tech ignorant. This app just plain ROCKS!

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's awesome! I am just still too chicken to mess with it and I consider myself tech savvy! I would love to overclock my Droid and be able to tweak it beyond stock. I just don't know why I won't do it. I read almost the entire thread about the app in the market that will do all the work for you too...yet I won't take the plunge! I think it's that I am worried I will go through all that then the OFFICIAL update will come out! Plus my Droid is running almost flawlessly since I got it. I am afraid of screwing something up (not the root itself just making it buggy)...

Great post!

Oh you'll do it. It's going to eat you up. Eventually someone you know is going to do it and just like me you'll jump into it.

This isn't a push, I'm not telling you to root, but your story sounds identical to mine. lol

Nedaroth

Reaction score
yea I did the root a couple of days ago, then did the 800mhz overclock. I use the slide screen as home and could not be happier, blazing fast and no issues. I did not want to do it first because of the up coming 2.1 release but then i thought the last thing i want or need is dancing wallpaper, or 5 screens and rooted i can find better music and photo apps then anything moto will offer.:icon_ banana:

johall07

Reaction score
i would suggest trying the bugless beast.... i had sholes rom before but it was way laggy switched to bugless beast and couldnt be happier all the same perks plus blazing speed.....havent tried the sholes 2.0.1 though so i cant compare

crspang

Reaction score
I was kinda in the same boat as you. But I just couldn't resist the overclocking part. I was sick of waiting on 2.1 so I took the plunge with bugless 7.2 and today I changed to 7.4 and added the wifi tether.

I was very nervous at first and I did have a couple of hang ups but it all worked out in the end. The wifi tether was super easy to add to bb7.4.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's how it goes, its to be expected after all.

You're standing there on the corner and take a call. You flip the phone open, take the call, hang up and you're done. Pretty cool phone seeing as how you can add your own ring tones for each person and all. Oh..yeah...if it is dark you can turn the phone on and kinda stumble around in the dark.

Then, one day, you notice people dragging their fingers all over their phones. They aren't even talking on them or anything. You sorta wonder what it might be like to own a smart phone of your own but aren't even sure what makes it so smart.

Then suddenly, everyone is pushing them. Others have iPhones but those don't work in your neighborhood. Finally ads come on TV and internet about the new hot item in town. You decide to "just take a look".

Next....you've got one in your possession and it all really begins. You download a level. Then a metal detector. The apps get bigger and do more things. It's not just a phone its a police scanner. It has maps. You talk to it. It talks back. The apps market isn't enough to keep you going so you poke around on some forums. Suddenly you know way more about your phone than you thought possible.

Yet still..as you stand on the corner using your augmented reality app while geocaching and listening to some tunes...it isn't enough. Some people have been doing this rooting thing with their phone.

So..you say, "what the heck, everyone else is doing it"...and you root. And it is cool. Things are faster. You've got the latest and greatest and who needs the official 2.1 update anymore. It doesn't need to come out for *your* phone as long as it comes out for someone else's phone. And that's because others are in even deeper. They are making these things called ROMs.

....thanks Hook. You answered my question from the other thread:)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
...Because deep down inside it's just too much fun not to mess around with the Droid. It's just sitting there, practically begging you to mess with it. Even when I screwed up, and I did, I was still having fun...

I recall once thinking the same thing about a 17 y/o young lady. Unfortunately, the heat the entire process generated was extremely problematic. Better luck with your droid.

r-dubya

Reaction score

Great post!

You know, with the SMUpdater, it does give you the option to go back to stock...completly, w/o having to do anything other then press a butto.

Diordna

Reaction score
You guys make me want to root but how fast does it make the phone and smoother and more bugless anyways??

Plus I feel like even if I read how to do it I won't understand and screw up or something @.@