My Data is Completely Dead

Reaction score
I got the update yesterday morning, and was on WiFi for most of the day. I tried out data (4G and 3G) and it was not nearly as consistently on (or stable) as it was prior to the update. This morning I left the house, turned off WiFi as I usually do, and have absolutely no data whatsoever. I have solid cellular signal, just no data.

I pulled the battery, but nothing. I then did the SIM card pull and still nothing. Phone Status shows Mobile network state as disconnected, and the Network Signal Info app's System Info shows Radio/Serial as "unknown/unknown" although I don't know if that's normal behavior for the app.

I know there's a link for the pre-release .905, but I was wondering if anyone has posted an OTA .905 yet. I'll download that and manually install it.

Oh - rooted (used VooDoo so it survived the update), otherwise stock.

Please help! Thanks.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Wow... I had an x2 do this to me.. had to have it replaced. We had a data outage and when data kicked back on, I had nothing... it was a depressing few days lol.

You've checked your settings, made sure your background data is on??

Made sure data saver isn't enabled? What about your battery mode???

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
Captain Crypto
Reaction score
Forgot to mention - factory data reset is my last resort. It appears that the soak test is the latest version, so I'm going to try that.

OP
Captain Crypto
Reaction score
Wow... I had an x2 do this to me.. had to have it replaced. We had a data outage and when data kicked back on, I had nothing... it was a depressing few days lol.

You've checked your settings, made sure your background data is on??

Made sure data saver isn't enabled? What about your battery mode???

Yep, all data settings are enabled (I never changed them from yesterday). No data saver enabled, full performance settings since I have the extended battery. I would hate to have to get a refurb phone, but then again it would be better than a dead phone, amiright?

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
sounds like your SIM card isnt registering correctly with the towers.
if you've done a complete battery pull/SIM pull cycle I would suggest you grab a new SIM card from your local VZW store.

For those that don't know what I mean by a full battery/SIM pull cycle here are the steps I suggest:

1. Pull the battery and the SIM card
2. Replace ONLY the battery and power up the phone. Let the phone boot up fully and let it stay on for at least 3 minutes.. if not more. You'll get a screen eventually that says something like "SIM card required for operation..." blah blah blah.
3. Power down the right way
4. Replace the SIM card and power up again.

If this doesn't help then I'd get a new SIM card from VZW before going for the factory reset

OP
Captain Crypto
Reaction score
sounds like your SIM card isnt registering correctly with the towers.
if you've done a complete battery pull/SIM pull cycle I would suggest you grab a new SIM card from your local VZW store.

For those that don't know what I mean by a full battery/SIM pull cycle here are the steps I suggest:

1. Pull the battery and the SIM card
2. Replace ONLY the battery and power up the phone. Let the phone boot up fully and let it stay on for at least 3 minutes.. if not more. You'll get a screen eventually that says something like "SIM card required for operation..." blah blah blah.
3. Power down the right way
4. Replace the SIM card and power up again.

If this doesn't help then I'd get a new SIM card from VZW before going for the factory reset

Suppose if I already have a new SIM card? (When I bought the phone the guy gave me an extra.) Can I install a new one myself and register it, or do I have to have Verizon do it?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention - factory data reset is my last resort. It appears that the soak test is the latest version, so I'm going to try that.

There are absolutely NO differences between the leaked .905 and the official .905 - they are the exact same file, down to the last bits and bytes. Installing the exact same thing over again is what you would be doing.

And yes, I know what I am talking about.

There have been network issues on Verizon's end, this was confirmed by Motorola during the soak test. You can try a factory data reset if you want, but the problem will likely iron itself out soon. If not, then it's a hardware issue. Maybe your SIM card fried itself somehow.

OP
Captain Crypto
Reaction score
There are absolutely NO differences between the leaked .905 and the official .905 - they are the exact same file, down to the last bits and bytes. Installing the exact same thing over again is what you would be doing.

