Sooo are you happy with your G2????

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I'm a die-hard Motorola fan and very anti-Samsung. Just got done with a two week run with the Moto X. Nice phone but just can't constitute the price while still having a smaller screen. Just happened to run across the G2 so I went to take a look at it. Pretty impressed. Zippy performance, gorgeous edge to edge screen, lots of customizing features OOTB and feels good in the hand for the size. I usually shy away from anything that has LG on it. But this phone has my attention. So for all of you that have one what are your impressions. And especially if you have come from a Moto device how does it compare. My biggest concern is reception. I have no experience with LG smartphones so this would be a deal breaker. Moto phones are the best for reception in my fringe area.

JKZ

Reaction score
This is my first LG and I was a bit skeptical at first too. However, I've had the phone for about a week now, and I can honestly say, so far this is the best phone I've owned. I've owned a couple motorola's and a samsung galaxy nexus in the past and this blows them away.
The screen is amazing, and the speed is outstanding. There is absolutely zero lag with anything. I wasn't sure how I'd like LG's software, as I've usually been more of a stock Android guy. However, since playing with it the last week, I've really grown to like it. It doesn't seem too intrusive and I actually like some of the customization it offers without having to root it. Some of the features are a bit of a gimmick in my opinion, such as the "slide aside" multi tasking. But I just don't use it so it's not a big deal. You can also hide the Q-slide menu bar from your notification screen which makes that a lot nicer in my opinion. Much less cluttered looking. As far as the reception goes, it is much better than my Galaxy Nexus was, which isn't saying a lot, but honestly I've had no reception issues and get a much stronger signal in my house than I did with my Nexus.

Perhaps the best thing about this phone is the battery life. It is amazing! With my Nexus, I'd have to charge several times throughout the day and could only manage a max of about two hours of screen time. With the G2 I'm easily getting through the day on a single charge with moderate use. At the end of the last few days I've been going 16 hours on a charge with 3+ hours screen time and I still have 40% or more battery left! It is such a nice change from the Nexus, that thing was the worst I've ever owned.

Just get it, I don't think you'll be disappointed. :icon_ banana:

jamjr74

Reaction score
Why does everyone say they can't justify the price of the moto x? Because of the specs only? The device has a great build quality and is smooth as silk and is priced like every other device. Don't believe the hype when it comes to specs.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 2

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I do not have a g2 but this is interesting to note Comparing the new Moto X camera software to other Androids | Android Central

By the way where is hugh Jass he did a nice review of the G2 and commented a week ago that he didnt think there was enough interest surrounding this phone. I am sure he'll make his way to this thread.

I'm here, obviously Garemlin has handled the device and has a good basis from that so his concerns are more about the long term use of the G2 VS Moto. Over the last few devices I purchased strictly Motorola for one reason and one reason alone, their radio's are the best on the market. Countless times I'd be somewhere surfing the internet or on a call next to someone who was complaining about not having service, even from the same provider (Verizon). This made me a believer since the D1.

LG hit a home run with a great device with a solid build and blistering features, but what surprised me the most and what was my biggest fear about going away from Motorola was the signal strength because I live in a weak service area (an island). It's not just a good runner up with Moto, not only does it match Moto, but exceeds it. Based on the signal strength VS the Bionic I had which smoked my girlfriends S4, it's actually better. In places where I'd lose 4G I keep 4G, in places where I had no signal I keep 3G. In fact compared to my Bionic which was anywhere from 9-14% without signal based on battery stats throughout my work day, I now show that I never lose signal at all. Ever. In a building, in a bathroom, in an industrial kitchen, a basement...I keep service.

That to me is worth more than any processor, feature set, or ram figure... the phone works.

