Going on a cruise? Make sure to turn your phone off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyro6128

Reaction score
How about Enron employees who invested in their stock? "Lol" these are all laid on in the contracts, aren't they?

Did you honestly compare someone using their phone while roaming and racking up charges that are outlined in a contract, with blatant illegal activities. You do realize that the reason enron got into trouble was the fact that they were falsifying their financial statements to make it appear that their income was significantly higher than it was, while also hiding their liabilities? This is a big no no for a company that is publicly traded. Verizon didn't forge or lie about anything. You're comparing apples to prostate exams, it doesnt work.

wil318466

Reaction score
How about Enron employees who invested in their stock? "Lol" these are all laid on in the contracts, aren't they?

Did you honestly compare someone using their phone while roaming and racking up charges that are outlined in a contract, with blatant illegal activities. You do realize that the reason enron got into trouble was the fact that they were falsifying their financial statements to make it appear that their income was significantly higher than it was, while also hiding their liabilities? This is a big no no for a company that is publicly traded. Verizon didn't forge or lie about anything. You're comparing apples to prostate exams, it doesnt work.

Of the 4 examples, admittedly this was one of the weakest ones, exactly for the reason you cited. While I was writing it I was thinking more in terms of there being accepted risk in equity investments, thought about it, then left it in anyway.

Picking out the weakest one of the four doesn't make the other 3 less valid. The point I was trying to make was pretty obvious.

peterjariel

Reaction score
Ok I started reading this thread earlier this morning I see it has 14 pages now did the op ever come back and say what happend? Did he canceled the contract or did he get a deal?

ShowTime

Reaction score
Oh, and to the OP, call again. When you get the same response from the CS rep, ask to speak to a supervisor. Remain calm, polite and non-combative, and just clearly explain the situation. If there is anything that can be done, they will do it. If not, thank him/her for trying, hang up and pay the bill. I don't see switching carriers being any real solution. You'll still have to pay Verizon their money, you'll be downgrading to a carrier with less than ideal service, and you'll still be under the same basic use rules/charges, all because you (your mom) did in fact technically incur the charges legitimately.

There, answered. Can we close this thread now? :closed_2:

MrKleen

Reaction score
You are being silly by saying your mom didn't know what she was doing. She took the phone with here didn't she? take the very generous $75 gift and pay the bill that you are responsible for. Since you were in charge of sending them on the trip, you should have told her to leave the phone at home if you didn't want a bill. Man up.... and stop trying to use the "I didn't know" ignorance ploy.

Or cry like a baby and go elsewhere.... and see what poor service is all about. Sprint is making progress in the area of support, but not long ago they were the worst, followed by At&t.

DroidBoy22

Reaction score
In all honesty, I can see where the OP is coming from. I don't see why everyone is bashing him over this. He NEVER said it's Verizons fault. He made a mistake and acknowledged it. An example was when my car tabs were expired. I got pulled over for it by a police officer and he wrote me a ticket. True, it was MY fault for not knowing, but I went to talk to a hearing officer and he waived the fee because he saw I renewed it immediately. Point of it is, Verizon isn't gonna die if they don't this guys chump change, and he will learn a lesson and never do it again. For pete sake, if what he says is true and he has been on Verizon for 10 years making sure to pay the bills on time and not giving them hassle, he should get that waived. Verizon should be more worried about loosing a good customer than a few hundred bucks.

carbonnoid

Reaction score
But your not understanding the fact that, its not that you were provided a service, if you provided a service, and they didnt know you needed to get paid, would you let them go? It doesnt matter if its 1 dollar of a million dollars, a contract is a contract. Verizon did the right thing and gave him 21% off. You need to take the emotion out of it, and base it on facts, theres a binding contract, he broke it, they took into consideration that he is a good customer and gave him 75 dollars off. Its like you cheating on your wife, you made a mistake, and acknowledged it, so she should waive the divorce? either way

[video=youtube;uW4E7VM-zdI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW4E7VM-zdI&feature=related]YouTube - Play "Keyboard Gato" Off, Keyboard Cat![/video]

snappingfish

Reaction score
exactly!!

