Verizon Wireless preparing systems for 4G devices

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
vz_4g.jpg

We have all heard the rumors that Verizon will be launching its 4G LTE network by the end of 2010. It has also been hinted that the initial 4g launch will be on Black Friday, and will be accompanied by Verizon's first series of 4G capable phones.

Well today we have great news, in regards to Verizon's upcoming 4G service. BGR is reporting that on July 18th, the Verizon Wireless systems will be undergoing updates in preparation for Verizon's 4G launch. Specifically, the systems will be switching from ESN/MEID identifiers to "Device ID".

A quote from the Verizon email gives us a look-see at the inner workings of Verizon:
the ESN/MEID field will be changed to Device ID effective Sunday [July 18th] to prepare for 4G devices coming on.
So, could this mean that Verizon's 4G network may be unveiled before that proposed end-of-November date? Perhaps. Or it could just be the first in a series of routine changes Verizon will undergo before its 4G rollout on Black Friday. Story developing...

source: BGR

Last edited:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
The stepson of the 2Ghz monster is being developed by Cyberdyne systems in Calif. Subcontracted by motorola ...

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The stepson of the 2Ghz monster is being developed by Cyberdyne systems in Calif. Subcontracted by motorola ...

Do you have a source? John Connor doesn't count :icon_eek:

cypherx82

Reaction score
Now I'm wondering if I should hold off on upgrading to the Incredible. :dry:

I would. They aren't even producing Incredible anymore.

Eh, I'm not sure what to do. I've also already promised someone my phone.

They can wait, though.

I wish we had a more definite timeline. If Verizon 4G is going to be this year, I'll wait. If not, I'll just find something else to get.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Eh, I'm not sure what to do. I've also already promised someone my phone.

They can wait, though.

I wish we had a more definite timeline. If Verizon 4G is going to be this year, I'll wait. If not, I'll just find something else to get.

If everything goes to plan, expect a 4g phone by Black Friday. Will you be able to hold off till then? that's a long ways off.

HeroNova

Reaction score
personally I stopped waiting. I get a new phone every six months about anyway so if I wanted something now, I'd just get it. By the time 4G capable phones come out and are ready to be used to their capacity I'd be ready for a new phone.

cypherx82

Reaction score
I've got a family member moving from AT&T to our Verizon plan, so I was going to give her my Droid and get a new phone. Whether I get one or not she's coming to Verizon and she's getting a Droid, so I figure I might as well use this opportunity to to a mini-upgrade until 4G is up.

My Dad is eligible and wouldn't know a smartphone if it hit him in the face, so I will probably upgrade now and keep his upgrade in reserve for 4G.

Then I'll be eligible this time next year, so I'm set.

cypherx82

Reaction score

kpiskin

Reaction score
You can get a new phone IF you're willing to plunk down another $200 for it, that is if you are eligible for a "free" upgrade. Funny how they are no longer really free unless you buy a rotary dial phone.