G2 Review after a week

GadgetRick

Reaction score
So I got my G2 a week ago. This is with T-Mobile. Here are my thoughts on it so far....

So far, I'm LOVING this thing! It's eating up everything I throw at it. Supa Fast! WiFi actually WORKS, which is nice since I've been on Motorola phones for my last 3 phones and none of them worked well on WiFi.

Not a ton of bloatware on the phone--which is nice. Although any bloatware is no good (IMO) but T-Mobile seems to have kept it fairly low.

The screen really is spectacular. I'm incredibly impressed with the screen. I used to teach color theory and I come from a printing background so I'm a bit anal about screens and I just love this one.

Camera is actually doing a better than decent job for a phone. I'm a pro photographer so it's tough to impress me with a camera--especially in a phone--but this one is actually a bit impressive in what it can capture. I'm pleasantly surprised how good it is. No, not replacing my other gear but I'm not ashamed to post photos of my boys at Disney on Facebook any longer. ;)

Not 100% sold on the button placement yet. I can't say I dislike it but not sure I actually like it just yet. I think, if they moved them closer to the middle of the phone, it would feel better. Where they are now, the phone feels unbalanced in my hand.

The back is a fingerprint factory. I knew that going in but man! I don't like cases but I may see if I can find a skin for this one.

I like the ability to double tap the screen to wake up/put to sleep the phone. It's convenient although sometimes it doesn't quite detect your taps when waking the phone up. I'm not upset about this because I don't want it waking up when it shouldn't.

It has the gesture support and the facial recognition that the S4 has. I've not used it but I know it's there.

It even restarts quite fast...not that I've needed to but it's nice to know it will do it quickly when needed.

Speaker phone can be slightly tinny but not difficult to understand or anything. People I've talked to say it sounds good on their end even when I'm using the speaker phone--something I do a LOT.

One thing I have noticed--and it surprised me--is, at times, I'm not getting a signal--like right now here at my house where I should have a good signal. My wife has the iPhone 5c (I know, not my fault!) and she's got a signal and this has happened in the past. I may stop by the store and inquire about this. I should have a signal here at the house for sure.

Overall, this is the best phone I've owned. I really can't complain about it other than the fingerprints on the back. :)

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Oh, forgot to mention the battery. This has been great. I bang away on the phone off and on all day. I unplug it at about 7am and don't plug it back in until about 11ish (pm). Streaming audio, emails, downloads, calls, etc. Still have 40ish% left most nights.

Used it at Disney where I was uploading photos to FB and checking other things all day. Never had the battery die. I think the lowest I got was like 12% and that was at 11:30pm!

Can't complain about the battery!

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
I just picked up the G2 also over the weekend,came from G-NEX,wow what a difference,night and day!!!!!!
It really is a great phone.

I've also discovered the battery life is awesome with it. I banged away on it yesterday all day and it's now 2:30 in the afternoon and I still have 30% left (didn't charge it overnight). Really can't complain about battery life like I usually do.

Astrix

Reaction score
Awesome review :thumbup:

Hello G2 D802 (Intl) user here :beer:

TapaTalking from Republic™Of Android

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
The G2 is an awesome phone. I actually love the button placement. After getting used to it, it felt natural and made me wonder why no one had thought of it before. Screen is gorgeous. Signal strength is close to that of all of my Motorola devices. Tons of stock customizing features. Camera takes great pictures for a phone. The only thing I am disappointed in is the battery life. I expected a little better out of a 3000mAh battery. But I am used to having the Razr Maxx.

I have had it for 3 weeks and just picked up the Droid Maxx last week to compare and decide which one I will keep. Battery life of the Maxx is unbelievable. Build quality and signal strength is what I expect from Motorola. Top shelf. The display does leave alot to be desired compared to the G2.

If anyone is interested here is a thread I posted comparing the two.

A little review of the Droid Maxx vs the LG G2

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
The G2 is an awesome phone. I actually love the button placement. After getting used to it, it felt natural and made me wonder why no one had thought of it before. Screen is gorgeous. Signal strength is close to that of all of my Motorola devices. Tons of stock customizing features. Camera takes great pictures for a phone. The only thing I am disappointed in is the battery life. I expected a little better out of a 3000mAh battery. But I am used to having the Razr Maxx.

I have had it for 3 weeks and just picked up the Droid Maxx last week to compare and decide which one I will keep. Battery life of the Maxx is unbelievable. Build quality and signal strength is what I expect from Motorola. Top shelf. The display does leave alot to be desired compared to the G2.

If anyone is interested here is a thread I posted comparing the two.

A little review of the Droid Maxx vs the LG G2
Honestly, since the last 3 Moto devices I've had have (eventually just died), I'm done with their devices until Google can prove they can make a better phone. I also got sick of their WiFi which was just plain terrible.

I've found the battery life to be nothing short of amazing with this phone although I never had a Razr Maxx so I can't comment on battery life with that phone.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Honestly, since the last 3 Moto devices I've had have (eventually just died), I'm done with their devices until Google can prove they can make a better phone. I also got sick of their WiFi which was just plain terrible.

I've found the battery life to be nothing short of amazing with this phone although I never had a Razr Maxx so I can't comment on battery life with that phone.

I have had every Moto smart phone that has been released with the exception of the HD and never had an issue one. The thing I am worried about with the G2 longevity. LG unfortunately does not have a track record with high end devices yet. And their reputation in other things is questionable and sketchy. I love the phone. Just not sure if I wanna take the risk.

Oh and take a second to read my comparison. I have signal strengths in there too.

Tap'd from my Droid Maxx