Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Only thing I'll warn you is that wireless tethering will generate a LOT of heat -- possibly DANGEROUS LEVELS of heat, so make sure there's some air movement or at least space around the back of the phone.

mrsdm

Reaction score
Thank you so much! Yes, I use Verizon and I am a little afraid of doing the root thing right now!! I may try it at some point, but right now I think the pdanet will do me just fine!!
Thank you so much for your help!!

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
So, I can't find an answer on either of the respective sites' FAQs... do EasyTether or PdaNet allow FTP connections on their free versions?

jf7609

Reaction score
I'm not sure to be honest. I'm not to savy when it comes to networking and connections. All I know I've kinda discovered on my own. My best guess would be to just try it. See if it works. :)

Sent from my Rooted DInc

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
So, I can't find an answer on either of the respective sites' FAQs... do EasyTether or PdaNet allow FTP connections on their free versions?

For future reference for others - yes, free PdaNet allows FTP (to answer my own question).

Noobtard

Reaction score
Jf7609....once a Dinc is rooted are there additional things you have to do manually to maintain it...ie..updates, etc? I would like to root to unlock tethering and remove bloatware from phone...not interested or knowledgeable enough to mess with roms and overclocking. I've read tons about the process, but scared I will ruin my phone.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

windyridge

Reaction score
Can you get decent internet or even video if you are using a WiFi hotspot and only getting 1x signal....and does the same follow for heat and Droid X? We may want to watch a movei or two and i don't want to blow up my phone :-(

Last edited:

jf7609

Reaction score
Once the phone is rooted, you won't be able to do any over the air updates from what I understand. You have to unroot to do that. I haven't installed any custom roms myself. I strictly rooted for WiFi tether. If you do root and remove bloatware, from what I have read, if you unroot to do an OTA update, it won't work because the bloatware is gone. I was going to remove it as well, but then I read that and decided not to. If you just root for WiFi tether and nothing related to roms or kernels, you would really have to try to screw up your phone. DISCLAIMER!!!! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU MESS UP YOUR PHONE!! I JUST OFFER MY EXPERIENCES!!
Sent from my Rooted DInc

jf7609

Reaction score
No you will not get good speeds with 1x. I believe maximum transfer speeds of 1x are only like 56kb/s. If you use WiFi tether, just make sure you don't keep your phone in your pocket or under a blanket. I keep mine on a table, plugged in, battery side up. It gets warm, but not excessively hot. I have been watching netflix all afternoon on my ps3 using WiFi tethering. I've downloaded almost 2.2 gigs so far. My battery temp is at 109 degrees Fahrenheit. But I have been using my phone to reply to a couple posts on these forums so the temp has gone up since I have been using it. Don't worry, watching a movie or two should be no problem. Just make sure your battery can breath :)
Sent from my Rooted DInc

Noobtard

Reaction score
I have pdanet working pretty well...no complaints so far...if I rooted just for the tether, what is the advantage of the rooted tether vs pdanet?

jf7609

Reaction score
If I want to download something on my pc, but play with my phone, then it can be connected via WiFi while I sit on my couch. I also think that the connection is a little more stable with the WiFi. But pdanet is not bad. I used it forever before rooting.

Sent from my Rooted DInc

Noobtard

Reaction score
Did you simply use the fee version of pdanet or did you pay for the upgrade? If so is the pay version worth it?