Android tethering FAQ thread

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by pc747, Sep 30, 2010.

1. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

What is wifi tethering?

[​IMG] android-wifi-tether
    Wireless Tether for Root Users

Wifitethering is an app in the android market that was created by Harald Hue, ulfalda, bbuxton, and andrew robinson. It allows you to use the internet on your phone through your computer through AD-HOC mode. Known issues from wifi tethering is that your phone heats up from use. Wifi tethering app can be downloaded from the android market or through code.google.com In order to use the app users must be rooted. And rooting does void your warranty.
    Will verizon, (other carrier) charge me for using the app? Because verizon offers mobile broadband service using any form of tethering out side of the specified plans is against your contract agreement. As a result verizon (or other carrier) has all rights to void your contract and charge you for the data used from unauthorized tethering.

Are there other tethering apps? Yes, here are a list of unauthorized tethering apps/programs: wifi tethering, barnacle tethering, pdanet and easy tether. For a list of authorized tethering apps please contact or visit your carriers web site.

[​IMG]

What is Barnacle: Is an app similar to wifi tethering in that it turns your device into a wireless modem. Like wifi tethering app it uses ad-hoc mode and requires root. For more info visit the dev website: szym.net: Barnacle Wifi Tether

[​IMG]
    Pdanet: This app allows users to use their phone as a modem. This requires that your phone be hooked into the device (ie computer laptop) and that the required software from the developer is installed. The developer has a free and a paid version. The paid version is required to go to secured sites. For more info see the dev site: PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android

Easytether: Like Pdanet, easytether requires that your phone be hooked up to your computer. It also requires that you install the required software to the computer that you want to tether with. You can find easytether on the android market

3g Mobile hotspot: This is an app provided by verizon to allow authorized wifi tethering. Plans and details can be found by visiting verizon's website or contacting a customer service rep. http://community.vzw.com/t5/Voice-an...ns/td-p/288316

Droid Forums (or its sister sites) do not condone unauthorized tethering. It is highly recommend that users visit their local carriers website to set up authorized means of tethering. Users should know that the carrier have all rights to suspend services and charge for unauthorized use of broadband services. This thread is so that people will have the answers they need about the different tethering apps out there, but recommend that the users follow the contract agreement with their carrier and seek only authorized tethering apps/programs.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Should also mention that WiFi Tethering sucks battery life faster than anything else, with the possible exception of Nav, and even then I'd say it edges the other out.

Other than that and the broken image for Easy Tether it looks good, PC.

EDIT:

Broken image issue resolved with the removal from the OP.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  3. pc747

Just removed it before you posted that. And that is true that tethering through wifi is a battery killer.
  4. B.Wallace85

B.Wallace85 New Member

Which one would you say is best?
  5. pc747

All of the unauthorized tethering apps are on the market and the ratings that they have matches the app. If you want to keep from voiding your warranty and possibly voiding you contract I would suggest the 3g mobile hot spot. But in a vacuum wifi tethering is tethering app.
  6. brad92

brad92 New Member

Tethering and Verizon

I live out in the sticks where we can't get internet (unless its by satellite:icon_eek:). So we just bought a Droid X and LG Ally to tether with. So my question is:

How many people tether and go over 5gb a month? Does Verizon care?
  7. carcrazygts2

carcrazygts2 New Member

I garantee you I do. I tether my rooted x with my ps2 for online gaming.....
  8. xlivewire7x

xlivewire7x New Member

I've always wondered if it was possible to do that, especially with an Xbox 360. Do you get a lot of lag?
  9. carcrazygts2

carcrazygts2 New Member

Not really its actually better than cable connection I have athome 90% of the time. I meant my ps3. But ihave a nodded and jailbroken ps3 running on linux. What helps is there is a VZW celltower with in 1000ft of my home
  10. brad92

brad92 New Member

So how many gigs do you use a month? We basically just watch alot of streaming video and downloads...
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  11. carcrazygts2

carcrazygts2 New Member

Well i'd say prolly around 12-15 gb a month. I spend about 10-15 hours a week playing Cod and BC2.
  12. brad92

brad92 New Member

So we should be safe then. Thanks man. Now I am gonna find out how to hookup my buddy's 360. :D
  13. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

It's folks like you that will ruin it for the rest of us
  14. brad92

brad92 New Member

I am just interested in watching Netflix movies and paying bills. My buddy coming over with his Xbox 360 would be like once a month or once every two months.
  15. droider4life

droider4life New Member

What do you mean by this, if you dont mind me asking??
  16. abe7333

abe7333 New Member

I would root so you don't have a monthly limit. But that is just my opinion.

"I know not with what weapons War World III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with stick and stones."-Albert Einstein.

Send from Droid X
  17. abe7333

abe7333 New Member

Well buddy with 4g you going to have a monthly limit anyways. But I think according to FCC only for five years. Then they have to move to new technology.

"I know not with what weapons War World III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with stick and stones."-Albert Einstein.

Send from Droid X
  18. carcrazygts2

carcrazygts2 New Member

Actually no its not. It is not my fault I'm using my phone to its utmost ability. I'm also not gonna be walked all over by corporate America over a measly $20 a month. Blame Motorola for adding the feature to the X. It is people like you who corporate America loves because you'll do what they tell you. I am already paying Verizon dearly because of the fact that I have a FULL unlimited nationwide plan with unlimited data. I'm not going to pay them another $20 a month just to link my phone's internet to what ever device I choose to.

Also Verizon is looking into LTE instead of 4g. LTE is faster and more stable, and has a overall better connection than anything that is currently available.
  19. GahhItsLee

GahhItsLee New Member

Not to mention people have been tethering for years. Verizon knows we tether and its thats simple when they want to stop it they will but for now they just dont care enough
  20. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

What limit? There is no limit on data for the Droid.
Search tags for this page
5g tethering

android tethering faq

can i use my phones wifi for my ps2
easy tether ftp

easytether faq

how can i use my phone as a hotspot for ps2
how to you my android to tether ps2
my ps2 tethering hotspot on connected
my tethering is disable only 1x internet
tether on android faq forums
tethering faqs