Verizon Wireless Blocks The Updating Of Apps They Feel Are Unauthorized

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just use Wifi Tether for Root Users from google code... works better than Barnacle or anything else on the market anyway

but honestly, we own the phone and we pay for the data, why does it matter how we use it? Verizon's "unlimited" data plan will throttle your speeds if you go above 5GB and their new plans don't offer unlimited data, they'll charge you ridiculous overages for going above 2GB. It doesn't effect Verizon at all if we use our 2GB a month tethering wifi to our laptops or on our phones, other than that they don't get to charge us 10$ for something that shouldn't cost money anyway.

Screw 'em

It matters because Verizon can show better profits to their stock holders if they charge you twice for the same data. And because we signed a contract saying that it is ok to do it, they can.

Kinda like signing a contract that they can kick us in the stones. Crappy deal for us, but we agreed to it so we can't really blame them for doing it.

That said, free tether away. I pay VZW $130 a month for a single line and data plan and if I want to tether once in a blue moon, I will. I about 2GB a month on an unlimited plan, most of that from Netflix when I am on the elliptical at the gym. If I need to check my email or send a file from my work laptop from the road somewhere once every other month, I am gonna do it and Verizon can kiss off.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
BTW, what is the easiest free tether app that does it over the USB cable? I used that method with my iPhone and loved it, as it kept the battery charging while using it.

huskur

Reaction score
It matters because Verizon can show better profits to their stock holders if they charge you twice for the same data. And because we signed a contract saying that it is ok to do it, they can.

Kinda like signing a contract that they can kick us in the stones. Crappy deal for us, but we agreed to it so we can't really blame them for doing it.

That said, free tether away. I pay VZW $130 a month for a single line and data plan and if I want to tether once in a blue moon, I will. I about 2GB a month on an unlimited plan, most of that from Netflix when I am on the elliptical at the gym. If I need to check my email or send a file from my work laptop from the road somewhere once every other month, I am gonna do it and Verizon can kiss off.

Damn! You just took the words right out of my mouth!!!! Ditto on your response

huskur

Reaction score
BTW, what is the easiest free tether app that does it over the USB cable? I used that method with my iPhone and loved it, as it kept the battery charging while using it.

Use the wifi tether app from google. You can use it while plugged into USB

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Use the wifi tether app from google. You can use it while plugged into USB

Installed it, connected to my laptop and everything looked fine, but the only page my laptop's browser could get to was a VZW page telling me I had to pay $20 for the service. LOL

Guess they finally found a way to block free tethering? I have not used it in like 9 months, but it would be nice to have in case I needed it, but I am not paying an extra $240 a year for something that I might use once or twice...

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Installed it, connected to my laptop and everything looked fine, but the only page my laptop's browser could get to was a VZW page telling me I had to pay $20 for the service. LOL

Guess they finally found a way to block free tethering? I have not used it in like 9 months, but it would be nice to have in case I needed it, but I am not paying an extra $240 a year for something that I might use once or twice...

I'm guessing your on gingerbread. If you are they added code to redirect you even when using third party aps in an attempt to stop free tethering.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, latest GB from VZW. Oh well. Hopefully the case with the FCC will go somewhere and VZW will have to change how they do things. Charging for the same data twice, or restricting what apps you can use may violate the net-neutrality laws that they agreed to when the FCC gave them access to certain frequencies and things...

Verizon Faces Complaint for Blocking Tethering Apps | PCWorld

Its a good article, and while people hate the "Buffet analogy", I still think it holds water... If they want to limit "all you can eat" to 3 plates of food, or even charge a "per plate(GB)" tier, that is cool. But to then tell you what foods you can eat, or in what order if you are within the limit that they set, stinks.

leftspin

Reaction score

That's basically how i feel, you just put it more eloquently :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Yeah, latest GB from VZW. Oh well. Hopefully the case with the FCC will go somewhere and VZW will have to change how they do things. Charging for the same data twice, or restricting what apps you can use may violate the net-neutrality laws that they agreed to when the FCC gave them access to certain frequencies and things...

