Does the DX2 kernel have unauthorized tether monitor ?

StDevious

Reaction score
Did VZW find a way to monitor unauthorized tethering from apps like PDANet on this phone ?

brockeverly

Reaction score
Yes, perhaps not in the Kernel, but it can be seen. I would refrain from using these programs, they directly violate your T&C's. I have seen a handful of customers in my location that have been shut off for using them.

OP
S

StDevious

Reaction score
Yes, perhaps not in the Kernel, but it can be seen. I would refrain from using these programs, they directly violate your T&C's. I have seen a handful of customers in my location that have been shut off for using them.

It's only in necessity that I have had to use them like moving places now and internet won't be on for another 3-4 days and been travelling in off the grid places where 3g is the best way to get internet.

brockeverly

Reaction score
It's only in necessity that I have had to use them like moving places now and internet won't be on for another 3-4 days and been travelling in off the grid places where 3g is the best way to get internet.

Then you should get add tethering on the times that you are traveling. $20 for 2gb isn't that bad to keep it legit.

jacobbones

Reaction score
So your not supposed to tether?

I just got the X2 friday night and was messing around with it and saw some tether app on the market and tried it out for a minute.

I thought if stuffs on the market its alright to use. But is that not the case?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
So your not supposed to tether?

I just got the X2 friday night and was messing around with it and saw some tether app on the market and tried it out for a minute.

I thought if stuffs on the market its alright to use. But is that not the case?

The market is not monitored in that way...you can find stuff there to root phones, tether, and do other things that may violate your contract/terms, etc.

brockeverly

Reaction score
From another thread, but it is fitting.

Hi Guys,

I have been reading this post with some interest, but I have to say that it blows me away.

Is Verizon overcharging us? Yes!
Should we have to pay extra to connect our Droid X to our laptops? No!

However, the bottom line is this is stealing plain and simple, but people seem to dismiss it out of hand like it's not a big deal. When we signed up with our carrier we agreed to be bound by the terms of that agreement.

We as people of this world complain, gripe and moan when the oil companies gouge us at the pump and make billions in profits every year. When corporate executives take home multimillion dollar bonuses every quarter but don't pay their workers a fare wage. We complain about all the banks and mortgage companies that caused the housing crisis by stealing billions and almost causing a second great depression.

But really how different is what is being suggested here. Yes it’s on a much smaller scale, but how is it any less wrong than what these organizations have done to us.

We as individuals are the lowest common dominators in this world’s moral compass. We ask ourselves what’s wrong with this world and decry all the horrible things that are done and tolerated, but we as individuals are the basic building blocks of society, if we build a building, (our world wide society) with faulty building materials, (individuals of this world who compromise their ethics and morals), how can we complain if the building comes crashing down? If we can justify stealing a little, how dare we complain and judge those who steal a lot!

How would you feel if your neighbor tapped into your electric meter, just to run his home theater system? Hey it’s only a few bucks a month, less than a Starbucks – no big deal right? Or someone piggy backed off your WiFi without your permission, what’s it costing you? Or someone came into your garage and borrowed you lawn mower without telling you or asking?

Would we be OK with that? No way, we would be on the phone to the electric company and/or the police in a heartbeat.

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I just felt like I had to say something.

There is an old saying that I believe that goes like this:

The person faithful in what is least is faithful also in much, and the person unrighteous in what is least is unrighteous also in much.

Are we not unrighteous in much, just becuase we haven't had the opportunity???

Cheers,

Brian

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

rushmore

Reaction score
From another thread, but it is fitting.

Hi Guys,

I have been reading this post with some interest, but I have to say that it blows me away.

Is Verizon overcharging us? Yes!
Should we have to pay extra to connect our Droid X to our laptops? No!

However, the bottom line is this is stealing plain and simple, but people seem to dismiss it out of hand like it's not a big deal. When we signed up with our carrier we agreed to be bound by the terms of that agreement.

We as people of this world complain, gripe and moan when the oil companies gouge us at the pump and make billions in profits every year. When corporate executives take home multimillion dollar bonuses every quarter but don't pay their workers a fare wage. We complain about all the banks and mortgage companies that caused the housing crisis by stealing billions and almost causing a second great depression.

But really how different is what is being suggested here. Yes it’s on a much smaller scale, but how is it any less wrong than what these organizations have done to us.

We as individuals are the lowest common dominators in this world’s moral compass. We ask ourselves what’s wrong with this world and decry all the horrible things that are done and tolerated, but we as individuals are the basic building blocks of society, if we build a building, (our world wide society) with faulty building materials, (individuals of this world who compromise their ethics and morals), how can we complain if the building comes crashing down? If we can justify stealing a little, how dare we complain and judge those who steal a lot!

How would you feel if your neighbor tapped into your electric meter, just to run his home theater system? Hey it’s only a few bucks a month, less than a Starbucks – no big deal right? Or someone piggy backed off your WiFi without your permission, what’s it costing you? Or someone came into your garage and borrowed you lawn mower without telling you or asking?

Would we be OK with that? No way, we would be on the phone to the electric company and/or the police in a heartbeat.

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I just felt like I had to say something.

There is an old saying that I believe that goes like this:

The person faithful in what is least is faithful also in much, and the person unrighteous in what is least is unrighteous also in much.

Are we not unrighteous in much, just becuase we haven't had the opportunity???

Cheers,

Brian

Yeah, that is probably the finance dude from VZW that is about to screw people with tiered data ;) All they had to do was throttle heavy users, but instead using it as a lame excuse to screw folks more (2% of users result in dinging everybody- makes sense....). They are leveraging their coverage map at our expense. VZW execs can smell their fiscal year bonus :icon_eek:

Let us see folks view on Hotspot fees when tiered kicks in.

Last edited:

brockeverly

Reaction score
Last I checked, Verizon is not a not for profit company. Of course they make money off your service. Do you complain that Nike turns a profit when you buy new shoes as well? If teired data comes, you can blame the abusers found all over this forum. If you are one of them, thanks for contributing. I am amazed at seeing posts of users going upwards of 10-20gb a month. That is ridiculous, and they should be charged for using it in excess. If it were just on their device that would be one thing, but its quite obvious its not.

Last edited:

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Damn those capitalists!! ;-)

With capitalism you gotta take the "good" with the "bad" (each being in the eye of the beholder...).

Elkay

Reaction score
Umm.. the X2 has Wifi tethering and USB tethering built in, and it's not restricted. I turned on the Wifi for a few minutes the other day to test it. Doesn't ask you about billing or anything, so I assume it's free until I get a bill that has a fee on it and then I'll call Verizon and ***** for an unwarranted charge on my account and have it removed.

brockeverly

Reaction score
There is free tethering for the 4G devices until next month (16th I believe) so that might have transferred over to the X2 as well. After that date it will not work.

jacobbones

Reaction score
Umm.. the X2 has Wifi tethering and USB tethering built in, and it's not restricted. I turned on the Wifi for a few minutes the other day to test it. Doesn't ask you about billing or anything, so I assume it's free until I get a bill that has a fee on it and then I'll call Verizon and ***** for an unwarranted charge on my account and have it removed.

I was just about to ask about that. I was checking around in my phone and noticed that.
Anyone know if I need to download anything to tether my laptop this way? gonna try this out when I get home. See if I can connect my laptop via wifi as well.

I also noticed you can connect to an actual wifi signal with your x2, then if you watch a streaming movie you dont have to buffer as much