I Can't Believe I Rooted My Droid

kaboyd

Reaction score
I think something is sucking up my battery, I really need to take a look at my settings and see what's going on after it's been off the charger for a while. I just shut of GPS, I know it's not suppose to be using power when it's off but I'm trying everything now.
Same here. I've ran the sholes 2.0.1 for two days and my battery would last 3-4 hrs. at the most. I was hoping it was the rom since I've had great battery like since day one and I am using this phone 6-8 hrs a day. Maybe BB 7.4 will be different? IDK... but I don't think my issue is a rouge app. Nothing funny is running.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hook! Apparently all went well with the root and OC!
Glad you're enjoying it.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think something is sucking up my battery, I really need to take a look at my settings and see what's going on after it's been off the charger for a while. I just shut of GPS, I know it's not suppose to be using power when it's off but I'm trying everything now.
Same here. I've ran the sholes 2.0.1 for two days and my battery would last 3-4 hrs. at the most. I was hoping it was the rom since I've had great battery like since day one and I am using this phone 6-8 hrs a day. Maybe BB 7.4 will be different? IDK... but I don't think my issue is a rouge app. Nothing funny is running.

I just don't see anything sucking up battery except display. So I'm kind of mystified as to what's going on with this thing. It seems like it may be losing 10% an hour. Now it's not like I'm not touching it, I am. Also I see it getting hot when I use the browser. Did that before but not as much as since I installed Sholes.

All of this could be my imagination. I really need to give it a few days for a better evaluation.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I just don't see anything sucking up battery except display. So I'm kind of mystified as to what's going on with this thing. It seems like it may be losing 10% an hour. Now it's not like I'm not touching it, I am. Also I see it getting hot when I use the browser. Did that before but not as much as since I installed Sholes.

All of this could be my imagination. I really need to give it a few days for a better evaluation.
Flashing ROMs, playing with the phone after it's Flashed trying to tweak settings, all this will eat at your battery. Restarts, it all takes a chunk. If you have a day with no updates or flashes, just regular use, and still have this issue, then I would dig deeper, until then don't worry :)

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Martin showed me via im about several fail safes in SetCpu that I didn't know about. Had I have had those set I'm sure i wouldn't have had a battery issue last night.

bristolcat

Reaction score
I had to register just so I could ask - is there a FAQ page about rooting your Droid anywhere? I've lurked in this forum since the Droid came out and I've slowly come to know a lot about and been intrigued by rooting my phone. I still have questions, however, and haven't been satisfied that they are answered yet. So, any ideas? Or could I just list my questions here? :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had to register just so I could ask - is there a FAQ page about rooting your Droid anywhere? I've lurked in this forum since the Droid came out and I've slowly come to know a lot about and been intrigued by rooting my phone. I still have questions, however, and haven't been satisfied that they are answered yet. So, any ideas? Or could I just list my questions here? :)
The "Hacks" section will have everything you need :)

BTwrestle04

Reaction score

I would suggest using this route. I did all of the steps in about a half an hour.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...ng-only-sprecovery-terminal-emulator-zip.html

papy72

Reaction score
Martin showed me via im about several fail safes in SetCpu that I didn't know about. Had I have had those set I'm sure i wouldn't have had a battery issue last night.
Can you elaborate on the fail safes you mentioned?

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

In SetCPU you go to your profiles. The Fail Safe settings are in there. You can modify each setting.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
In set CPU, there are "Profiles". One of them is "fail safe" which will throttle down the CPU speed (depending on how you set it) if the battery reaches a certain temperature.

There are other options in profile as well. I highly suggest going to the SetCPU's developer website to read what exactly the app does and how all the settings work. It's a simple read and gives you a much much better understanding of the app and how to manage your over clock. :)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm getting to close to rooting here, but I just had one quick question. I've done some research on making a backup of my phone in case I do want to unroot it in the event that I have to have Verizon service my phone. The guide I read on rootyourdroid.info though states that the phone must be rooted first before making a backup. I guess my question is, if I make a backup of my phone settings while my droid is rooted, does that mean I have no backup of the phone in its unrooted state? Is there a way or should I be making a backup of the phone in an unrooted state in case I do want to go back to full unrooted mode or does this not matter if the backup is made in root mode?

Short answer: yes you can. There are guides that tell you how to.
Long answer: I spent a fair amount of time following two somewhat long threads. BNot an impossible task but for anyone considering taking some steps that will void your phone's warrenty I gotta ask, "why would you not takle the time to read what others have gone through?"

Of course, you could just grab the app out of the market, run the thing and hope you don't spend hours hoping your phoine isn't bricked (it isn't) and hoping someone in a forum thread will answer your questions every three minutes while you can't use your phone.

Do some research. If you can't find how to root your phone, install a rom, overclock, get back to stock then trust me. Links to all of that are contained within these two threads:
App that roots/OCs/multi-touches and tethers for $5
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...-2-4-10-a.html

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm getting to close to rooting here, but I just had one quick question. I've done some research on making a backup of my phone in case I do want to unroot it in the event that I have to have Verizon service my phone. The guide I read on rootyourdroid.info though states that the phone must be rooted first before making a backup. I guess my question is, if I make a backup of my phone settings while my droid is rooted, does that mean I have no backup of the phone in its unrooted state? Is there a way or should I be making a backup of the phone in an unrooted state in case I do want to go back to full unrooted mode or does this not matter if the backup is made in root mode?

Short answer: yes you can. There are guides that tell you how to.
Long answer: I spent a fair amount of time following two somewhat long threads. BNot an impossible task but for anyone considering taking some steps that will void your phone's warrenty I gotta ask, "why would you not takle the time to read what others have gone through?"

Of course, you could just grab the app out of the market, run the thing and hope you don't spend hours hoping your phoine isn't bricked (it isn't) and hoping someone in a forum thread will answer your questions every three minutes while you can't use your phone.

Do some research. If you can't find how to root your phone, install a rom, overclock, get back to stock then trust me. Links to all of that are contained within these two threads:
App that roots/OCs/multi-touches and tethers for $5
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...-2-4-10-a.html

I got to agree that you should be able to understand fully what you're getting into. Maybe it's because I hang out here a lot but I didn't have any problem getting help when I kind of got stuck. Even today with this forum I got answers to all my other questions.

Reading the instructions in the how to's is a huge task. Quite honestly I was under the belief that the 5.00 app would handle everything. No, it doesn't. But it handles enough that with the help of this forum you should be OK.

That's not a recommendation to root, it's just my experience.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I got to agree that you should be able to understand fully what you're getting into. Maybe it's because I hang out here a lot but I didn't have any problem getting help when I kind of got stuck. Even today with this forum I got answers to all my other questions.

Reading the instructions in the how to's is a huge task. Quite honestly I was under the belief that the 5.00 app would handle everything. No, it doesn't. But it handles enough that with the help of this forum you should be OK.

That's not a recommendation to root, it's just my experience.

The help that I have seen flying around is amazing. People go out of their way to make sure others are not stuck. I don't think anyone gave Hookbill special help. I've seen new members as well as those who have been here a while get helped. I've seen easy and tough installs. Some go real easy...others not so easy. It's the one or two that might have not ended up where they wanted to be that have me still watching and learning.

Reading those two threads will probably take an hour or so. Anyone doing so will gain a fair amount of knowledge as well. Having read those threads I now know that 5 bucks does not buy a plug and play app. My main reason for pointing to those 2 threads is so others also realize that while this is doable it can also come with some moments of panic as well as the fact that anyone looking for answers will find them there in messages themselves or in the form of links elsewhere. Actually, by now reading just the 2nd link will probably suffice:)