BGR Exclusive: Verizon Wireless 2010/2011 roadmap!

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
verizon-wireless-logo1.jpg

August 9th, 2010 at 10:41am

One of our Verizon Wireless sources has dropped a whole bunch of info in our laps. We’re talking intimate details of Verizon Wireless’ plans for the rest of 2010, 2011 and even some 2012 plans. Android tablets, LTE MiFi units, Android 3.0, video conferencing, and a whole lot more. Read on for the full details!

• In addition to the Motorola DROID 2 and Motorola DROID X, we’re told Motorola will launch a new DROID handset, the Motorola DROID Pro. It is supposed to have a 1.3GHz CPU, 4″ screen and global roaming capabilities. Estimated launch of November 2010
  • Motorola is working with Verizon on a “slab form-factor” device that sort of looks like an old Motorola Q but features a full touchscreen and global roaming. It will run Android 2.2. Maybe this will be a lower cost, MOTOBLUR handset?
  • There are a lot more Android invasions happening before the end of the year, we’re told. This includes a global Android device from both Samsung and HTC.
  • Samsung is working on a 7″ screen Android tablet with front-facing camera. Motorola is also working on a tablet as well, except it will sport a 10″ screen, either 1GHz or 1.3GHz CPU, front-facing camera, and Android 3.0. Don’t expect the Motorola so soon though, as we’re informed that while the launch was supposed to happen in December, Android 3.0 will probably hold up the release of that device and we should expect it around February 2011.
  • Verizon Wireless is aiming and on track to have at least 75% of the country covered in LTE coverage by April 2012
  • There will be a Novatel LTE MiFi device available in January or February that will apparently support up to 10 simultaneous Wi-Fi users.
  • Lastly, we’re told LTE data pricing will stick at $59.99/month, though it’s unclear what the data allowance will be.
Regardless of whether an iPhone comes to Verizon Wireless anytime soon, it’s obviously clear they aren’t slowing down with their huge Android push.

With LTE coming up, and a major stable of high-performance smartphones, it seems like Verizon has positioned themselves to win. We’ll see how the end of the year and 2011 shape up before making any concrete judgements, though. Did we get anyone excited?

BoyGeniusReport.Com

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
verizon-wireless-logo1.jpg
August 9th, 2010 at 10:41am

One of our Verizon Wireless sources has dropped a whole bunch of info in our laps. We’re talking intimate details of Verizon Wireless’ plans for the rest of 2010, 2011 and even some 2012 plans. Android tablets, LTE MiFi units, Android 3.0, video conferencing, and a whole lot more. Read on for the full details!

• In addition to the Motorola DROID 2 and Motorola DROID X, we’re told Motorola will launch a new DROID handset, the Motorola DROID Pro. It is supposed to have a 1.3GHz CPU, 4″ screen and global roaming capabilities. Estimated launch of November 2010
  • Motorola is working with Verizon on a “slab form-factor” device that sort of looks like an old Motorola Q but features a full touchscreen and global roaming. It will run Android 2.2. Maybe this will be a lower cost, MOTOBLUR handset?
  • There are a lot more Android invasions happening before the end of the year, we’re told. This includes a global Android device from both Samsung and HTC.
  • Samsung is working on a 7″ screen Android tablet with front-facing camera. Motorola is also working on a tablet as well, except it will sport a 10″ screen, either 1GHz or 1.3GHz CPU, front-facing camera, and Android 3.0. Don’t expect the Motorola so soon though, as we’re informed that while the launch was supposed to happen in December, Android 3.0 will probably hold up the release of that device and we should expect it around February 2011.
  • Verizon Wireless is aiming and on track to have at least 75% of the country covered in LTE coverage by April 2012
  • There will be a Novatel LTE MiFi device available in January or February that will apparently support up to 10 simultaneous Wi-Fi users.
  • Lastly, we’re told LTE data pricing will stick at $59.99/month, though it’s unclear what the data allowance will be.
Regardless of whether an iPhone comes to Verizon Wireless anytime soon, it’s obviously clear they aren’t slowing down with their huge Android push.

With LTE coming up, and a major stable of high-performance smartphones, it seems like Verizon has positioned themselves to win. We’ll see how the end of the year and 2011 shape up before making any concrete judgements, though. Did we get anyone excited?

BoyGeniusReport.Com
While getting the iPhone on Verizon would be a good move for Apple and Verizon, I don't think they'll be biting any time soon with the rush to Android and the rush from customers BUYING Android. Besides, the contract with AT&T isn't up yet.

Mojo

Reaction score
I am excited! I can tell you that for sure!! There is also a few more things to come above and beyond this too before the end of the year... We just cannot talk about them yet. :D

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If thats true, then there goes the notion that the droid pro will have a 2ghz dual processor.
Oh well, on to the next rumor. Will there be any phones with dual core.......

BLeClair12

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but what exactly is the whole LTE thing? I've heard it mentioned, but know virtually nothing about it, and $59.99/month for data is a scary, scary figure.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but what exactly is the whole LTE thing? I've heard it mentioned, but know virtually nothing about it, and $59.99/month for data is a scary, scary figure.

pretty much 4g

tony1208

Reaction score
jesus christ $60 a month ...if thats true...sprint here i come ...in 2 yrs anyhow lol

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
While getting the iPhone on Verizon would be a good move for Apple and Verizon, I don't think they'll be biting any time soon with the rush to Android and the rush from customers BUYING Android. Besides, the contract with AT&T isn't up yet.[/QUOTE]

Many indicators pointing to January 2011 for Iphone on VZW.

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
and $59.99/month for data is a scary, scary figure.

+1, hopefully they have tiered options that start much less than 60/month..
Early reports indicate that LTE data packages will be tiered, but those same reports said that 3G would be unlimited forever, and we're already hearing rumblings that it won't. Probably the $60 is unlimited and details on the lower tiers will be forthcoming.

Of course, once phones start the switch to LTE/4G then the demand on the 3G network will drop and there'll be no reason to tier access to it -- we hope.

alm0614

Reaction score
and $59.99/month for data is a scary, scary figure.

+1, hopefully they have tiered options that start much less than 60/month..
Early reports indicate that LTE data packages will be tiered, but those same reports said that 3G would be unlimited forever, and we're already hearing rumblings that it won't. Probably the $60 is unlimited and details on the lower tiers will be forthcoming.

Of course, once phones start the switch to LTE/4G then the demand on the 3G network will drop and there'll be no reason to tier access to it -- we hope.

Couldnt agree more, i guess only time will tell. especially with this recent OTA debacle, no one really knows WTH is gonna happen

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
I would LOVE to pay $60 a month for LTE data...That is if they allow me to drop voice/text plans and go completely IP.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
While getting the iPhone on Verizon would be a good move for Apple and Verizon, I don't think they'll be biting any time soon with the rush to Android and the rush from customers BUYING Android. Besides, the contract with AT&T isn't up yet.

Many indicators pointing to January 2010 for Iphone on VZW.[/QUOTE]
And further research on my part has indicated the contract will be up soon. My bad. I thought it was in effect till 2012.

That may be why they're trying to lock everyone into Android handsets now, so that when the ViPhone rolls out they can sucker people into buying it at full cost. So what's up with all the knocks on Apple via the Droid Does ads? Or was it just a victory dance?

In any case, unless Verizon botches something here, it'll be good news for them.

Mojo

Reaction score
The $59.99 LTE data plan is for Data Card (Mobile BroadBand) Plans. Its the same price as it is now. Nothing to freak out about.