Verizon Wireless Blocks The Updating Of Apps They Feel Are Unauthorized

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Malvado, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Some Verizon Wireless customers are reporting something rather strange today. In an effort to curb unauthorized tethering, it appears as if Verizon Wireless has begun blocking the updates of some apps in the Android Market. The app in question (and pictured above) is Easy Tether which allows a user to share their data connection via USB. Really, this comes as no surprise. We’ve played this cat and mouse game before with our carriers and however disgruntled you may become, policy is policy. Still, it’s rather unnerving to see that yellow caution banner strewn about our once free and open Android Market. How do you guys feel about this? Should we, as customers, be able to use our data however we want? Or did we sign a contract knowing full well we’d be subject to our carrier’s iron fists?

Oh and protip: You can always turn off your data and enable WiFi to update or download these “unauthorized” apps from the Market. Ha-ha, Verizon!

SOURCE: Is Verizon Wireless blocking apps from updating? | DroidMatters.com
  2. neilrl79

neilrl79 New Member

I'm a little surprised it took them this long. It won't stop anyone from using the apps they wnt to use, it just make them go elsewhere to get them.
  3. silverfang77

silverfang77 Member

And what do they actually hope to accomplish? People can still get it from elsewhere.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tappatalk
  4. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend New Member

So stupid...starting to feel like I own an iPhone with all the restrictions Verizon is placing.
    2 people like this.
  5. WizardPrang

WizardPrang New Member

You can trust Verizon to do what is in the best interest of... Verizon. Nothing to see here folks, move along...
    1 person likes this.
  6. shizumie

shizumie New Member

Exactly! While most may not agree, i owned the first i phone and loved it! However what i didnt love was the (o u think just because you paid full retail that makes it yours... Nope its still our phone.. not yours) and while vast, the limits of having to use itunes for everything. But if verizon is doing the same things now (locking bootloaders, not releasing sorce, and trying controll market) i see less n less people jumping ship from iphone to android... Even worse maybee a few going back to iphone. And while yes its true that the advanced user, and even a brave enough novice can walk around most of this and achieve their goals, i feel that it should be available to every user! I think android and verizon have pulled the trigger on a slow moving bullet.. heading strait for their foot.
    Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  7. idefiler6

idefiler6 New Member

I'm not seeing this on my market. Just grabbed easy tether, barnacle and the paid versions I own with zero issues.
  8. bp328i

bp328i Theme Developer Theme Developer

This is priceless!!!
  9. Big Dawg 23

Big Dawg 23 Member

This is whats nice about CM. Its built in so there is no App to block.
  10. leftspin

leftspin New Member

I just use Wifi Tether for Root Users from google code... works better than Barnacle or anything else on the market anyway

but honestly, we own the phone and we pay for the data, why does it matter how we use it? Verizon's "unlimited" data plan will throttle your speeds if you go above 5GB and their new plans don't offer unlimited data, they'll charge you ridiculous overages for going above 2GB. It doesn't effect Verizon at all if we use our 2GB a month tethering wifi to our laptops or on our phones, other than that they don't get to charge us 10$ for something that shouldn't cost money anyway.

Screw 'em
  11. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Market enabler would probably work as well.. its free. dont know if it requires root or not. i have never been not rooted
  12. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Haha, love this. Suck it Verizon ya greedy b@$tards!
  13. steveninspokane

steveninspokane New Member

Devs are going to have to start adding a "Check for Update" option that allows people to download direct from them which I think would in turn begin to affect Googles Market.
  14. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is the only app they will block?
  15. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya New Member

I did not even notice the block because I had been updating over wifi lately anyways. Very Priceless!!!
  16. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

Just checked it on my X. It's still available. No need for it though. I have root and "wugfresh" (wireless tether) BAM
  17. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Well-Known Member

It matters because Verizon can show better profits to their stock holders if they charge you twice for the same data. And because we signed a contract saying that it is ok to do it, they can.

Kinda like signing a contract that they can kick us in the stones. Crappy deal for us, but we agreed to it so we can't really blame them for doing it.

That said, free tether away. I pay VZW $130 a month for a single line and data plan and if I want to tether once in a blue moon, I will. I about 2GB a month on an unlimited plan, most of that from Netflix when I am on the elliptical at the gym. If I need to check my email or send a file from my work laptop from the road somewhere once every other month, I am gonna do it and Verizon can kiss off.
  18. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Well-Known Member

BTW, what is the easiest free tether app that does it over the USB cable? I used that method with my iPhone and loved it, as it kept the battery charging while using it.
  19. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

Damn! You just took the words right out of my mouth!!!! Ditto on your response
  20. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

Use the wifi tether app from google. You can use it while plugged into USB
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.