Going on a cruise? Make sure to turn your phone off.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by swaldrop, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Entitlements... if you met me, you would know I am the MOST ANTI-entitlement person that you could ever meet. I look at it this way, and a winning argument for me with Verizon (OP take notice). If you notify Verizon ahead of time you can set up international roaming for $60 and get a credit for unused time. If you don't notify Verizon it cost $600! $60 or $600... based on a prior notification. Do you think Verizon has ANY more or ANY less actual dollars in cost for that same exact service. No they do not. If you claim this hardship on every vacation, I say it is on you. But for one time, I say it is customer service 101 to take care of it.

2. ricks

ricks Member

Ratings:
    +4
    What is a Dolt?

3. jozhua

jozhua Member

Ratings:
    +0
    lol! How on earth you can compare a collective of workers organized to protect their interests to one soul is beyond me. Your scenario would've worked better with a contractor not getting paid for a service.

Of coarse its not fair. I'm not even saying the OP is in the right. I guess maybe some of you have been on phone forums too long to realize not everyone knows the ins & outs of everything their device is doing. I have a very tolerant attitude towards knowing new technology and I learn new things everyday. IMO, Verizon should "be a person" in this instance and give the OP a freebie. This business practice seems far too predatory to me and I can't really get on board with that.

4. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You're still arguing about the spelling of fanboy.

"It" flew over my head? How so? Why don't you explain it to me? Why don't you talk about the issue at hand while you're at it? Forum rules...3rd definition...

5. jozhua

jozhua Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel.

6. VIRominoff

VIRominoff Member

Ratings:
    +0

This should have been on the first page. I can't believe this is 9 pages...

the first thing I thought was.

Yeah...VZW could have handled that better...
    at the same time WTF? I didn't ask the dealer to teach me how to drive my car. I don't ask HP to teach me windows...

Your mom made a mistake. So you need to grow up and either A: make a deal B: pay it and drop service.

WTF is up with this idea that because it's a large company they just throw away money? Now if a CSR lied that's one thing....

7. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Should we get rid of all consumer protection laws then?

8. cehammond

cehammond New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Class Action

Definitely class action. Haven't you ever gotten one of those letters that say "XYZ Corp has admitted to price fixing of computer memory and a class action suit established a fund to pay all injured parties"?

The attorneys make about $30 mil and you get a check for $0.46. But you either feel better for sticking it to the company, or a lot worse when you realize how much work the law firm did for their $30 mil.

But I still feel Verizon should direct you to some kind of on-line tutorial outlining the pitfalls. In the last two days I have become very impressed with the Incredible, but there are a lot of people like his mother who don't understand the potential of the unit and just trudge along without ever knowing. Think how many apps might be sold if everyone like her understood how it works, not to mention the good will if it were Verizon providing the information. Definitely worth someone's time I would think. (But even if you've never used a smart phone, I think most people have run into minute overcharges and how many minutes it takes to double your monthly bill.

9. VIRominoff

VIRominoff Member

Ratings:
    +0

...Ok...let's be honest...

I pay 25K for a car...
    I don't blame the dealer that I didn't know to use the clutch (with cars now no one will no what a clutch is in 10 years XD).

Here...I'm going to shorten your post and remove the fluff..

"People shouldn't have to read legal documents. They should have it explained to them."

How about we stop being lazy and read.

</readabookrant>

Also price fixing is not the same as "we are going to charge out the *** if you don't read this!"

This is why Law and emotions don't mix.

10. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, should we get rid of the law that requires an autoshop to give us an estimate before doing work? Sure, we read the sign on their wall $90/hour. Should we "know better" when we get a huge bill?

The lady on the cruise ship could be anyone's mom. She got charged hundreds of dollars for checking the time on her phone. You don't think that needs to stop?

11. JCo352

JCo352 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Your analogies make no sense. A clutch would be more relatable to operating the unlock screen on the phone. The VZW bill, would be more related to the loan's terms and conditions of your new $25,000 car.

12. carbonnoid

carbonnoid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, in real life I would call you a "dolt" and you would do what? And I would call the police, and you would claim police brutality. Anything to beat the system I bet.

anyway

Your agreeing to the terms to pay for a certain amount of time and data. If you go against that, you will be penalized. Its really not a hard thing to understand, for some reason, you may feel like your getting your jollys off beating verizon, idno, but in my opinion your trying to beat the system because you feel entitled that because you didnt know, then you shouldnt be punished. So basically, you were caught on to catch a predator, she told you she was 13 and she wanted to have sex with you, but because you didnt know its illegal to have sex with little kids, they should let it slide the first time. I know this is an extreme example, but that is what you are saying. You are paying for a product, by the minute, and you complain that you need to be updated, so goto vwz website and it updates you, send them a text, and it will text you back, how are you comparing your car getting fixed to continuously using a service? Its comparing apples to oranges. My car breaks down, I goto my mechanic, he looks at it, ok this will cost 622 dollars. You are not using him 24/7 all day everyday. You signed a contract, you agreed to the terms, you chose not to read those terms, nor understand them, and then blame someone else for your problems.

Like its not even fine print or anything, its in big letters for you to read it.
    Cruise Ship Coverage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
do i need to adjust my phone service for a caribbean trip

going on a cruise but dont want to gt charged for using phon

how do i know im roaming when on cruise ship

how do you make sure you phone doesnt get charges will international

how to cut cell phone off when on a cruise

how to shut off completely i 4 phone while on cruise ship

how to turn off smartphone for cruise
what setting do cell phones need to be on for cruise not to be charged