I am done with the Droid experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Personally, when I had an iPhone 4, the battery lasted around 6 hours tops. Horrible. The only, only thing I miss, are the iOS photography apps. That's it.
Hell, on Android, you can even adjust your keyboard layout precisely to match the size of your fingers. Bam.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

And how do you edit your keyboad as mentioned?

That's off topic, and you probably won't get an answer. Try to pm the member for that information.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Personally, when I had an iPhone 4, the battery lasted around 6 hours tops. Horrible. The only, only thing I miss, are the iOS photography apps. That's it.
Hell, on Android, you can even adjust your keyboard layout precisely to match the size of your fingers. Bam.

I can't even imagine what you did to that phone for it to only last six hours. My wife's lasts all day with no problem at all. My Incredible is closer with the 2150 battery and rooted, but still not quite as good.

OP
L

LGOP

Reaction score
My intent was not to bash the Droid, believe me I went to extremes to stick it out despite the issues that are associated with this phone.
Just browsing the forums, the volume of threads regarding Droid issues is huge so its not like I am making this stuff up. That being said there are other Android based phones that perform superbly, I just didnt fall into that category. I also own a Macbook, so the interface with the iphone and my mac is nice, but I had no problems with my Droid in that regard. There are positives and negatives for each type of OS and it is all about personal choice. As the Droid line of phones continue to evolve, and they make a comparable product for my needs, I would see no reason why I would not come back to the platform. It is what it is.
On a personal note, as I was going through my issues and tweaking of the phone, I recieved great feedaback and assistance from the members of this board, always willing to lend a hand and it was much appreciated.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
My intent was not to bash the Droid, believe me I went to extremes to stick it out despite the issues that are associated with this phone.
Just browsing the forums, the volume of threads regarding Droid issues is huge so its not like I am making this stuff up. That being said there are other Android based phones that perform superbly, I just didnt fall into that category. I also own a Macbook, so the interface with the iphone and my mac is nice, but I had no problems with my Droid in that regard. There are positives and negatives for each type of OS and it is all about personal choice. As the Droid line of phones continue to evolve, and they make a comparable product for my needs, I would see no reason why I would not come back to the platform. It is what it is.
On a personal note, as I was going through my issues and tweaking of the phone, I recieved great feedaback and assistance from the members of this board, always willing to lend a hand and it was much appreciated.

We have several of the same staff at iPhone Forums, so feel free to drop in over there. Since I have the Droid and iPhone 4 in the house, feel free to PM me with direct questions as well, if you would like.

Good luck on the new phone. Any new tech toy is a great thing, doesn't matter who makes it. ;)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I find it a little more than ironic that he couldn't be bothered to root and tweak his Droid so he bought a used jailbroken iPhone instead.

The words "lame", "lazy", "spoonfed" and "sheep" come to mind.

Not meaning to be rude though I certainly see that I may seem that way, just callin' it like I see it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Not everyone wants to root their phone and there are plenty who shouldn't. Not everyone has that kind of talent or time... does not mean they are lazy, lame or spoonfed. May just mean they have talents that you couldn't even begin to compete with and better things to do with their time. Again, no need to be rude or insulting!

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Agree completely, Tis.

Warning, derogatory comments aren't welcomed or accepted. I don't care that people don't like Apple. Keep the snide, inappropriate comments to yourselves. It only shows ignorance.

Masamichi7

Reaction score
Just to be helpful, I'll answer the keyboard question by saying there's several 'rooted' and stock keyboard apps and options that will let you edit the key height and width and size, but my personal preference is the app 'keyboard from android 2.3' on the Market. There's a free version of it up. Hope that helps.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
These are the DroidForums. IPhone is sacreligious around here haha ;) . I'm on a d2 and I love it. I love being able to tweak it and modify it. The way I look at it is the iPhone is for the average person who just wants a straightforward device, the android system is for those of us who enjoy customizing and modifying our phones. It's like an enjoyable project. No right or wrong in anyone's choice of device. I love macs as far as laptops are concerned (great for musicians like myself.) all the best with the switch.

Droid 2 liberated gingerbread v0.5

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
These are the DroidForums. IPhone is sacreligious around here haha ;) . I'm on a d2 and I love it. I love being able to tweak it and modify it. The way I look at it is the iPhone is for the average person who just wants a straightforward device, the android system is for those of us who enjoy customizing and modifying our phones. It's like an enjoyable project. No right or wrong in anyone's choice of device. I love macs as far as laptops (great for musicians like myself.)

Droid 2 liberated gingerbread v0.5

Thanks jkhonea for your efforts in trying to keep these forums civil and respectful.

I agree Idopa, I too love the flexibility of android but I know most people are totally lost when it comes to doing everything I do with my phone. They're not all average people though... one is a spine surgeon and I wouldn't even dare to attempt what he does just like he knows he will ruin his phone if he tries to do what I do.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
My personal observation about the Droid compared to the iPhone is that Apple pulled one tremendous benefit over the Droid with their release. They exercised their muscles and forced Verizon to release it with NO bloatware at all. Google, for whatever reason, isn't attempting the same thing. The bloatware is one of the primary reasons I rooted my phone. The simple fact that I can't remove it without rooting is ludicrous.

For that I have to give credit. It's nice to get a phone knowing there won't be a huge number of garbage apps by default that can't be removed without hacking your phone.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot. Your welcome, Tis. I'm not a fan of slamming on any board. Technology is technology. Any advance in tech is good. I'm just as quick to shut down Droid slamming on the iPhone board as I do with Apple slamming on here. It truly isn't necessary. Points can be made without getting derogatory.

-iD

Reaction score
sorry, i really didn't mean to be rude. i actually LIKE apple in some ways, and if vzw and apple had been able to get it together sooner, i'd have an iPhone and possibly never have even considered a droid.

i still find it very ironic that he moved to a jailbroken iPhone; to me that speaks more to the fact that NEITHER is "perfect" out of the box than that one is superior to the other.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
sorry, i really didn't mean to be rude. i actually LIKE apple in some ways, and if vzw and apple had been able to get it together sooner, i'd have an iPhone and possibly never have even considered a droid.

i still find it very ironic that he moved to a jailbroken iPhone; to me that speaks more to the fact that NEITHER is "perfect" out of the box than that one is superior to the other.

Completely right. For people that really are deeply into tech, there won't be much any device released that one won't want to fiddle with in some way, form or manner. A jailbroken iPhone and a rooted Droid are both things to behold. What I don't like coming down the line are all of the new Droid phones being locked down to prevent rooting. Not a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.