I am done with the Droid experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
my only problem with threads like this is it seems to be a "pity me" party.

Honestly....IMO....I played with the idont too....couldn't wait to get my phone back. Have you tried the X, X2, Thunderbolt, Charge, Bionic, Incredible 2? No....you tried the same phone twice then complained that they were the same.

Anyone have a mazda 6? Would you care to drive my 6 and tell me how much it's the same?

These "I am leaving for (insert phone name here)" threads always go and end the same way.

Last edited:

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
OK, I moved this to the Off Topic forum to appease people. Now knock it off. Period. If you don't have something constructive to say, and constructive doesn't mean it has to be pro-Apple, don't say it.

Here's a little secret. There ARE things the iPhone does better than Android just as there ARE things Android does better than Apple. If you say otherwise, you're living in denial.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you say otherwise, you're living in denial.

Very true...sad thing is a LOT of people live in denial and are happy with it....just like ignorance and racism....those that are raised like that or live like that don't care that we think they are ignorant....to them we are the ignorant ones.

At any rate.....I say this time and time again.....There are 2 types of Smartphone users....Apple and Android. Is one right and one wrong.....no....to each other....yes. But that is simply a personality or preference clash and nothing more.

Yes I have my opinions on a majority of iphone users....like a couple of my cousins....they bought iphones for the status symbol and that's it. All they know is "Apple is what the rich people buy.....we make $600k+ a year so we should have one too.

Myself....my biggest gripe is the app drawer being your wallpaper for the most part. I don't like all the apps being on display. But again....that is me.

I hope you enjoy your Apple and I hope you don't change your mind. Couldn't imagine how frustrating that would be to leave one device for another just to find out you don't like it and want to go back.

rusty815

Reaction score
These "I am leaving for (insert phone name here)" threads always go and end the same way.

that is exactly what i said, which is why i asked this to be closed, but i guess thats not going to happen.

the one thing that kept me from switching to apple is the fact that i cant customize the phone as well, on android i can have widgets, customize the transition effect, the app drawer, the icons, the toolbar, the menus, the fonts, live wallpapers, i can set down static icons along with widgets, that kind of customizability is why i stay with android.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
And these are the kind of posts that are constructive, believe it or not. Does Apple have stereotypes? Unfortunately. And unfortunately there are those that bring these on themselves. The same applies to Android. The idiots that cause the rest to look bad. We all know those stereotypes exist, so it seems that it would be worthwhile to get past the stereotypes we know of and look at things from the technical angle, where it is useful. Instead of repeating stereotypes.

For example, how many have ventured off into the rumors that the iPhone 5 will possibly start with widgets? At least in some capacity? If so, this would show where technological companies fighting against each other are fighting for market share by evolving with each other. That is where having two OS systems is beneficial. They prod each other along and that should be acknowledged, not ignored.

AllForNaught

Reaction score
I will guarantee you're not getting the kind of battery life with your iPhone that I am with my Fascinate.

View attachment 33684

And lastly - since the droid os makes it possible to set your droid phone up exactly like an iPhone(y), your logic is fallible. The Samsung phones use a very similar ui - maybe you should have tried one

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I will guarantee you're not getting the kind of battery life with your iPhone that I am with my Fascinate.

View attachment 33684

And lastly - since the droid os makes it possible to set your droid phone up exactly like an iPhone(y), your logic is fallible. The Samsung phones use a very similar ui - maybe you should have tried one

Setup and OS's are not equal. That's like saying the MIUI interface will make your Droid an iPhone. It doesn't. The operating systems and apps and the way the phone handles them is still different.

So actually, your analogy is just as fallible.

OP
L

LGOP

Reaction score
sorry, i really didn't mean to be rude. i actually LIKE apple in some ways, and if vzw and apple had been able to get it together sooner, i'd have an iPhone and possibly never have even considered a droid.

i still find it very ironic that he moved to a jailbroken iPhone; to me that speaks more to the fact that NEITHER is "perfect" out of the box than that one is superior to the other.

I must have missed something. I dont have a jailbroken iphone, i had a rooted D2G.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
sorry, i really didn't mean to be rude. i actually LIKE apple in some ways, and if vzw and apple had been able to get it together sooner, i'd have an iPhone and possibly never have even considered a droid.

i still find it very ironic that he moved to a jailbroken iPhone; to me that speaks more to the fact that NEITHER is "perfect" out of the box than that one is superior to the other.

I must have missed something. I dont have a jailbroken iphone, i had a rooted D2G.
I think he misread you and thought you were already on an iPhone that you jailbroke.