In all honesty, I can see where the OP is coming from. I don't see why everyone is bashing him over this. He NEVER said it's Verizons fault. He made a mistake and acknowledged it. An example was when my car tabs were expired. I got pulled over for it by a police officer and he wrote me a ticket. True, it was MY fault for not knowing, but I went to talk to a hearing officer and he waived the fee because he saw I renewed it immediately. Point of it is, Verizon isn't gonna die if they don't this guys chump change, and he will learn a lesson and never do it again. For pete sake, if what he says is true and he has been on Verizon for 10 years making sure to pay the bills on time and not giving them hassle, he should get that waived. Verizon should be more worried about loosing a good customer than a few hundred bucks.

+1

I guess I think of it like this.....I am retired, but have owned a couple of productive businesses during my time. I would rather decide on the side of humanity, rather than run with a hard edge. Who is going to get my business? The person who can laugh, and say, "OK...I understand it could have been an oversight on your behalf, or maybe your mom just learned a lesson." I think that the business model would certainly promote great 'word of mouth' advertising, as opposed to having 6-7 pages of bad-mouth talked about ya! (with the exception of a few Scrooges and 'need to be right at any cost' black-hearted dummies).

VZW could afford to excuse the error, but the didn't. I would probably try to escalate to a level that had the option, but in either case, I would either pay the ETF, and go elsewhere, or, if I were close to contract end, refuse any offer they made from the retention dept. (Knowing that ANY competing carrier would MATCH or BEAT any offer that the Big V made, for the sake of drawing a customer away!

Jus' sayin', thats all!

'Night
fish

DroidBoy22

Reaction score
But your not understanding the fact that, its not that you were provided a service, if you provided a service, and they didnt know you needed to get paid, would you let them go? It doesnt matter if its 1 dollar of a million dollars, a contract is a contract. Verizon did the right thing and gave him 21% off. You need to take the emotion out of it, and base it on facts, theres a binding contract, he broke it, they took into consideration that he is a good customer and gave him 75 dollars off. Its like you cheating on your wife, you made a mistake, and acknowledged it, so she should waive the divorce? either way

Cheating on your wife doesn't happen by mistake. If you feel that emotion should be left out, then more power to you. If it were not for emotion/opinions contracts wouldn't even exist. Everyone has been cut slack one way or another at some period of their time. Point is, in the end Verizon will loose more money with the choice they made than gain, but it doesn't matter because a contract is a contract I suppose.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Auto shops are notorious for lying to customers. In the past, you'd take your car to the shop and they'd rack up charges. Your bill would grow through the roof without you knowing it. Auto shops were in a position of power and they abused it. Many people don't have the technical knowledge to understand what's wrong and how to fix it. So, the government created the Bureau of Automotive Repair to look out for consumers' rights.

Before performing any work, by law, the shop must provide an estimate.

Before you check out of the grocery store, you know exactly what you're going to pay. There's no surprise. The grocery store isn't in a position of power. Whenever a company is in a position to abuse their power, I think consumer protection is in order. Why should companies be allowed to surprise you like that?

I think the cell phone industry needs consumer protection. Cell phones are very complicated these days, just like cars. Carriers are in a position of power just like auto shops. I think that carriers should alert you when your bill starts to become exorbitant. What is so bad about this? What are the negative points to this policy?

In less than 45 days the FCC's public comment period on this issue will be over. Whatever you think about this issue, even if you disagree with me, go to the FCC web site and make yourself heard while you still have a chance.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ments-fcc-anti-bill-shock-policy-act-now.html

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
This blows because we'll all end up paying for this bill if the loud mouth minority gets it way... this money doesn't just go away.

Imagine if verizon has to answer all these thousands of calls every week and give away 600 bucks every time... or worse.... monitor every phone line and notify customers when they are screwing up.. how much would all that cost?? How expensive will our bill be then??

But this is america... if you open a business here we own you... and you better give us everything we want... all in a smart little device that fits in our pocket... and it better work 100% of the time... no matter where we are... and the battery better last for a week... and you better not charge me for a bunch of data I used because I got my mom the smartphone with the cool solitaire game on it and didn't explain how the rest of the deal works...

Remember when doctors and lawyers were the only ones with cell phones cuzz they were so expensive...???
Stuff like this is pushing it back in that direction...

Status
Not open for further replies.