Of course I could list my quibbles and complaints as anyone can about anything, but even these things are so minor in scale compared to the devices of yore it's not even worth mentioning, and this is the first time I've held a phone and thought to myself yes, this is actually short term future proof. Go get a G2 and if you find it's not for you return it. I'd be shocked if you did.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Good to know about the reception quality HJ. That was my biggest concern. I live in a fringe area so my reception is always sketchy. Hence the reason I always go for Moto devices. Droid, Droid X, Bionic, Razr, and Razr Maxx as well as two previous flippers. The two Sammy devices I owned, the G'Nex and SIII were epic fails. Not only did they have lousy reception they drained the battery extremely quick trying to pull a signal.

jam: For me it is screen size. I have been running 4.3" devices for several years. When you add in the onscreen buttons that is basically what you get with the Moto X. I will admit I love the form factor and new design. But if I am gonna shell out $600 it will be for a device with the same specs but a bigger screen like the Ultra or Maxx. If it was $400 off contract I would have kept it without thinking twice.

JKZ: I honestly hate skins and add-ons. Specially Touchwiz. But I actually find many of the LG features non-intrusive, and actually pretty handy. Tap on/tap off is really nice. The customizable toggles and quick launch apps in the notification are really nice. They have much less cartoony choices for system fonts. And the camera UI is pretty sweet. Though the twist of the wrist to activate on the Moto devices is a big win IMO. I am sure there are some things that would bother me. But I can ignore them. The second biggest concern besides reception is how fast this device will be upgraded. Unless LG is on top of their game it will take a while to update all of that added software. But this is a flagship device so hopefully they won't disappoint.

jamjr74

Reaction score
Gar I hear ya. I actually have an s4 too and am having a hard time deciding which to keep. Like both devices. Prefer build of moto but screen size of s4. I use Nova launcher so touch wiz is basically a non issue. I do feel that the moto runs smoother even with lesser specs. I ha E to sell one but can't decide. Lol.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 2

jasonbeth1022

Reaction score
Ive had this thing 3 days now and i have to say coming from a Gs3 and a maxx hd so far this G2 is smoking them.
I love the huge screen and the battery so far is on par with the maxx hd . Will find out more when i go back into work on Monday. The building i work in is a signal killer and the only phone to really hold a signal in there was my old 4S.
So i am looking forward to seeing how this phone does there.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Ive had this thing 3 days now and i have to say coming from a Gs3 and a maxx hd so far this G2 is smoking them.
I love the huge screen and the battery so far is on par with the maxx hd . Will find out more when i go back into work on Monday. The building i work in is a signal killer and the only phone to really hold a signal in there was my old 4S.
So i am looking forward to seeing how this phone does there.

Be sure to post back and let us know.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
to note: As I navigate through the different android sites and forums I am noticing the a few more talks about the G2 and so far from the different comments and post I saw it is looking like a good device. I am even more interested in the Lg nexus 5 IF the device end up taking after its brother like the nexus 4 did the g1

Reaction score
Anyone experiencing overheating or becoming warm enough to bother?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Anyone experiencing overheating or becoming warm enough to bother?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Only while pushing the 800 to it's limits in direct sunlight. I live about as close to the equator as you can get in the US and maybe like 3 times I've felt it be noticeably warm in my hot sweaty hands at work while gaming on a lunch break for 45min to 1hr straight.

Ksupernor2

Reaction score
I'm here, obviously Garemlin has handled the device and has a good basis from that so his concerns are more about the long term use of the G2 VS Moto. Over the last few devices I purchased strictly Motorola for one reason and one reason alone, their radio's are the best on the market. Countless times I'd be somewhere surfing the internet or on a call next to someone who was complaining about not having service, even from the same provider (Verizon). This made me a believer since the D1.

LG hit a home run with a great device with a solid build and blistering features, but what surprised me the most and what was my biggest fear about going away from Motorola was the signal strength because I live in a weak service area (an island). It's not just a good runner up with Moto, not only does it match Moto, but exceeds it. Based on the signal strength VS the Bionic I had which smoked my girlfriends S4, it's actually better. In places where I'd lose 4G I keep 4G, in places where I had no signal I keep 3G. In fact compared to my Bionic which was anywhere from 9-14% without signal based on battery stats throughout my work day, I now show that I never lose signal at all. Ever. In a building, in a bathroom, in an industrial kitchen, a basement...I keep service.

That to me is worth more than any processor, feature set, or ram figure... the phone works.

Of course I could list my quibbles and complaints as anyone can about anything, but even these things are so minor in scale compared to the devices of yore it's not even worth mentioning, and this is the first time I've held a phone and thought to myself yes, this is actually short term future proof. Go get a G2 and if you find it's not for you return it. I'd be shocked if you did.