Blacksantron

Reaction score
My girl and I were due for upgrades within a week of each other. I knew I wanted an android and she was convinced she wanted the "new white one." So I got the DX cause, honestly, it's a beast and I enjoy the tweakability. She wanted that other phone cause it's "cute."

For the week before her date I was in her face all the time showing her how awesome the DX is to no avail. No amount of power and customizationalism (new word) can ever overcome "cute."

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

AllForNaught

Reaction score
Setup and OS's are not equal. That's like saying the MIUI interface will make your Droid an iPhone. It doesn't. The operating systems and apps and the way the phone handles them is still different.

I didn't make any analogies. Could you explain explicitly what UI and OS features/functions you're disgruntled with on droid? I mean, I work in a place where several associates use iPhones, okay? I've compared notes/phones with a couple fellow smarphone affictionados, and based on what playing around I've done with the iPhone, the OS is so similar to the Samsung droid phones as to be either negligible (how they handle updates), and the UI so transparent, that any differences really come down to hardware.

iPhone: proprietary cable for computer interface.
Droid phone: USB

No brainer - usb is more functional and widely available for connectivity. Period. Next!

iPhone: send it back when battery dies.
Droid: get a new battery.

No brainer - if you wanna keep your phone, and not have to resync everything to a new phone if your juice runs dry. Next!

iPhone: media sharing via proprietary middleman, or 'iStore'
Droid: no middleman. Hook it up to your PC and drag 'em in.

No brainer - middleman eliminated, and support for more media formats via opensourcd droid OS.

iPhone: built in memory.
Droid: expandable memory to suit needs is ALWAYS a plus.

No brainer - No matter how much you wanna say it's an option on disparate iPhones, it's an illusion. You're stuck with what you buy, content or not.

Customizability? I'll spare you, but post this:

View attachment 33697

iPhone: one size fits all.
Droid: one for everyone. Ever seen the Gzone? Self explanatory.

iPhone: mediocre battery life.
Droid: see my last post.

iPhone: one size fits all mediocre screen.
Samsung Fascinate: iPhone owners 'crap their drawers' (figuratively speaking) when they see the Fascinate's screen vibrance, and that's factual: several coworkers with iPhones served :)

Now if you can, to be constuctive, explicitly construe an argument supporting your post on a droid native forum, in regards to real world differences you associate with the iPhone's functionality vs. those of competing droid phones, I think it's safe to say, we're all interested. Keep in mind, most droid phone 'hiccups' you've cited as reasons for abandoning the droid platform also occurr on apple products, and if you'd like, I can link to several examples.

NebraskaX24

Reaction score

I didn't make any analogies. Could you explain explicitly what UI and OS features/functions you're disgruntled with on droid? I mean, I work in a place where several associates use iPhones, okay? I've compared notes/phones with a couple fellow smarphone affictionados, and based on what playing around I've done with the iPhone, the OS is so similar to the Samsung droid phones as to be either negligible (how they handle updates), and the UI so transparent, that any differences really come down to hardware.

iPhone: proprietary cable for computer interface.
Droid phone: USB

No brainer - usb is more functional and widely available for connectivity. Period. Next!

iPhone: send it back when battery dies.
Droid: get a new battery.

No brainer - if you wanna keep your phone, and not have to resync everything to a new phone if your juice runs dry. Next!

iPhone: media sharing via proprietary middleman, or 'iStore'
Droid: no middleman. Hook it up to your PC and drag 'em in.

No brainer - middleman eliminated, and support for more media formats via opensourcd droid OS.

iPhone: built in memory.
Droid: expandable memory to suit needs is ALWAYS a plus.

No brainer - No matter how much you wanna say it's an option on disparate iPhones, it's an illusion. You're stuck with what you buy, content or not.

Customizability? I'll spare you, but post this:

View attachment 33697

iPhone: one size fits all.
Droid: one for everyone. Ever seen the Gzone? Self explanatory.

iPhone: mediocre battery life.
Droid: see my last post.

iPhone: one size fits all mediocre screen.
Samsung Fascinate: iPhone owners 'crap their drawers' (figuratively speaking) when they see the Fascinate's screen vibrance, and that's factual: several coworkers with iPhones served :)

Now if you can, to be constuctive, explicitly construe an argument supporting your post on a droid native forum, in regards to real world differences you associate with the iPhone's functionality vs. those of competing droid phones, I think it's safe to say, we're all interested. Keep in mind, most droid phone 'hiccups' you've cited as reasons for abandoning the droid platform also occurr on apple products, and if you'd like, I can link to several examples.

I'm joining this thread late, but I'll just throw this out there.

