Goodbye illegal tethering

Status
Not open for further replies.

killavbeez

Reaction score
And for you concerned citizens who need to hear yourself say do the right thing, go stop a crack dealer. Not someone using their phone for the internet.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

"I make enough money as it is, so I'm not going to capitalize on something else that will make me more money". It has nothing to do with right and wrong, or ethics and morals. VZW is a business not a charity. The only company that wouldn't charge for something like tethering is a failed company. The whole "let's stick it to the man" stuff is cool when you're a teenager (I guess) but when you're an adult you realize, I hope, that corporate America doesn't have some vengeance for the little man or something lame like that. You're using their network, their service and you're under their contract, so all the whining in the world makes no difference. I'll go stop a crack dealer, if you promise to go create your own mobile network so you can give away free tethering to all your customers.

Again, it's funny that people really think that VZW is just charging "for the hell of it!" Like all the bigwigs are in the conference room going "Larry, we're quadrillionaires, now its time to mislead and screw our customers muhahaha!"

The awesome thing is the only thing that you can do is make posts on these forums complaining about it, because you're completely insignificant to Verizon (as am I, and everyone else here)...

my crack dealer comment (ha) is more of a priority thing, not what you're getting/paying for. no matter how much is tethered or paid for there are a lot bigger problems than DATA. if only we could put as much effort into other things. like sweeping up these megabytes will cure cancer, or stop the next version of whatever being hacked anyhow. programmers are people. people are programmers.

the business ethic is easy. subway doesnt sell subs, and give away cookies. if verizon feels its extra, then thats that. to think they have that mentality you described, or that any one of these posts will do anything in the long run, is delusional. its just people taking shots at other peoples opinions. mine, you figure im at home all day tethering 50 gigs on mindless data thinking "psht, wont get my free internet." ironically even though im in the discussion, i hardly fall into the category. ill tether things that are buggy in my phones browser, a major transaction, or something of the sort.

whats the biggest issue anyways? people using it as their primary source, and slowing others? so...an overload in data will be fixed by a paid for overload in data?

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
And for you concerned citizens who need to hear yourself say do the right thing, go stop a crack dealer. Not someone using their phone for the internet.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

"I make enough money as it is, so I'm not going to capitalize on something else that will make me more money". It has nothing to do with right and wrong, or ethics and morals. VZW is a business not a charity. The only company that wouldn't charge for something like tethering is a failed company. The whole "let's stick it to the man" stuff is cool when you're a teenager (I guess) but when you're an adult you realize, I hope, that corporate America doesn't have some vengeance for the little man or something lame like that. You're using their network, their service and you're under their contract, so all the whining in the world makes no difference. I'll go stop a crack dealer, if you promise to go create your own mobile network so you can give away free tethering to all your customers.

Again, it's funny that people really think that VZW is just charging "for the hell of it!" Like all the bigwigs are in the conference room going "Larry, we're quadrillionaires, now its time to mislead and screw our customers muhahaha!"

The awesome thing is the only thing that you can do is make posts on these forums complaining about it, because you're completely insignificant to Verizon (as am I, and everyone else here)...

my crack dealer comment (ha) is more of a priority thing, not what you're getting/paying for. no matter how much is tethered or paid for there are a lot bigger problems than DATA. if only we could put as much effort into other things. like sweeping up these megabytes will cure cancer, or stop the next version of whatever being hacked anyhow. programmers are people. people are programmers.

the business ethic is easy. subway doesnt sell subs, and give away cookies. if verizon feels its extra, then thats that. to think they have that mentality you described, or that any one of these posts will do anything in the long run, is delusional. its just people taking shots at other peoples opinions. mine, you figure im at home all day tethering 50 gigs on mindless data thinking "psht, wont get my free internet." ironically even though im in the discussion, i hardly fall into the category. ill tether things that are buggy in my phones browser, a major transaction, or something of the sort.

whats the biggest issue anyways? people using it as their primary source, and slowing others? so...an overload in data will be fixed by a paid for overload in data? ironically even though im in the discussion i hardly fall into the category. ill tether things that are buggy in my phones browser, a major transaction, or something of the sort.

i've posted this before and i'll post it here again, i dont believe that people tethering slows the network down or has some adverse effect on the network. i 100% agree that data is data, and further, I also believe that VZWs network is more then capable of supporting the entitled kids who tether 50GB a month. That's not the point. This thread was started as a way to present that AT&T is cracking down and that Verizon may follow. It quickly spiraled into a "I have the right to do this because I pay for unlimited" whine-fest.

Like I said before, there is no ulterior motive. Verizon is not trying to screw you, they're not trying to protect their failing network, they're not cowering in a corner hoping the evil tetherers will stop. They are driven by one thing: money. Nothing more, nothing less. If they charge for tethering, it's because they want money.

My point, which has always been my point, and will always be my point, is that you or anyone else does NOT have the right to tether because you have an unlimited plan. It doesn't matter if you think you do, or wish you do, or have lied to yourself and convinced yourself that you do...you don't. Not a single one of the people who abuse their data plan would dare call verizon and tell them what they're doing. that in itself proves that the whole "i have the right to tether because i paid for unlimited" is just some flimsy justification that they cooked up to deflect what they know is wrong...doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

verizon will move to tiered pricing, and they will cut down on illegal tethering, and all the whining in the world is not going to bring it back or allow you to somehow "win" the battle with them. if you choose to continue tethering, that's your prerogative. but i'm just letting you know that you have no leg to stand on if you're caught. Nor do i, nor does anyone here.