You have me thinking about the phone more now. I also live and work on a island and where I am is at the very north end of the island and it is a weak signal area. My s4 is no where near as good as all my past moto phones (bionic, razr maxx, razr hd) . I was going to wait for the Droid maxx price to drop but now I'm thinking G2 because the reception sounds good. Plus Verizon has the coupon code for 30 bucks off..... Definitely got me thinking.

rjenk

Reaction score
Just upgraded from a Razr Maxx last week. I picked up a HTC One and used it for four days before returning it and picking up the LG G2 and I could not be happier. I was looking forward to the HTC but hated some of the features of Sense 5, especially not being able to get rid of BlinkFeed. I really liked the design of the HTC but could not get past some of the issues and did not really want to use a third party launcher. Also had issues with their Exchange email implementation. Finally, battery life was not that good...especially coming from the Maxx, and the lack of root was the final straw.

I went back and forth between getting the Moto X and G2 but decided on the larger screen (getting old sucks) and faster processor. Samsung products were out of the question due to my previous experience with the Nexus and poor reception.

After a few days with the G2...I absolutely love it and do not miss the Razr at all. Battery life has been great, I like the features of the phone and launcher (except for icon grouping), and it is very fast. Reception has been fantastic and has been equal to or better than what I enjoyed with the Motorola. Although there are some questionable features in their overlay/launcher, they allow a variety of customization so I was able to turn off things I did not care for. I do miss the SmartActions on the Razr so I am looking for a replacement (not a Tasker fan due to the complexity so looking at other programs). I also had some concerns about the rear buttons but have quickly adapted to their location. The location for volume control is logical and functions well when on a call. Some have noted that the lack of an SD slot is an issue but for me 32Gb of storage is more than adequate since I do not store large numbers of MP3 files or videos.

This is a great phone and really needs to be better promoted. Picked it up at Best Buy where they price matched it at $149 (showed them the Amazon price but they said they did not match phone pricing from Amazon but they said another site had it at that price so they agreed to discount it). They allowed me $70 for my Razr so I was out the door for $80 plus tax. As others have noted, long term I do have some concerns about timely updates from LG, but with the ability to root, I am not as concerned. Again, overall a great phone.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Just upgraded from a Razr Maxx last week. I picked up a HTC One and used it for four days before returning it and picking up the LG G2 and I could not be happier. I was looking forward to the HTC but hated some of the features of Sense 5, especially not being able to get rid of BlinkFeed. I really liked the design of the HTC but could not get past some of the issues and did not really want to use a third party launcher. Also had issues with their Exchange email implementation. Finally, battery life was not that good...especially coming from the Maxx, and the lack of root was the final straw.

I went back and forth between getting the Moto X and G2 but decided on the larger screen (getting old sucks) and faster processor. Samsung products were out of the question due to my previous experience with the Nexus and poor reception.

After a few days with the G2...I absolutely love it and do not miss the Razr at all. Battery life has been great, I like the features of the phone and launcher (except for icon grouping), and it is very fast. Reception has been fantastic and has been equal to or better than what I enjoyed with the Motorola. Although there are some questionable features in their overlay/launcher, they allow a variety of customization so I was able to turn off things I did not care for. I do miss the SmartActions on the Razr so I am looking for a replacement (not a Tasker fan due to the complexity so looking at other programs). I also had some concerns about the rear buttons but have quickly adapted to their location. The location for volume control is logical and functions well when on a call. Some have noted that the lack of an SD slot is an issue but for me 32Gb of storage is more than adequate since I do not store large numbers of MP3 files or videos.

This is a great phone and really needs to be better promoted. Picked it up at Best Buy where they price matched it at $149 (showed them the Amazon price but they said they did not match phone pricing from Amazon but they said another site had it at that price so they agreed to discount it). They allowed me $70 for my Razr so I was out the door for $80 plus tax. As others have noted, long term I do have some concerns about timely updates from LG, but with the ability to root, I am not as concerned. Again, overall a great phone.

About the Smart Actions concerns, here is thread you'll want to check out.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-applications/247746-app-similar-smart-actions.html