Data signal worse than before the last software update

Beeare

Reaction score
Anyone find that the data signal issue is actually worse than before? On my phone, ever since the update to .893, the 4G signal icon at the top of the screen will be present, but the connection will actually be turned off. I have to put it on airplane mode and then click it off in order for the actual signal to reconnect.This never was a problem before the update for me. Anyone else notice the same thing?

imreddy

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. Hopefully there will be a fix with next update. It's frustrating.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Same, I want to attribute it to all this "fine tuning-growing pains" etc etc but it's like it came out of nowhere and started the same weekend I updated to .893. Coincidence? Perhaps...but I'm not ready to rule anything out just yet.

sr.torres22

Reaction score
Anyone find that the data signal issue is actually worse than before? On my phone, ever since the update to .893, the 4G signal icon at the top of the screen will be present, but the connection will actually be turned off. I have to put it on airplane mode and then click it off in order for the actual signal to reconnect.This never was a problem before the update for me. Anyone else notice the same thing?

Yes!!!! My exact issue.

nyght989

Reaction score
Same here took it to Verizon they gave me a new Sim card and now its worse then ever =/

Berniep

Reaction score
Same here. I never got the 4g icon with NO data before the update. Now it happens quite frequently and I have to power off to get it to reconnect, airplane mode is not enough.

billyk

Reaction score
Ditto.

The last update was a step backward for my Bionic. It can secure a 4G connection some of the time. The 4G connection problems are 100% random - can't find any pattern whatsoever. This makes it more likely that the data connection issues are on VZW's side, not on the handset.

Otherwise, the Bionic is brilliant - from every perspective. With 4G made more reliable in the next update (hopefully), this soon-to-be-5-months-old handset will cover every base for me.

OP
B

Beeare

Reaction score
I should have specified, that this is not only relegated to 4G. I am in New York, so I do get a 4G connection most of the time, but this seems to occur just as frequently when my phone happens to be receiving a 3G signal. This did seem to also coincide with Verizon's data issues, possibly even more than it did with the update, but because I haven't heard anything about those issues lingering to this point,I assumed it was more likely linked to software update. The thing that really bothers me, is that the signal problems that seemed prevalent amongst many Bionic owners before the update, was never a problem with my particular device. Thanks for the responses. It makes me feel a little better knowing my phone is probably not experiencing a unique problem that warrants bringing it in.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
No problem here in the Denver/Boulder area. I would say that the service has improved sonewhat as far a connectivity. I think that may be a combination of the updates and some Verizon infrastructure tweaking. Hang in there, they'll get this stuff figured out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

lightman77

Reaction score
My connections seem worse since the .893 update also. I'm sick of toggling airplane mode. Let's hope the upcoming update helps!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
For me it varies from location to location. At home, we live in a valley so it's spotty at best. Get out and it's better. At my parent's house it's solid enough to stream a Netfiix.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Try manually installing the 5.9.901 OTA...many have stated that this .901 OTA fixed the dropped 4G problem completely if the .893 doesn't

Artreas

Reaction score
My wife and I are considering upgrading our OG Droids to the bionic should we consider a different phone? I also read something about VZW charging extra to use 3g or 1x when 4g is not around. Any truth to that?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I think a good habit everyone in this forum should adopt is, whenever you talk about data issues, good or bad, always say where you are in the country. Mine have gone from almost nonexistant to almost daily in Atlanta, Georgia after .893.

dbord

Reaction score
Before update I would lose data maybe once or twice a week, after update it's five to ten times a day. I'm in Hawaii.