Switching from Razr Maxx to G2 and Need Feedback From Others Who Have Done The Same

YellowJacket

Reaction score
OK, so I have had my Razr Maxx for almost two years and in a couple weeks I'll be eligible for an upgrade. Most of my co-workers have GS4's and aside from the poor battery life, they are happy with them and trying to push me in that direction. However, I like to research things more carefully and all signs point to the G2 as a far superior device.

I've "played" with the G2, GS4 ad HTC One a little in the Verizon store and still like the G2 for its screen and from what I have read, the battery life as well.

I work in a fairly old hospital that gets decent Verizon reception but there are a few black holes that my Maxx will hold a signal in while others do not so that is very important to me as the docs and other PA's I work with all text back and forth quite a bit. So reception and good battery are a must. For those of you that have switched from the Maxx to the G2, are you happy?

I've been running rooted on the maxx with a plain vanilla CM 10.2 ROM and the maxx is fast. I've read a lot about the G2 and the LG addons that to some are either a "nice addition" and to others a bit of a pain. Is it easy to disable the addons and how? Also, is there root yet or on the horizon?

So, I'm looking for the good and bad experiences from those of you who have switched from the Maxx to the G2... if anyone has switched from the GS4 to the G2, your input is highly valued too.

Thanks,

David

walkerstempe

Reaction score
I gotta wait till 1/29. My non rooted Bionic is hanging in there. Screen flickers, FDR about once a quarter, but still going even with the red dot inside. Love my on sale 50 buck lapdock, my desk dock, and car dock. Gonna miss them. Although I was screaming about no SD card, my 16gb bionic card is not even half full, so it should be no issue. G2 has great specs. Should still be a top 5 latest and greatest, end of January for me. Can't wait. Alarm clock time for the Bionic, I guess.

Ksupernor2

Reaction score
OK, so I have had my Razr Maxx for almost two years and in a couple weeks I'll be eligible for an upgrade. Most of my co-workers have GS4's and aside from the poor battery life, they are happy with them and trying to push me in that direction. However, I like to research things more carefully and all signs point to the G2 as a far superior device.

I've "played" with the G2, GS4 ad HTC One a little in the Verizon store and still like the G2 for its screen and from what I have read, the battery life as well.

I work in a fairly old hospital that gets decent Verizon reception but there are a few black holes that my Maxx will hold a signal in while others do not so that is very important to me as the docs and other PA's I work with all text back and forth quite a bit. So reception and good battery are a must. For those of you that have switched from the Maxx to the G2, are you happy?

I've been running rooted on the maxx with a plain vanilla CM 10.2 ROM and the maxx is fast. I've read a lot about the G2 and the LG addons that to some are either a "nice addition" and to others a bit of a pain. Is it easy to disable the addons and how? Also, is there root yet or on the horizon?

So, I'm looking for the good and bad experiences from those of you who have switched from the Maxx to the G2... if anyone has switched from the GS4 to the G2, your input is highly valued too.

Thanks,

David

I've had the RAZR maxx and RAZR hd , s3 and the GS4. I got rid of the GS4 to get the G2. I wouldn't go back to the S4 and this my first LG phone. The battery is superior but you can change the s4's battery. The screen in my opinion is better. The G2 screen is more accurate and the S4 is over saturated. The whites are much whiter on the G2 and the blacks are blacker on the s4. The screen size and look is better for my taste on the G2. The camera is way better simply because of the image stabilization. The back are buttons are different but you get used to them. Knock on feature works good for me. I also like the Optimus ui better than the touchwiz. This is the best smart phone I've ever owned period. Both phones are good but I think the G2 takes the S4 unless you need a removable battery and need a lot of storage. My battery life averages around 23-24hrs. Either way you will be making a huge upgrade. I was messing with the RAZR maxx I gave my mom the other night it and it isn't even in the same ballpark as the G2. You're gonna be happy no matter what.......

NWRULES

Reaction score
You're in luck! I just got rid of my razr maxx for a G2 a month ago, and it's been nothing but a dream. It just goes to show me how much I can't stand Motorola, still. The maxx battery was good, but the phone was so glitchy and slow. The G2 is ridiculous. So much smoother in everything, and radio reception has been excellent too. And honestly, the battery is a tad smaller in numbers on the G2 compared to the maxx , but I get better battery life out of G2 than I ever did with the maxx. I would get it man