Is there any particular reason you *need* to be right about your choice of phones being 'better'?

It's subjective, it might be better for you, but it isn't for everybody. Also asking skewed questions and then answering them in a snide way just makes you come off as an insecure jerk.

Why people insist that their choice of phone must be the best phone ever is beyond me. So what if you like WP7? Doesn't mean you must try and force it down everybody else's throat. I mean obviously you know what's the best choice for everybody, but the least you could do is allow them to come to your result through their own means. ;) [insert OS of choice] is so clearly superior to everything else out there in terms of... well... everything that could possibly matter to anybody.

Let people make their own choices. Don't force your choice down their throat. Gosh sometimes message boards are worse than religions :icon_ banana:

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I'm curious, are you understanding that I have left Android? As I currently run a rooted Incredible. My wife has the iPhone 4.

Stability, iOS is more stable than Android. I've had one reboot on her phone. It took rooting my Incredible to get it running stable from the base OS sent out with it. Once it was rooted, it is much better about stability, but still not as stable as iOS.

Battery, good thing about removing batteries as the stock battery on the Incredible can't hold a candle to the battery on the iPhone 4. The 1300 is a terrible choice on size and is abysmal on use. Again, rooting helped the battery situation, as did the 2150 battery now making it larger than the iPhone. But still an acceptable size by far. The removable batteries are a necessity on stock unless you like staying connected to a charger periodically throughout the day if you don't go for multiple batteries.

Bloatware. iOS, none. Android, immense amounts. Again, rooting fixed this. But stock, you're screwed. Stuck with the bloatware as it is non-removable. And now Verizon is getting increasingly strict about locking down phones thus removing the ability to remove bloatware.

Screen size. Well no kidding the iPhone has a smaller screen. It's also how old in comparison to the newest Androids. The resolution on the retina is typically much better than the Android.

Quality apps, Android is getting better now so they are getting much closer to being on par. That's good as competition helps everyone.

That's a handful of answer for you. As I said, rooting fixes a lot of the Android shortcomings. A huge amount. In fact, keeping my Incredible would have been debatable without rooting. As it is now, I enjoy it and it works great for what I need. But a lot of the discounting you are doing of the iPhone is personal preference.

Oh, and batteries can be switched out when they die. Not an issue. If you know what you're doing, it isn't difficult.

Oh Nebraska, I'm sorry this came in after your post. I was responding to the same person you were. Mine wasn't a direct remark towards you, I apologize if it looked that way.

Last edited:

-iD

Reaction score
lol, I wasn't confused about who has what phone, just censored. ;)

My original post which was deleted (though it was quoted later and is still up) quoted this comment, which I think is indicitave of the nature of the difference between iPhone and android users.
My friend just returned his droid(forget which one) and went BACK to the iPhone4. Said droid is "too confusing and not simple". Didnt root, kept on stock for a week before returning and buying a jailbroken iP4 off craigslist to run it on tmobile. He also said he was sure that all his issues would be fixed if he rooted(batt life,bloatware,etc) but didnt want to take the time.

On this side (Droid) we tend not to mind getting our own hands dirty to achieve the results we desire. "Over there" they like their gardens neat and orderly but will pay somebody else to do it for them. There's a cottage industry jailbreaking and selling hacked iPhones, which does not really have a counterpart in the Droid community. The closest we come is the one-click root apps, which still end up requiring some user involvement.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

AllForNaught

Reaction score
Is there any particular reason you *need* to be right about your choice of phones being 'better'?

It's subjective, it might be better for you, but it isn't for everybody. Also asking skewed questions and then answering them in a snide way just makes you come off as an insecure jerk.

Let people make their own choices. Don't force your choice down their throat. Gosh sometimes message boards are worse than religions :icon_ banana:

I wasn't posting anything as to which is 'right' or 'better' - we're not discussing philosophical differences, but real world differences in a device, and since the OP is posting in what many would consider a 'hostile' environment for people who would engage in a philosophical vs. debate regarding a high profile and disparate competitor - which you seem to be trying to goad me into. Sorry :(

I also never 'asked any questions' and 'answered them' in a 'skewed way.' I'm trying to do the unthinkable: discuss real world differences between devices. I listed the ones that affected MY choice of phones.

Now, at his discretion, it's up to the OP to post their own - in specifics, as I did.

Again, keep in mind: this is meant to be a constructive discussion, regarding the ins and outs of iPhone vs. Droid users, AS WELL AS a potential thread for consumers trying to make such decisions.

If you mischaracterize or otherwise reduce my explicitly constructive post as a philosophical or otherwise rant, that's a personal problem, and should be exempt from these threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.