Verizon Nailed with a $1.25 Million Fine by FCC; Must Stop Blocking Tethering Apps

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jul 31, 2012.

1. B0B0

B0B0 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Awesome, so now they should go after iFail corp. They don't let any, or rather didn't (when I was an ipple fan boi) allow third parting tethering apps. You had to get into cydia to tether.

2. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Haha nice but not really. they can still throttle or charge you if you're on unlimited, and their shared plans don't charge for tethering anyway.

Good moral victory but doesn't really change much.

In fact as some have mentioned, vzw might now actually start going after ppl who tether on unlimited plans.

The fcc basically ruled that if you pay for tiers you get what you pay for and can't be charged extra for using your allotted data. But the buffet is still not eat until you put us out of business :D

#26 czerdrill, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  3. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,462
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Note 3
    Last paragraph... " In addition, the company recently revised its service offerings such that consumers on usage-based pricing plans may tether, using any application, without paying an additional fee."

Unlimited plan is not a "usage based pricing plan."

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

4. ghenson08

ghenson08 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wifi apps now

Does anyone know of any wife tether apps for non-rooted HTC phones? Specificially Dinc2?

5. lloydstrans

lloydstrans Banned

Ratings:
    +6,000
    I read the decree, the link is in the OP. Verizon acted on a letter of investigation, no case. Verizon effectively staved off a broader investigation for a paltry 1.25 million.
    YES UNLIMITED HAS TO PAY TO TETHER. NO, WERE NOT GOING TO SEE UNLOCKED PHONES. PERIOD. IT'S THERE FOR THE READING, FREE, NO SPECULATION.
    I'm off to root.

6. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +775
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel 2XL
    Why isn't AT&T getting hit with this too? I tried to install FoxFi on my Dad's Note and it was blocked from the market. I got it on my AT&T S3 because I had it on my account from my DroidX so I saw it in my past installed Apps, but trying to search it gave nothing. It was easily side loaded but still, why isn't AT&T fined too?

7. Johnnyb

Johnnyb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It has to do with the bandwidth or frequency Verizon is using for data. Apparently they bought it at auction and there were some conditions of the sale that Big Red agreed to...and blocking tethering is in violation of that agreement somehow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

8. jaybogg

jaybogg Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Here's the VZW clause I was referring to under "Terms and Conditions", "Customer Agreement and Important Information":

You may use Mobile Hotspot or any other Wi-Fi hotspot or tethering service to use your smartphone or basic phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot or to tether it to your computer or tablet. If you subscribe to a data plan or package with an unlimited data allowance, there is an additional $20/month fee to do so.

I am currently paying:
    $65 for my plan (450 land line minutes/unlimited mobile to mobile/unl texts)
    $30 for unlimited data
    $95total before discounts, fees and taxes.
    Add $20 for tethering if I choose to tether:biggrin: and that becomes:
    $115.

Under shared plans, this is what I would get:

$40 for one device(unlimited calling and texts)
    $50 = 1GB data
    $60 = 2GB
    $70 = 4GB
    $80 = 6GB
    $90 = 8GB

So, under shared plans, for $5 dollars more I would be limited to 2GB($95 current vs $100). If I were to pay tethering, 5 dollars more would limit me to 6GB($115 vs $120)
    I have never used over 2GB of data as I don't watch TV, stream music, etc...to my phone. It seems my break-even point is if I were to be using over 6GB a month, then it would be prudent to pay the $20 tethering fee and legally use all the data I want(until I'm throttled).

The decision is for each to make, just presenting the facts as they currently stand.

9. lloydstrans

lloydstrans Banned

Ratings:
    +6,000
    When Verizon bought at auction, yes AT&T could have bought it, the spectrum (block-c), was sold under the conditions that it promoted free development, the thing the FCC says fuels growth and competition.

10. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Seems as though Vzw will not be selling many tablets anymore. Anyone on a shared data plan has to pay $20/month to have a vzw tablet on the account. If you can tether for free now, would anyone be stupid enough to pay $240/year to have a tablet on their shared data account?

*Sent from my Galaxy to yours through tapatalk

11. Bullitt6996

Bullitt6996 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hahahahahaha thats karma verizon, enjoy your public flogging and fine. lol

12. LoudRam

LoudRam Silver Member

Ratings:
    +365
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G7
    Twitter:
    @Loudram
    The only one is Foxfi. But you have to tether using Bluetooth. Wifi doesn't work with HTC unless you have a newer HTC running ICS like the One X and maybe the Incredible 4g. I can't tether with my Rezound even though I am running ICS.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

Search tags for this page
did verizon block foxfi
does verizon block foxfi?
droid blocks fox news
foxfi banned on verizon
foxfi legal verizon
foxfi verizon blocked

is foxfi legal

secondlife avatar gray verizon hotspot
verizon blocking pdanet
verizon blocks fox