94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Moto devices?? I've had a couple View attachment 52906

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I have a SIII on the way as well. If I like it enough, the MAXX will find itself up for sale. If I don't care for it all that much, the MAXX will stay and the SIII will be finding a new home. But neither one will hang around too much longer with the RAZR HD on the way and that rumored HTC with a 1080p screen.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Only flaws I've heard about the S3 is the locked bootloader and typical launch bugs about data and whatnot.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Hope you have better luck with the SIII than I did. Reception is lousy and battery life is terrible. Keeping my Maxx. The SIII is already sold.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
The one thing about being a smart phone user is the honeymoon period doesn't last very long. Especially when you are like me and wait at least six months for the price to come down. Then it's already outdated. Even if you pay the big bucks for the "latest and greatest" it will only be 3 months till the next round of new phones comes along.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The one thing about being a smart phone user is the honeymoon period doesn't last very long. Especially when you are like me and wait at least six months for the price to come down. Then it's already outdated. Even if you pay the big bucks for the "latest and greatest" it will only be 3 months till the next round of new phones comes along.

If you play your cards right and know where to look, you don't have to pay the big bucks for the latest and greatest. I bought a brand new SIII for $400. A used RAZR MAXX is selling for around $400 right now in a lot of places. So, in the end, I won't pay anything to switch. If you do this often enough, and keep an eye out in the right places, it costs very little to keep up with the latest and greatest. Throughout all the phones I've owned, it's averaged out that I've paid about $40 each time I switch. And to me, $40 every 2-3 months to have the latest and greatest is worth it. It's not worth it to many people, and I certainly understand that, but it is to me. In the case of the MAXX, it's held its value better than just about any other smartphone I've had from Verizon, so I've been able to hold onto past the typical 2-3 months.

Last edited:

joshxdroid

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
If you play your cards right and know where to look, you don't have to pay the big bucks for the latest and greatest. I bought a brand new SIII for $400. A used RAZR MAXX is selling for around $400 right now in a lot of places. So, in the end, I won't pay anything to switch. If you do this often enough, and keep an eye out in the right places, it costs very little to keep up with the latest and greatest. Throughout all the phones I've owned, it's averaged out that I've paid about $40 each time I switch. And to me, $40 every 2-3 months to have the latest and greatest is worth it. It's not worth it to many people, and I certainly understand that, but it is to me. In the case of the MAXX, it's held its value better than just about any other smartphone I've had from Verizon.

I can see how you could do that, three only problem is the first time you have a catastrophic software problem or broken screen, you are screwed and have to spend $400 to get back in the game.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I can see how you could do that, three only problem is the first time you have a catastrophic software problem or broken screen, you are screwed and have to spend $400 to get back in the game.

Actually, those aren't problems. The newer phones are still under warranty, which will cover software problems through Verizon. By the time a phone is out of its initial one year warranty, I don't have it any more. :) As far as a broken screen, or anything else along those lines, the insurance through Verizon has always transferred from phone to phone. In the past, I've made a couple claims on phones I've gotten this way without any problems.

Reaction score
Three reasons I won't jump to the SIII for Verizon. One: Locked bootloader. Two: If they used the same radio as the Nexus, reception will be poor, at best! Three: Verizon's LTE version only comes with the dual core, versus quad core. Everything I just noted makes it no better than my RAZR...Probably not as good actually.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Three reasons I won't jump to the SIII for Verizon. One: Locked bootloader. Two: If they used the same radio as the Nexus, reception will be poor, at best! Three: Verizon's LTE version only comes with the dual core, versus quad core. Everything I just noted makes it no better than my RAZR...Probably not as good actually.

My biggest concern with the S3 was the radios. Having went through four different devices with the Galaxy Nexus due to radio issues, I was reluctant to even give it a shot. But by most accounts, the radios in the S3 are better than the radios in the Nexus. I don't expect them to be up to Motorola's standards, but we'll see.

The biggest reason for me to see about the S3 is that I just get bored with a phone quickly and want to try the newest one out. With the S3 versus the MAXX, I'm looking forward to the larger screen (and increased resolution), the 2GB of ram, and the camera. But, if I don't end up caring for the S3, I'll just sell it and go back to the MAXX. But my addiction requires me to take the S3 for a spin.