BGR Exclusive: Verizon Wireless 2010/2011 roadmap!

funkylovemonkey

Reaction score
The iphone thing could go either way. First of all the last good information is that the contract between AT&T and Apple ends in 2012, not next year. There has been speculation, but not based on any facts just musings and wishful thinking. Of course it's possible that they renegotiated the contract, but there's no evidence that they have and no reason to think that AT&T would. Bear in mind that AT&T desperately wants to renew the iphone deal, and now that Verizon and T-Mobile have android phones that are selling extremely well, Apple doesn't have the bargaining position it did several years ago when it's only challenger was RIM which was aiming more for business customers anyway. If AT&T loses exclusivity their company is going to have significant problems, especially with the bad press they've received about the spottiness of their network. Which means you can be guaranteed that AT&T is going to offer Apple another very tempting deal to keep the iphone. Whether they take it is anyone's guess, but if the 2012 date is still valid (and there's no reason to think that it isn't despite what a lot of people are wishing) they may find it much harder to penetrate the android market on verizon an t-mobile after two or three years of it being a viable alternative. I don't think I'm the only one who was waiting for the iphone to migrate but now would never give up my droid.

On the other topic of processor power, I'm curious how far they can push processor speed without much of a cooling system... there's probably some natural point where it just doesn't work. I would be more interested in them focusing on things like gpus and more memory.

crackedvenom

Reaction score
i was one of theme waiting for the iphone to come to another carrier, but i have a droid now. theres no way id ever go for the iphone at this point. also, if they let us drop out data packages and **** for LTE id be glad to pay that amount too. if thats our plan charge, yeah count me in. we'll see what happens

diverbelow

Reaction score
Global does not mean LTE, it means GSM quad-band and CDMA since we here on Verizon are using an "outdated" lower-frequency network.

WE are on an outdated network? That is depressing...
AT&T is running GSM, Verizon is running CDMA. Other than incompatibility and the impossibility of using our phones on another carrier's network, how does our service stack up against theirs?

CDMA uses a lower-frequency signal than GSM. In areas where there are obstructions or the signal needs to carry further, CDMA is actually better -- however, GSM carries more data per cycle. It's like the move from 900Mhz cordless phones to 2.4Ghz. Remember how much further we used to be able to go with our old clunky cordless phones? Same deal.

Verizon has couple dual radio phones running on their network. The BB Storm and BB Tour and the BB 8830. They have dual radios and they work quite well on AT&T, TMO network in the US and excellent over seas.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Global does not mean LTE, it means GSM quad-band and CDMA since we here on Verizon are using an "outdated" lower-frequency network.

CDMA is the more recent technology and lower frequency doesn't mean outdated.
I agree with the latter half. It's apples to oranges -- more range/stronger signal versus more data per cycle. I'd rather have the stronger signal and more range for voice communication. It's digital anyway, so it's compressed before it's sent, which means the signal threshold survives at lower power levels.

As for the first part, I see what you mean. GSM has roots dating back to the mid 80's and CDMA is from around the mid 90's. The "outdated" part stems from global acceptance and compatibility. Now that "everyone" is on GSM it means CDMA is the outmoded form of communication. I'll start saying that from now on.

However, if it still functions, and in the application to which it's being applied it's the better system, how can it be outmoded? I'll leave that one to the engineers. :D

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
A 1.3ghz iPad competitor that will be flash capable? Time for Apple to start sweating. Long live Android!!!

I suspect Apple is already deep into development on the new iPad. ;)

There are reports today of the A8 processors going in the new batch. They also claimed 512mb instead of 256 and a 7" version. Honestly, the A8 chip and the 512mb are the two pieces of information I find legitimate out of the article.

dan j

Reaction score

CDMA is the more recent technology and lower frequency doesn't mean outdated.
I agree with the latter half. It's apples to oranges -- more range/stronger signal versus more data per cycle. I'd rather have the stronger signal and more range for voice communication. It's digital anyway, so it's compressed before it's sent, which means the signal threshold survives at lower power levels.

As for the first part, I see what you mean. GSM has roots dating back to the mid 80's and CDMA is from around the mid 90's. The "outdated" part stems from global acceptance and compatibility. Now that "everyone" is on GSM it means CDMA is the outmoded form of communication. I'll start saying that from now on.

