Goodbye illegal tethering

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
And so it begins. AT&T cracking down.

For all the irrational and paranoid whining about VZW gouging and playing dirty, AT&T has been consistentlyfar worse (albeit a data network a good bit faster, prior to LTE).

And, yes, free tethering with Thunderbolt until May 15th, but I really will be shocked if VZW allows people unlimited LTE tether like they did on 3G.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/18/...-using-unauthorized-tethering-methods-to-pay/
AT&T tells customers using unauthorized tethering methods to pay up or stop

By Donald Melanson posted Mar 18th 2011 10:52AM

Been using an app like MyWi to enable tethering on your jailbroken iPhone? Then there's a good chance you've already received a message like the one above from AT&T, or perhaps an email like the one after the break. By all accounts, the carrier is now cracking down on all unauthorized tethering, and it's asking folks engaged in such behavior to either pay up for a proper tethering plan or simply stop tethering altogether -- if it doesn't hear anything back for you after sending the message, AT&T says it will automatically enroll you in a DataPro 4GB tethering plan (at a rate of $45 a month). We should note that all the reports we've seen so far are from iPhone users, although that certainly doesn't mean Android users will simply be allowed to slip by unnoticed. Exactly how AT&T is identifying users isn't clear, however, and we could well just be seeing the beginning of a cat and mouse game as folks try to discover workarounds to go undetected. More on this one as we get it.

[Thanks to everyone who sent this in]​
Dear XXXXXXXX,

We've noticed your service plan may need updating.

Many AT&T customers use their smartphones as a broadband connection for other devices, like laptops, netbooks or other smartphones– a practice commonly known as tethering. Tethering can be an efficient way for our customers to enjoy the benefits of AT&T's mobile broadband network and use more than one device to stay in touch with important people and information. To take advantage of this feature, we require that in addition to a data plan, you also have a tethering plan.

Our records show that you use this capability, but are not subscribed to our tethering plan.

If you would like to continue tethering, please log into
your account online at www.wireless.att.com, or call us
at 1-888-860-6789 Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. CST
or Saturday, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. CST, by March 27, 2011
to sign up for DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering.
Here are details on the plan:

DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering
• $45 per month
(this gives you 4GB in total, combining both your smartphone data plan for $25 and the tethering feature, $20)
• $10 per each additional GB thereafter, added automatically as needed
• Mobile Hotspot capabilities are included for compatible Smartphones
If we don't hear from you, we'll plan to automatically enroll you into DataPro 4GB after March 27, 2011. The new plan – whether you sign up on your own or we automatically enroll you – will replace your current smartphone data plan, including if you are on an unlimited data plan.

If you discontinue tethering, no changes to your current plan will be required.

It's easy to track your usage throughout the month so there are no bill surprises. For example, we send you free text messages when you reach 65, 90, and 100 percent of your plan's threshold. If you would like to monitor your account more closely, go to www.att.com/dataplans to learn about other ways to track your data usage.

As a reminder, our smartphone data plans also include unlimited usage of Wi-Fi at no additional charge. AT&T smartphone customers can use Wi-Fi at home or on-the-go at any one of our more than 23,000 U.S. hotspots already included in your data plan.

Thank you for bringing your account up to date. We appreciate the opportunity to continue to serve your mobile broadband needs.

Sincerely,

AT&T

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Well we already know Verizon is next. They like to play follow the leader.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I for one am happy to hear about a crackdown. Dont get me wrong I am THE internet pirate by heart, but people who hack throttling and try to tether 30+ GB a month need to be stopped, especially on Verizon with 4G promising these amazing speeds.

If you're going to support a phone, laptop, desktop, or whatever along with streaming video, get a landline.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beka27

Reaction score
I for one am happy to hear about a crackdown. Dont get me wrong I am THE internet pirate by heart, but people who hack throttling and try to tether 30+ GB a month need to be stopped, especially on Verizon with 4G promising these amazing speeds.

If you're going to support a phone, laptop, desktop, or whatever along with streaming video, get a landline.

+1

I would support VZW offering a small amount of free tethering as an added benefit to having your data plan, but not ridiculous usage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shiodooru

Reaction score
I am not scared, I use tethering only in cases of absolute need. I use no where near enough data for it to show.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I am not scared, I use tethering only in cases of absolute need. I use no where near enough data for it to show.
How much doesn't show? I thought ALL of data showed? It does on mine (I pay for it because that's just me).