Verizon Faces Complaint for Blocking Tethering Apps | PCWorld

Its a good article, and while people hate the "Buffet analogy", I still think it holds water... If they want to limit "all you can eat" to 3 plates of food, or even charge a "per plate(GB)" tier, that is cool. But to then tell you what foods you can eat, or in what order if you are within the limit that they set, stinks.

That was a good article, however the problem is that it was all based on "the spirit" of the agreement between the consumer and VZW whereas "the letter" of the agreement states you won't tether unless you pay for it. Trust me I don't think its right that I have to pay extra to open my devise to tether my acer tablet or even my laptop if I'm on the road, but individuals using their phones for all their internet needs (tether say an xbox or ps3) do have the potential to slow down the network.

debdroid1a

Reaction score

The problem with this anology is that you're eating at ONE restruant. You're not eating at 4 different restruants. You pay for each place you eat at if you want at "unlimited/all you can eat" at different restraunts.

Same with data. You play for ONE unlimited phone data connection. If you want to use it on a different device, you pay for that data too.

they charge you twice for the same data.
. It's not the same data.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
The problem with this anology is that you're eating at ONE restruant. You're not eating at 4 different restruants. You pay for each place you eat at if you want at "unlimited/all you can eat" at different restraunts.

Same with data. You play for ONE unlimited phone data connection. If you want to use it on a different device, you pay for that data too.

I think the point trying to be made is whether the data is being used to search best buy on his phone or on his laptop it makes no difference because the data is being used through the phone.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

I think it is more like you are eating at one place, you are the only person eating it and they tell you, "Here is the buffet, here is the total amount of food that you can consume in a meal", but then they charge you more if you want to eat the food with a fork versus a spoon.

At the end of the day, it is the same data, from the same source, going to the same user that paid for that data from that source, and so long as I am the one consuming it(not sending out plates of food to my friends in the parking lot) and not going over the alloted amount(streaming data 24/7 or hooking my XBox up to it), I don't see what the problem is.

Well, legally. I mean, they call it "illegal tethering", but it isn't actually illegal. That is just a marketing tactic designed to add a negative stigma to the act of tethering.

All it is is something that they don't WANT you to do, because they want more money.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
I think it is more like you are eating at one place, you are the only person eating it and they tell you, "Here is the buffet, here is the total amount of food that you can consume in a meal", but then they charge you more if you want to eat the food with a fork versus a spoon.

At the end of the day, it is the same data, from the same source, going to the same user that paid for that data from that source, and so long as I am the one consuming it(not sending out plates of food to my friends in the parking lot) and not going over the alloted amount(streaming data 24/7 or hooking my XBox up to it), I don't see what the problem is.

Well, legally. I mean, they call it "illegal tethering", but it isn't actually illegal. That is just a marketing tactic designed to add a negative stigma to the act of tethering.

All it is is something that they don't WANT you to do, because they want more money.

But the problem is that there are people sending plates out to the parking lot to friends.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the point trying to be made is whether the data is being used to search best buy on his phone or on his laptop it makes no difference because the data is being used through the phone.

Precisely. Same data, through the same data channel and plan, through the same gateway, same user, same content, I just want to display it on a larger screen.

They used to do this in the old days with cable, where you paid for cable and a box and they charged you for how many TV's you had hooked up. Even sending people out to check and make sure you were not on any "unauthorized TV's" and all that. That got shot down. Now you pay for the service, and for the tuner boxes in order to get PPV, DVR and the extended features, but if you have cable-ready TV's you can plug one in for free so that you have basic channels in your guest bedroom.

If I pay for 5 plates of food, and I am the ONLY one eating the food and staying at or under the limit that I paid for, charging me extra if I eat it in a different order, or use a different utensil to put it in my mouth is BS. They can do it because we signed a contract, but it is still BS. It just means we signed a contract authorizing them to do something that is BS. LOL

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Under this premise, you should be paying extra for every device that you connect to your home network beyond your primary PC. You are paying for ONE data connection to your cable modem/router, but then you are splitting it to multiple devices, but it call comes in through the same device, all a single connection. With your cell phone, you are paying for ONE data connection to your cell phone, why does it matter where the data goes once it goes through your cable modem/router/cell phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.