Bionic reception worse than OG droid at work office

escthehack

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced worse overall reception including 1x, and 3G? I could talk and message all day long from my office with my OG droid, but now the Bionic has fewer to no bars and it seems to cycle between bars and no bars. It also has been dropping (failing to send) my text messages. So far it hasn't dropped a call yet but I am talking with only one bar of lower than 1x.

Is there something that can be done about this or should I just return the phone and wait for a phone with better reception ? I can't believe that if the OG was fine in my office why the Bionic would be worse!! I have even done the CDMA only and it hasn't improved it at all.

I am going to talk to Verizon about it and if there isn't anything that can be done, then I am going to return my Bionic within the 14 day window. I still consider my-self a Motorola fan boy, but I am really disappointed that I get no data signal at all from my office!

Any help appreciated!

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
I just read about this the other day in a review. Says the way the signal is calculated and displayed in "bars" is different. The review compared it to a Samsung Droid Charge (I think it was). Said where the Charge had 3-4 bars the Bionic only had 1-2. Doesnt mean its getting less signal though.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Regarding my above post:

"The Motorola Droid Bionic is a CDMA EVDO phone with LTE. It isn't a world phone, but it does work in a few dozen countries such as South Korea, China, and India where CDMA networks exist. The Bionic is a better voice phone than it puts on, because it dramatically under-reports its reception. At signal levels where the Droid Charge showed three bars, the Bionic showed two or one. When the Charge showed one bar, the Bionic showed none. That's with the same signal, mind you—it's just the display bars are calibrated differently."

Motorola Droid Bionic (Verizon Wireless) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

GBH2

Reaction score
Bars really don't mean anything, Give me a Motorola phone with 1 bar on VZW versus an HTC phone on ATT with 4 bars any day! lol

The Bionic seems pretty much the same as my OG Droid to me so far.

Go into both phones and go to Settings > About Phone > Status and look at the Signal Strength, For me, both phones are about the same. Sometimes one is slightly higher than the other but they change around and even being a few inches away or how you hold it could make a slight difference. The "Signal Strength" is in dBM and -86dBM is a better signal than -91dBM.

If you find the Bionic is significantly worse than the Droid, I would go and swap it out for another Bionic.

TimeChuck

Reaction score
I just read about this the other day in a review. Says the way the signal is calculated and displayed in "bars" is different. The review compared it to a Samsung Droid Charge (I think it was). Said where the Charge had 3-4 bars the Bionic only had 1-2. Doesnt mean its getting less signal though.

That's all well and good, but where my OG had service (at least 1X) all day long, my bionic can't find a Verizon signal. Bars or no, no data means my $300 phone is as useful as a pad of post its and a calculator.

sent from my droid bionic while it was working

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Have you tried updating your PRLs?? Or called VZW maybe a tower issue?? A factory reset??

LLR00717

TimeChuck

Reaction score
Verizon told me that weak to no data signal was a "known issue" this is why I sent back the GarbageBolt. Well, that and the customer service guy from HTC calling me a liar.

sent from my droid bionic while it was working

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced worse overall reception including 1x, and 3G? I could talk and message all day long from my office with my OG droid, but now the Bionic has fewer to no bars and it seems to cycle between bars and no bars. It also has been dropping (failing to send) my text messages. So far it hasn't dropped a call yet but I am talking with only one bar of lower than 1x.

Is there something that can be done about this or should I just return the phone and wait for a phone with better reception ? I can't believe that if the OG was fine in my office why the Bionic would be worse!! I have even done the CDMA only and it hasn't improved it at all.

I am going to talk to Verizon about it and if there isn't anything that can be done, then I am going to return my Bionic within the 14 day window. I still consider my-self a Motorola fan boy, but I am really disappointed that I get no data signal at all from my office!

Any help appreciated!

Sounds like you might be in a LTE fringe area. If thats the case, turn off LTE unless you need it and then see what the reception is like. Just sounds like the radio is fighting to switch to the best signal is all.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
I've always had a CRAP connection at my work office ("the bunker" as we call it), but actually getting good signal and a consistent 3g connection on the Bionic. As soon as I walk outside I get 4g with no issues, but I'm happy to have a usable connection inside now.

robertchen

Reaction score

Any help appreciated!

Same problems here! I went from the Droid X to the Bionic last week. My signal indicator is telling me I have less bars where I work compared to my Droid X. My friend also has the Bionic and his bars seem to be higher than mine. The only difference I can think of is that I got mine from Costco and he got his from the Verizon store.

Hope this helps

Cowpoke

Reaction score
My data connection strength is slightly worse worse than my OG as well. At my house I have solid 3g with the Droid, but with the Bio it can drop in and out. Same story at work and driving between home and work.

It seems better today than the last couple of days though, not sure what is up. I've tried with LTE on and off without seeing much difference.

I did notice one thing. I know a nearby town is 4g, I was driving through and it stayed on 3g (with lte turned on). I turned lte off then back on and 4g popped up.

Oh and someone mentioned PRL's, the PRL thing doesn't work the same with LTE devices. The call will just hang up. LTE devices auto update.

OP
E

escthehack

Reaction score
So I have been monitoring my Settings>About>Status> Mobile Network State and it is always "disconnected" while in my office and I have a signal dB fluxuating around -70 to -80 also it says mobile network type is CDMA -eHRPD. I seem to not be able to even get a 1x data connection. Now when I sent a test text it acutally changes to connecting and the signal boost up and changes to "Connecting". Does the Bionic throttle the connection to say battery if its not being used? I would just be a lot happier if I constantly had 1x reported in my office.

What are the chances that any other phones will have better or worse radios? I thought motorola always had better connections/reception than say Samsung or HTC, what are you alls thoughts on that?

Thanks

robertchen

Reaction score
I've decided it might just be an issue with my phone.. I'm returning it to Costo and heading to the Verizon store to get a new one. Let's hope it was just a bad phone.