I just find it hilarious, and it really gives an insight into human behavior, that so many people here seemingly do believe that they are owed or entitled to tethering because of their unlimited data plan. That's what's truly delusional.

Snow02

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if I have an unlimited plan or a tiered plan. If I pay for x amount of data, it doesn't matter how I use it. Tethered data doesn't cost the network anymore in resources than non-tethered.

/thread

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if I have an unlimited plan or a tiered plan. If I pay for x amount of data, it doesn't matter how I use it. Tethered data doesn't cost the network anymore in resources than non-tethered.

/thread

The bravado on the internet is awesome (I guess), but we both know you don't believe that....go ahead and call VZW and tell them this...would love to hear their reaction. Oh wait...you wouldn't do that huh?

Snow02

Reaction score
Put some money where your your mouth is and I'd be happy to.

Snow02

Reaction score
Sure. Otherwise what's the motivation? If you drive a little over the speed limit from time to time, do you call the cops and tell them?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sure. Otherwise what's the motivation? If you drive a little over the speed limit from time to time, do you call the cops and tell them?

No, but if confronted about it, I wouldn't argue that "I paid for my car so I can drive it anyway I want"

What's the motivation? To prove your point. I'm not trying to prove mine, you do that for me when you ask for money to do something you're afraid of...

Snow02

Reaction score
Exactly.

And likewise, if confronted, I'm not going to lie about it. This isn't the playground. Calling me scared isn't going to goad me into anything. Nice try though.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Exactly.

And likewise, if confronted, I'm not going to lie about it. This isn't the playground. Calling me scared isn't going to goad me into anything. Nice try though.

Ok, so...your "Doesn't matter if I have an unlimited plan or a tiered plan. If I pay for x amount of data, it doesn't matter how I use it" was just internet bravado like i said, right?

So you agree with me completely that you don't have the right, that you are scared to admit it, that you wouldn't lie about it if confronted, and are just trying to justify something that you know is wrong by posting online, right? Ok, we're done. Thanks! :D

killavbeez

Reaction score
I just find it hilarious, and it really gives an insight into human behavior, that so many people here seemingly do believe that they are owed or entitled to tethering because of their unlimited data plan. That's what's truly delusional.

the explanation now, was my first concern. the money. if verizon wants to announce tomorrow that they feel using your phone on speaker should be charged for, they can, and will. we understand that verizon is in control. they CAN and WILL this or that. you dont need to sell a fact, its a fact.

"im entitled to my data how i please blah blah" hasnt even crossed my mind because i dont even use enough. tethered or untethered. but at the same time, and as youre backing verizon like youre getting a promotion or something, do you not personally feel its bs? you yourself explained the money issue, verizons resources being able to handle the data, and that tethered data is by no means laced with gold, its data.

Snow02

Reaction score
Exactly.

Ok, so...your "Doesn't matter if I have an unlimited plan or a tiered plan. If I pay for x amount of data, it doesn't matter how I use it" was just internet bravado like i said, right?

So you agree with me completely that you don't have the right, that you are scared to admit it, that you wouldn't lie about it if confronted, and are just trying to justify something that you know is wrong by posting online, right? Ok, we're done. Thanks! :D

My pleasure.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

the explanation now, was my first concern. the money. if verizon wants to announce tomorrow that they feel using your phone on speaker should be charged for, they can, and will. we understand that verizon is in control. they CAN and WILL this or that. you dont need to sell a fact, its a fact.

"im entitled to my data how i please blah blah" hasnt even crossed my mind because i dont even use enough. tethered or untethered. but at the same time, and as youre backing verizon like youre getting a promotion or something, do you not personally feel its bs? you yourself explained the money issue, verizons resources being able to handle the data, and that tethered data is by no means laced with gold, its data.

if you don't believe it, then my comments arent directed towards you. I'm speaking to the people who actually do believe that they have some weird entitled right to tether even when they signed an agreement saying they didn't

and yes, i've said it before and i'll say it again, charging $20 to tether 2GB is absolutely bs. but again, my point, which is all it's ever been, is that it doesn't matter how i feel, or you feel or how my great aunt feels. i signed the agreement. i knew what i was signing, and i knew that tethering wasn't included in my "unlimited" data. it's one thing if verizon hoodwinked and bamboozled me, or misled me, and had me convinced that i could tether and suddenly said no. that wasnt the case.

my point, and this has always been my point, is they can charge for whatever they see fit, that they are allowed to charge for per the contract. it has nothing to do with magical data or civil rights marches in washington dc. if you sign an agreement, you're bound by it. it's open and shut. black and white. no gray area. no one was misled by verizon, no one was told that tethering is included. EVERYONE was specifically told that tethering was not included (and again, it doesn't have to be verbally told to you by some guy in a verizon uniform), and EVERYONE agreed to it by signing their contract. whether i think it's bs is irrelevant, because i agreed to it. There are laws that people may think are bs, but is that gonna fly in court when you stand before a judge? "I think it's bs, so i can do what i want"...no.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Trolling at it's finest.

Yes usually when you're proven wrong, the other person is a troll...ah the internet...
rolleye0014.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.