GrumpyOldGeek

Reaction score
I came from a Bionic about 2 weeks ago and don't regret it. My requirements for a phone have always been:
1-A replaceable battery. The G2 doesn't have this option, however, I can go 2 days of normal usage on a full charge. Not bad in my opinion. Keep in mind, your mileage may vary due to the usual
circumstances such as tower location, inside a metal building, etc.
2-An sd card slot. Again, the G2 doesn't have this, but the built in 32 gb is a lot of storage. If one needs more space, get the Meenova card reader, Meenova.com, Welcome. Problem solved!
While the hardware is important, you might want to consider the built in apps on the G2. I'm trying to keep mine stock as much as possible due to the fact the G2 apps does almost everything my
Bionic did after downloading a bunch of apps.
Speed, screen size/resolution, storage, large battery, built in apps make the G2 a wise choice.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I switched from a Razr Maxx to the G2. I find reception in my fringe area and other places that I would normally have a weaker signal as good as the Maxx. I also tried the Moto X and Droid Maxx. Both great phones but I found the X signal a little weaker and the Maxx screen paled in comparison to the G2. Battery life was tops on the Maxx. I got 28 hours with 5 hours on screen on time off of one charge. The G2 still has pretty decent battery life and is still comparable to the Razr Maxx.

As far as the add-ons I love most of them. But most are customizing features. Other things like QSlide and and slid aside I don't really use. But QSlide can be disabled. The ability to customize the notification toggles, font, lock screen quick launch apps and bottom soft buttons without root is a nice treat. There are many other nice features that personally don't use.

All in all this is a beast of a phone and can take anything i can throw at it without a single hiccup. It is the first phone that has swayed me away from Motorola.

And one sore spot with some people is the rear buttons. I personally love them. They feel natural once you get used to them.

CBdubz

Reaction score
I switched from the MAXX ( Rooted CM 10.2 Rom) to G2 (Stock rom , rooted) and I must say the G2 is a pretty fast phone and the screen and display is stupid nice, so is battery life. But their are some down falls to the G2, 1. being the plastic backing (or I could just be used to the Kevlar backing of the MAXX). 2. the audio speakers internal (phone speakers)and external (headphones)are not that great, my MAXX had better speaker sound, for playing music. Which I listen to a lot being a college student. I also had better Aux input sound on my MAXX than G2.( founded a audio mod hack for the sound to increase tho for the G2) 3. I had the G2 for only a week (no case or screen protector) and already see a dent on the outer basil of the phone ( plastic edge) 4. the double tap doesn't always work the way you want it to work ( Sometimes have to use more force than you think) 5. On the (G2 Verizon) Finding a phone case and screen protector that fits your version is hard to find. 6. If you have unread MMS or SMS it always lets you know in the notification bar (even if you go to messages and see what the person said. youll have to click it [open full convo] for it to be not in the notification). 7. Some ROMs take away some main key features ( like Knock on and Tv remote). 8. Theirs a GPS location notification in the status bar that doesn't go away even if you turn GPS off. But overall the G2 is a beast smartphone fast as hell and has a nice design to it, no trouble with apps force closing or lag at all. It did take some use to when having to touch the back of the phone to wake it up and turn the vol up and down and also taking screenshot ( down vol and power button). But if your MAXX is in perfect shape no starches or crack screen and your happy with the speed you have, ill stay with it. but again it you want a Powerful Smartphone that is God to all smartphone specs ill get the G2. Hope this help man , oh and I got my G2 free so I cant complain their lol.

- "U.O.E.N.O."

OP
YellowJacket

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the very helpful and insightful replies. Looks like the G2 is a winner by quite a bit. Both are good phones but I'm almost certain now that I'll go with the LG. Now.... just have to wait two more weeks.

David

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Dont expect the G2 to be updated past 4.2.2. Looks like you run ROMs and there is currently a 4.4 ROM so you're covered in that area.

nyvideo

Reaction score
The ability to customize the notification toggles, font, lock screen quick launch apps and bottom soft buttons without root is a nice treat. There are many other nice features that personally don't use.
/QUOTE]

How do you change the lock screen quick launch apps? I haven't been able to find that.

I also went from a RAZR Maxx and couldn't be happier with the switch.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
The ability to customize the notification toggles, font, lock screen quick launch apps and bottom soft buttons without root is a nice treat. There are many other nice features that personally don't use.
/QUOTE]

How do you change the lock screen quick launch apps? I haven't been able to find that.

settings>display>lock screen>shortcuts

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Under settings > display there is no lock screen option.
I tried under settings>lock screen and there is no shortcuts there either.

Hmmm.... Are you on Verizon?

tynysuza.jpg

ty2ubyja.jpg

tyraqe5a.jpg

Tap'd from my LG G2

nyvideo

Reaction score
Hmmm.... Are you on Verizon?

Tap'd from my LG G2

Yes.... I am on Verizon
My screens are slightly different. I don't have display on the top drop down menu and I can't add it there.
I get to those from the menu button on bottom left. Only 1 lock screen page and its not on that.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Yes.... I am on Verizon
My screens are slightly different. I don't have display on the top drop down menu and I can't add it there.
I get to those from the menu button on bottom left. Only 1 lock screen page and its not on that.

Display isn't in the drop down menu. When you pull down the notification bar click the gear. That should give you the choice of network, sound, display and general.