Does the DX2 kernel have unauthorized tether monitor ?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X2' started by StDevious, May 23, 2011.

1. JriderG

JriderG Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I tether hard. I don't care, I hope they put a tower in the lot beside me. I will download 14 gig bluray rips of avatar. I run with 10 gangs.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

2. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    How people don't see the foolishness in their analogies is beyond me. Does vzw block access to specific websites? Just curious. On your phone when you fire up your browser and type in google does it tell you you need a tethering plan? I mean I know you ppl are reaching but at least try to make a relevant analogy...it's sad how much you guys lie to yourself.

3. masters

masters Member

Ratings:
    +0
    But "tethering" doesn't make you a data hog.. If anything I would be considered a data hog and it's legal.. I move gigs of videos and other large zip files almost daily.

If they wanted to limit data hogs then get rid of "Unlimited" or charge more..

Anyway just saying, (as i look over at my droid 2.6 gigs through a 3 gig transfer on 3g.. d=-P).. Hurry up darnit!! Another hour or so..

#27 masters, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  4. greged01

greged01 New Member

Ratings:
    +0

5. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12

6. vvildcard

vvildcard Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Try this scenario: I use my phone to download bits of data from the Internet. The phone sends those bits to a program. The programs to send the bits to my computer. Sometimes I use a wireless connection, sometimes I use a USB cable... but in both cases, the bits end up on my computer. I use my computer to send bits to my phone over those same USB or wireless connections. The program on my phone takes those bits and sends them back to the Internet.

Question: Am I tethering?

If you said yes, you are wrong... all I did was download a file, mount my SDCard and copy it to my computer. Then I copied some other files to my phone and uploaded them to my Dropbox.

What's the difference between what I just described and tethering? Time and the program you're using to do it. There is nothing in the contract about what programs you're allowed to use (except maybe malicious programs). So that leaves time. How quickly does the transfer have to happen before it's considered tethering? If VZW truly cracked down on tethering and it went to court, they'd lose... and they know it. That's exactly why nobody's been sued.

7. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    the difference which you're leaving out is you can still transfer through usb in airplane mode and you can still transfer wirelessly without using 3g and just using wifi (also in airplane mode). When you use your 3g connection you're using verizons network, which you have to pay for. The reason no one has been sued is because that's a ridiculous and stupid waste of money. Far easier to just tier data.

8. vvildcard

vvildcard Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Your rebuttal is dodging the question: If I download a file with my phone and transfer it to my computer, is that tethering?

The state of the 3G connection doesn't matter... the data came from the 3G Internet connection in both cases. It almost sounds like you think the phone is sending 3G to your computer. I assure you, this is not the case. To do that, you would have a network adapter that uses the phone as a modem (granted, some tethering programs (PDANet) do something similar, but even then, the phone is not acting as a modem).

We all pay to use Verizon's network... nobody is questioning this. Again, I want to know how using a tethering program to transfer data immediately from Internet to phone to computer is different than doing the same thing, but over a longer time span.

9. Elkay

Elkay Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm all for just tiering data, use your data how you want. End this stupid cat and mouse game for good.

10. vvildcard

vvildcard Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Agreed! But for the love of God, don't stuff us all into the proposed 2GB plan!

11. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    how am i dodging the question? if anything, you're dodging the answer. you absolutely are using your phone as a modem. not sure how you can even deny that or what arguments you have to say that that's not what's happening.

12. Elkay

Elkay Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Imho, the tier cutoff for what we pay right now should be 5GB/mo. That's been the known "flag" on multiple carriers for years that you're abusing the service. If they don't care about up to 5GB/mo at the current "unlimited" rate, they shouldn't care about 5GB at this rate when going tiered.

Search tags for this page

droid x2 free tethering

dx2 wifi tether
freezing tethering monitor droid x2
kernels for dx2
motorola droid x2 kernels