However, if it still functions, and in the application to which it's being applied it's the better system, how can it be outmoded? I'll leave that one to the engineers. :D
From the Miriam Webster for outdated: adjective : no longer current :
With the capabilities built into smart phones to multi-task and the hectic, data hungry, fast-paced lives we lead I'd say that "no longer current" applies even though the CDMA is newer. Newer doesn't always mean better, and while the tech still functions it isn't as good as it's older relative when it comes to multi-tasking (phone calls while using the data plan). But, that will be fixed for folks who upgrade to LTE phones AFAIK.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
verizon-wireless-logo1.jpg

August 9th, 2010 at 10:41am

One of our Verizon Wireless sources has dropped a whole bunch of info in our laps. We’re talking intimate details of Verizon Wireless’ plans for the rest of 2010, 2011 and even some 2012 plans. Android tablets, LTE MiFi units, Android 3.0, video conferencing, and a whole lot more. Read on for the full details!

• In addition to the Motorola DROID 2 and Motorola DROID X, we’re told Motorola will launch a new DROID handset, the Motorola DROID Pro. It is supposed to have a 1.3GHz CPU, 4″ screen and global roaming capabilities. Estimated launch of November 2010
  • Motorola is working with Verizon on a “slab form-factor” device that sort of looks like an old Motorola Q but features a full touchscreen and global roaming. It will run Android 2.2. Maybe this will be a lower cost, MOTOBLUR handset?
  • There are a lot more Android invasions happening before the end of the year, we’re told. This includes a global Android device from both Samsung and HTC.
  • Samsung is working on a 7″ screen Android tablet with front-facing camera. Motorola is also working on a tablet as well, except it will sport a 10″ screen, either 1GHz or 1.3GHz CPU, front-facing camera, and Android 3.0. Don’t expect the Motorola so soon though, as we’re informed that while the launch was supposed to happen in December, Android 3.0 will probably hold up the release of that device and we should expect it around February 2011.
  • Verizon Wireless is aiming and on track to have at least 75% of the country covered in LTE coverage by April 2012
  • There will be a Novatel LTE MiFi device available in January or February that will apparently support up to 10 simultaneous Wi-Fi users.
  • Lastly, we’re told LTE data pricing will stick at $59.99/month, though it’s unclear what the data allowance will be.
Regardless of whether an iPhone comes to Verizon Wireless anytime soon, it’s obviously clear they aren’t slowing down with their huge Android push.

With LTE coming up, and a major stable of high-performance smartphones, it seems like Verizon has positioned themselves to win. We’ll see how the end of the year and 2011 shape up before making any concrete judgements, though. Did we get anyone excited?

BoyGeniusReport.Com
i believe this is the motorola device that they are working on that resembles the old Moto Q

resized_droidmini.jpg

more info here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-smart-phones/64732-new-mini-droid.html

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I would LOVE to pay $60 a month for LTE data...That is if they allow me to drop voice/text plans and go completely IP.
well with google voice and skype i think we might be able to do that but then again im sure VERIZON wont let us just have a data plan w/o a voice plan =[

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
we’re told Motorola will launch a new DROID handset, the Motorola DROID Pro. It is supposed to have a 1.3GHz CPU, 4″ screen and global roaming capabilities. Estimated launch of November 2010​

Finally, something substantial about the dancedroid Droid Pro dancedroid 4" screen sounds good and 1.3ghz is not quite what I was hoping for but that would be the biggest and baddest to date, I am glad I called Verizon so many times about the X and the best answer I ever got was "Sir, the most I can do is let you upgrade on November the 8th of this year" (the first Monday after the 6th, 1 year after the purchase of the Original Droid), the woman also sent me an email with her contact information and extension and told me to give her a call that Monday, but my guess is this Device will have a Black Friday release time frame​

magdream

Reaction score
But I guess we still don't know if the Pro will be LTE ready/capable, do we?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I would LOVE to pay $60 a month for LTE data...That is if they allow me to drop voice/text plans and go completely IP.
well with google voice and skype i think we might be able to do that but then again im sure VERIZON wont let us just have a data plan w/o a voice plan =[

Depends....Free VoIP (which Google is rumored to offer eventually with Gizmo, at least initially) could save some money. But if you talk enough, 2 cents a minute won't save you much, if anything, over the extra $30 a month for unlimited. Agree, though, if you could drop the whole voice plan.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

Depends....Free VoIP (which Google is rumored to offer eventually with Gizmo, at least initially) could save some money. But if you talk enough, 2 cents a minute won't save you much, if anything, over the extra $30 a month for unlimited. Agree, though, if you could drop the whole voice plan.
Unless you get something like a mobile broadband package for a netbook/wireless modem, you're always going to be stuck with a voice package. There's a reason for this:

These are phones we're talking about here. Voice packages are what pay for the networks; I saw it takes approximately a year for Verizon to recoup the cost of a top-tier smartphone sale (and I can agree with that, considering my droid cost me $135 with activation and I got $100 back...) with the $30 monthly data package, so the voice is where they make their money to keep rolling.

I have a 19% discount on my line so they're making even less off me, and my data usage is around 10GB/month. I'd laugh evilly here but I'm too busy giggling maniacally. :)