When am I elgible for discounts on a 2 year plan?

SonRK

Reaction score
Hi all

I have an interesting situation. I bought my Original Droid 1 back in December of 2009 on a 2 year contract. With the constant headphone problems I've been having (crackling + stopping/starting my music) and I don't want to pay $89 for an insurance claim for a phone with the same design flaw. I already received a refurbished one on my warrenty, but as it's been over a year I would have to go through Asurion now. I have opted to pick up the new HTC Thunderbolt.

Now at some point (couple of months ago), my mother wanted to be a part of my Verizon plan. She works for USPS so she's eligible for some monthly discounts, and the Verizon Store employee told me that she should be the new account holder and I would go under her account. No problem I thought, we save 20% off our monthly bill and all should go well.

My mom decided she had no need for a smartphone so then she terminated her contract and number (She got a Droid 2). The employee kept the account open with my number so I could at least still receive the discounts as the account is still under my moms name.

Since it's been over a year since I personally purchased my phone, I was wondering if I could receive some sort of discounts, BUT if I look at the account online it says I'm eligible for discounts on :

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/972/upgrade.png

and then if I click on it, I get a different bar and a diff date:

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2904/upgrade2.png

It seems that having my original account terminated, then joining my moms account, and then having my number turned into the sole number on the account really screwed things up in regarding when I can/should upgrade at discounted pricing and when the contract ends apparently.

Is this something I have to personally bring up with Verizon via phone or at their stores? I know it's an awkward situation, but it never occurred to me to check the upgrade dates after my mom returned her Droid 2

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah that basically screwed you because they restarted your contract after she returned her d2.

You can try talking to them. Don't know how you will fare.

Good luck.

lockman

Reaction score
You're eligible 7-23. Verizon's policy now is 20 months from purchaseinstead of new every two. One year early upgrades went away last month.

OP
S

SonRK

Reaction score
That's what the first link says, but the 2nd picture shows much later dates

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You're eligible 7-23. Verizon's policy now is 20 months from purchaseinstead of new every two. One year early upgrades went away last month.

This is not true. I have an early upgrade available. One year was 1/29/11.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I take it back this 20 month date of July whatever should be correct.

You still need to talk to someone about why the dates are different.