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
guess all the people who replaced their ISP with Verizon 3G will have to save up some money so they can have internet now haha

OP
K

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Agree with this and also those favoring keeping quality service by targeting abusers.

The latter part is the key. I want to be able to tether on occasion, in a pinch (and it really shouldn't be extra $$$). However I don't see them doing much in that case. Complete rip-off of $20 for 2gigs ($45 for 4gigs with AT&T!). The way I see it, if mobile broadband is $80 for 10gigs, then $50 should get me at least 10gigs of tethering ($30+$50=$80).

Basically the easy solution is to throttle over 5 gigs and if over 10 gigs do an analysis to see if the person is tethering.

Shiodooru

Reaction score
How much doesn't show? I thought ALL of data showed? It does on mine (I pay for it because that's just me).

They see all data that you use, what I am saying is that the amount I tether doesn't show a huge jump from my average data usage on the phone. Basically a month where I did some tethering and a month without it my data usage is comparable.

Last edited:
OP
K

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
guess all the people who replaced their ISP with Verizon 3G will have to save up some money so they can have internet now haha

Haha....It's probably why the so many have been irate/crying/threatening the last 6 months when they thought LTE rates were getting jacked and an end to unlimited data. Now everyone is rushing to lock-in and I have to question what you really will be locking in. I thought VZW would probably cap (and maybe effectively they will/are with throttling), but certainly they won't just continue to ignore tethering abuse.

I was going to say it's really tough to go over 2gigs unless you watch a lot of video and/or d/l torrents, but flashing roms is starting to hog bandwidth (100megs+ just to d/l all your apps again from market, plus 70+ on the rom itself).

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Haha....It's probably why the so many have been irate/crying/threatening the last 6 months when they thought LTE rates were getting jacked and an end to unlimited data. Now everyone is rushing to lock-in and I have to question what you really will be locking in. I thought VZW would probably cap (and maybe effectively they will/are with throttling), but certainly they won't just continue to ignore tethering abuse.

I was going to say it's really tough to go over 2gigs unless you watch a lot of video and/or d/l torrents, but flashing roms is starting to hog bandwidth (100megs+ just to d/l all your apps again from market, plus 70+ on the rom itself).

Yeah no chance that they'll continue to allow unbridled tethering on 4G. I agree that using it in a pinch shouldn't be that big a deal, especially if you're not using any more then you normally would in a monthly cycle, but if they want to crack down on that too that's their prerogative. But it must totally suck for those who play PS3 and XBOX simultaneously while downloading torrents and streaming music all through their phone. There's a few people on this forum who I can think of who have employed the old "I pay for unlimited so I will violate my TOS if I want to" justification. Can't say I feel sorry for them though...

jengas kahn

Reaction score
hmm, so for people with verizon who are paying for an unlimited data plan...
that very well may be taken away?

i wonder what would happen if i went into their store and attempted to renegotiate the terms of my contract. "oh well, seen as i barely even use 5gb a month i shouldn't have to pay the full thirty dollars"...

i'm all for people being responsible and not taking advantage but this is like lying, right? indian givers.

well, i guess it's good that the only time i use wireless tether is to show people that my phone has wireless tether.

OP
K

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They see all data that you use, what I am saying is that the amount I tether doesn't show a huge jump from my average data usage on the phone. Basically a month where I did some tethering and a month without it my data usage is comparable.

There's that, plus it just really doesn't make sense to expend any resources examining people who use less than 2gigs (and probably more, >5gigs and possibly >10).

I'm sure if there isn't already alternatives someone will come up with a way to "fake" tethering so it's indistinguishable from simply high smartphone use. Then there's the question of what to do with HDMI mirror since you're technically not tethering but get the same basic benefit.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I can see them cracking down on top users but for people using less than 5GB they shouldn't touch us. I can use more than that with just my phone. I tether rarely but I do tether if I need to.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
hmm, so for people with verizon who are paying for an unlimited data plan...
that very well may be taken away?

i wonder what would happen if i went into their store and attempted to renegotiate the terms of my contract. "oh well, seen as i barely even use 5gb a month i shouldn't have to pay the full thirty dollars"...

i'm all for people being responsible and not taking advantage but this is like lying, right? indian givers.

well, i guess it's good that the only time i use wireless tether is to show people that my phone has wireless tether.

Wrong. the provisions of the unlimited plan do not allow tethering, in fact it specifically disallows it. If people don't read their TOS, that's not verizon's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.