[Updated] Google: Google Wallet Blocked by Verizon on VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Dec 6, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,785
    [​IMG]

The new Samsung Galaxy Nexus will be the next big phone to support the NFC technology for mobile payment systems like Google Wallet. Unfortunately, the Verizon version of this phone will have specifically Google Wallet, disabled on the device. According to a confirmation from Google, Verizon requested that the feature be disabled for their version of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The reason for this was not given, but more than likely it was a strategic decision by Verizon, since they have invested in their own mobile payment service called Isis, which is a partnership Verizon Wireless formed with AT&T and T-Mobile USA. In fact, there are several different competing mobile payment systems being developed. Here's a quote from the CNET article with a few more details,

Sound off in the forums if this will affect your decision to get the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Update/Follow-Up: Apparently, Verizon has denied that they purposefully "blocked" the Google Wallet software from their version of the Galaxy Nexus. They claim that they do not block software and that the reason they requested its removal was more of a philosophical business difference that they have with Google. They indicated that the Google Wallet software integrates more fully into the core of the phone, and presents a security issue that they were not comfortable with. Here's a quote from the CNET follow-up article with some more details,

What do you guys think of their response? Does it seem plausible, or a convenient excuse? Update Source: CNET

Source: CNET

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. jacwhite22

jacwhite22 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Of course not....Let's be real here. If you really want it that badly there will be ways to get it on there.

3. ghorig

ghorig Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Verizon has no business being in the mobile payment game and/or restricting use to just their version.
    Just give me data connectivity Verizon - let the free market/apps handle Navigation, Mobile Payment, Backups etc.
    Someone sue them...quick.

4. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The important question is if it's 'disabled' (i.e. via software or ROM function) that can be bypassed by developers or if it's not even included (i.e. they removed the chip or whatever physical piece is needed to activate the feature).

5. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +770
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy s4
    That's a bid disappointing. I personally was never going to use the feature, but just knowing I can't access it if I wanted is a letdown. Good job Verizon...

6. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +332
    I give it the day after release to be back on there and fully functional. Freaking Verizon.

7. bishop

bishop Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i never really planned on using it since i dont trust NFC yet but this is really anoying. Its like VZ is trying to lose me as a customer. Honestly if i didnt have the grandfathered unlimited plan and VZ didnt get a Nexus this year i would have jumped ship months ago. I am betting they just put the carrier restriction on it in the market like we have seen before. i would highly doubt that if some dev wanted it on there they couldnt put it on.

8. sc0rch3d

sc0rch3d Member

Ratings:
    +6
    same here, wanted to jump to att for sgs2 but that unlimited plan is just way too appealing. not ready to lose it yet.

9. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The NFC hardware has to still be included if Verizon wants to force Isis on us. As someone else said, likely Google Wallet (the app) will be carrier blocked in the Marketplace.

10. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I know what you guys are saying but im not sure if id want a hacked version of a payment system. For me, thats something that should stay officially done and constantly updated ya know? Id be fine with isis or wallet, if i use it that is. I did notice soda machines at my school that accept nfc stuff, not sure if its wallet or isis though.

11. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I think thats at the heart of the issue. I haven't kept up with NFC news, but I would assume the difference between Wallet and Isis is about the same difference between Visa and Mastercard. Shouldn't matter which one you use, so long as you have NFC. If that is true, then VZW shoudn't have any say, if you like Isis, you will install and use Isis. If you prefer Google Wallet, then you install and use that.

12. bishop

bishop Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am no expert but it it is just carrier blocked in the market you should be able to side load it without any hacking required, just need to get the apk. You would likely need to do any updating yourself though.

13. cush2push

cush2push Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +6
    If the carriers are smart isis will have carrier billing attached to it something i dont think wallet has

Sent from a fascinating ice cream shop

14. tjk629

tjk629 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    How is it blocked? Could you just download an. apk and be good to go?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

15. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 Member

Ratings:
    +10
Search tags for this page
android x2 removable chip
droid dragonvale app purchase payment denied verizon
google wallet att s3
shared

verizon blocking google wallet

verizon google wallet isis