I Can't Believe I Rooted My Droid

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by hookbill, Feb 4, 2010.

1. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Borrow mine, lol.

Seriously if you are scared buy Sholes and have it install for you.

the thing is, this phone is almost idiot proof to actually brick. There is an awesome step by step guide by matthew for bugless beast. You won't regret it.

See how many of us have done it? If something happens and you need some help we are here for you!

2. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually temperatures of 105 or more can kill you. ;(

That being said many people have had no problem with running the droid at that temp in the short term, but we have no long term data on it. This is part of why rooting and overclocking voids your warranty. While the phone can and does run at these speeds no problem for most, some people do experience problems and that's why Motorola shipped the phone the way they did.

3. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,475
    i thought it was high because all other apps and data on my droid normally do not peak above 101. Moodio.fm feeds live and it keeps the screen on so its processing the stream at 800 and probably everything else. Either way to be on the safe side when I run moodio.fm to stream sports Ima just throttle down to 550; i didnt have a problem with it running at that speed before.

4. dtu

dtu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was the same way, afraid of what could happen. But I have no apprehension of building a $3000 computer and oc'ing it till it cries. Yet here I have a phone and afraid to touch it. LOL
    So just like a computer- read-understand what a rom will do. Read what all the tools needed to perfom the job do. Backup-backup-backup and you cant go wrong.
    And it helps to have the forums to guide us along

5. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    My biggest issue now is probably finding a window of time to do this. I'm thinking the instruction path vs the auto install path might be more preferable as I think less people get stuck. (stuck as in it took a whole lot longer than they thought it would).

For those who don't want to root because they won't get the OTA remember you can always go back to stock and get updated. I suppose you can even stay rooted, see what the update includes and then decide to go that path or wait for it to be rooted so you don't lose wifi tethering and overclocking. If you take the update prior to it being rooted and Verizon did something to make rooting much much harder that might be a bummer. Although, I did see mention the Nexus has been rooted but I also saw that Google was releasing the code to the manufactures who could then make further tweaks before updating their phones.

I manually installed 2.01 and am wondering for those who got it OTA...was it a notification and was it optional?

6. mt_droid

mt_droid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I rooted using the Scholes updater and it worked as it was advertised.

I have a question - I have lost the ability to use maps and the car application. I did not uncheck during install, but have lost for now.

Also still have corp calendar even though i unchecked during install.

I love the new mod and the new speed, but would like to have these apps back to use.

Thanks for the help, and I didn't "f" it up in the process. Just need a little help

7. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,475
    Reflash the rom and in the menu check and un check the following options:
    options in select package
    1) keyboard (w/speech dictation)
    2) 2.1 desk clock
    3) 2.1 launcher (home screen)
    4) milestone browser
    5) minimum brightness
    6) low brightness app
    7) youtube hq
    8) news/weather widget
    9) wifi tether
    10) open vpn
    11) drop bear sshd
    12 jit (breakage)
    13) hq video
    14) 2.0 lock screen vibrate mod
    15) flac support (work in progress)
    16) milestone 2.0.0 widgets
    17) g1 im app
    18) smupdater
    IMPORTANT
    19) remove corporate calendar
    20 remove email
    21) remove visual voice mail
    22) remove amazon mp3 store
    23) remove facebook
    24) remove car home

offers smoke glass, 3d and others

8. hughesjr

hughesjr Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You need to read the screens better ... for corporate calendar (and the Car Dock) if you want to KEEP them, you need to UNCHECK it. (The screen is for REMOVING the app, so checked means remove, uncheck means keep).

As far as losing the ability to use maps, if you mean it is not installed, then install maps from the market. If you are having other issues, let us know what they are.

9. Nick177th

Nick177th Member

Ratings:
    +0
    RFLMAO. me too. I don't NEED to do it. I'm not a power user at all but, I wanna do it. Someone had a hilarious response to someone telling them that rooting was easy. His response:

But I'm scared!
    am running away.

or something like that. I was dam near on the floor. That was sooo funny to me. Now that the root app is out, I know deep in my heart eventually I'm going to do it. Right now, too much of the terminology is foreign to me to try it. I'll tell you what though, if rooting would give you Bluetooth voice commands, i'd figure it out right now.

10. Tegamal

Tegamal Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When I read the "sack" comment, I literally lol'd!

I feel the same way, though. I've built several computers, overclocked them & made them my b****, but I am so afraid to touch my Droid! I've read all the guides on manually rooting & it seems very easy, read up on sholes & it seems easier still, but I just can't dig up the guts to jump into the pool.

Like everyone else, I don't really NEED to root, but some of the benefits are intriguing, I must admit.

11. WacKo

WacKo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Really want to root my droid but got convinced not to with all this bricking talk.. can I brick my phone even after my phone is rooted?

12. choptop

choptop New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Much like you guys, I did not need to root my Droid but wanted to, decided to take the plunge and wasn't up to the task, asked for help and got it. Have been rooted for about a week now, trying to get up the nerve to overclock, don't know yet wether I will use sholes or do it by direction, if I get stuck I know I will be able to get some help from this forum.

Search tags for this page

sholemod android download