And yes, I know what I am talking about.

There have been network issues on Verizon's end, this was confirmed by Motorola during the soak test. You can try a factory data reset if you want, but the problem will likely iron itself out soon. If not, then it's a hardware issue. Maybe your SIM card fried itself somehow.

I realize I'd be installing the exact same thing, but I was wondering if maybe the install was corrupted somehow. I'll wait a few hours before I do anything else, but this phone is my work lifeline so I can't wait too long. I have a new SIM card already so I need to find out if I can install it myself and register it, or if I have to take it to Verizon (which I really want to avoid).

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You'd have to go.get a sim I think. Because a sim is registered to a phone number.. if its brand new never been used, you'd have to give vzw the numbers off of it for them to start it up.

Batman8

Reaction score
Many of us are having data issues these days when I didn't in the past. It really seems to be pointing to VZN and their network more so than the phones. I went into my local "corporate" VZN store last week and had them swap out my sim card. I then followed the exact same steps that Speeding Wheels outlined above, and it did seem to help for a very short time, then the problem came right back again.

At this point, I have become a huge fan of two apps called "Restart Connections" and "Service Speed Signal Boost" since using either of them will usually get my 4G signal back, temporarily anyway. I seem to loose my data connection about every 15-20 minutes, and then it usually will come back on it's own if I decide to wait on it, but sometimes when I don't have the time to wait I'll just use one of those two apps to get the signal back quicker.

I have yet ANOTHER open ticket with VZN to go out and check their cell sites/towers so HOPEFULLY they will narrow down the problem and F#%^ing fix it, and SOON!!! In the mean time...good luck, and hang in there. You're not alone on this one.

OP
Captain Crypto
Reaction score
Many of us are having data issues these days when I didn't in the past. It really seems to be pointing to VZN and their network more so than the phones. I went into my local "corporate" VZN store last week and had them swap out my sim card. I then followed the exact same steps that Speeding Wheels outlined above, and it did seem to help for a very short time, then the problem came right back again.

At this point, I have become a huge fan of two apps called "Restart Connections" and "Service Speed Signal Boost" since using either of them will usually get my 4G signal back, temporarily anyway. I seem to loose my data connection about every 15-20 minutes, and then it usually will come back on it's own if I decide to wait on it, but sometimes when I don't have the time to wait I'll just use one of those two apps to get the signal back quicker.

I have yet ANOTHER open ticket with VZN to go out and check their cell sites/towers so HOPEFULLY they will narrow down the problem and F#%^ing fix it, and SOON!!! In the mean time...good luck, and hang in there. You're not alone on this one.

Thanks. I have the Restart Connections app and I'm smacking it like it owes me money. Doesn't work. :angry:

OP
Captain Crypto
Reaction score
You'd have to call VZW or go into a store and have them associate the new SIM with your phone.

Unfortunately it looks like that's what I'll have to do this afternoon. Thanks for the help.

One thing I'm worried about - if they decide to do a factory reset, how will I retain root? Does VooDoo retain my back up on my SD card?

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
Unfortunately it looks like that's what I'll have to do this afternoon. Thanks for the help.

One thing I'm worried about - if they decide to do a factory reset, how will I retain root? Does VooDoo retain my back up on my SD card?

I cannot help you with root. I'm fully stock, and happy! :)
That being said if you did a full battery/SIM pull cycle and you're still without data I'm going to side with the person who said your SIM card somehow fried.

Factory resets/reflashing ROM's should be your last resort IMO.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
That being said if you did a full battery/SIM pull cycle and you're still without data I'm going to side with the person who said your SIM card somehow fried.

I did the sim pull one time and it did fry the sim card. That was my fault as I put it in backwards. After I saw what happened all I got was 3G in places where I always had rock solid 4G. I took it to a Verizon store and told them what I did. They confimed that the sim card was fried and swapped in out for a new one (plus registering it with my phone) for no charge.

Last edited: