Need Help Tracking Elderly Parents With My Droid

Reaction score
They make such things for hikers I think...little gps devices that phone home from time to time.

I use Theft Aware on my Droid that will send google map links to another phone, on command, or on a schedule. You can also call and listen to the remote phone, or do a million other things. It will use GPS, but keep in mind GPS sucks inside of buildings.

http://www.liveviewgps.com/gps+elderly+locater.html

http://www.emfinders.com/how-it-works

http://www.spyassociates.com/hiking-camping-emergency-gps-tracking-personal-locator-p-2979.html

Last edited:

Canadroid

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. As I stated above, I'm now looking into just a GPS device to put in her purse. Does anyone know of such a device that can be tracked using my Droid easily? Does any company that make such a device had a Droid app that can track it preferably.

It's just hard to use the browser of my original Droid when some pages showing their own maps may run on Java or Flash (which doesn't always work properly on Droid).

I don't know if a droid or other cell phone is the right answer for you on ths one...

I came very close to getting a product called GPS Snitch about two years ago...seems to have a new parent company now since I last shopped these.

It isn't the cheapest solution; however you could hard attach it to her purse or car or something she is likely to always have or be near when out of the house. Since it is browser tracking friendly you s/b able to check location from your own droid at will, IIRC it's unlimited tracking with the mid-rate or premium plans. (~$14-20/month)

Only weak link there is the module doesn't have endless battery life, but if you are constantly visiting Mom you could likely take care of checking that every couple of days, or get two units and swap them out.

Sorry to hear about this issue of yours; it is good you are being proactive about it.

OP
H

HamDog

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone here and their response. I appreciate all the help.

So far, it seems that Life360 may be the best option for my needs. I can buy a small device that looks like the old pagers ($99) and put it in my mom's purse. Life360 makes an Android app where I can track her ($10/month for service).

But, before I try that route, they also have a feature where I can track my mom's existing phone! I downloaded their app to my Droid, signed in, then typed my mom's cell phone number. They send her a text to see if she will allow being tracked. But my mom doesn't have texting as she won't be able to work it. So I'm gonna add texting to her account tonight and then test it when i get there tomorrow. This is all for $4.99/month. If it works, it will be well worth it. But the reviews so far say it won't.

I'll keep this thread posted just in case any one else in my shoes stumbles upon this thread.