More Froyo

lokiju

Reaction score
Battery Drain on 2.2 Solved for me, maybe same solution for you?

After having lots of hurdles and issues to get everything how I wanted it on 2.2 I finally got my Exchange email work, got my Exchange calendar working, figured out how to disable apps from automatically being re-downloaded and reinstalled in the background (which was killing my battery).

Got the new Maps update fixed with Jrummy's method, got low voltage kernels set with the anyrom method, etc, etc...

Well when all that was said and done, my battery was STILL draining incredibly fast and my phone was very hot.

I downloaded (paid version) the app SystemPanel and let it run all night and lo and behold it claims my Exchange mail is keeping my network usage going pretty much non-stop and more importantly my CPU was pegged at 100% non-stop as well.

I started playing with what my Exchange account was syncing but unchecking the options of "sync contacts" and "sync calendar". When I did that my network usage and CPU went to nothing.

So I re-enabled "sync contacts" and it remained at nothing.

I then re-enabled "sync calendar" and BAM CPU at 100% and network traffic spiking (on the receive end). I gave it a good 30 mins just to see if it'd calm down, but never did.

Since I've left it to NOT sync my Exchange calendar my phones been running just as cool as it did on 2.1 update 1 stock and my battery life is back to normal.

So if anyone else out there is having a hot phone and horrible battery life AND is syncing their Exchange/work data, try disabling the calendar sync and let me know if that fixed the issue for you also.

Unfortunately this is a function I absolutely have to have working in the long run since pretty much ever min of every work day is booked a month in advance for me. I really hope this gets resolved in future releases.

If anyone else out there is syncing with Exchange 2007 on Bugless Beast 2.2 ROM (or any 2.2 ROM, I've tried them all and it's the same issue) with their Calendar syncing as well, please let me know.

Also, if anyone else ever sees a fix out there for this, I'd love to hear it.

Whew!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Thanks for pointing that thread out, Hook. I got it working (with a break to make a nandroid backup just to be safe) in under ten minutes. I noticed someone mentioning that if you don't have busybox installed to just leave that out when you're putting it in. Don't know if that helps you or not.

LTLFTCer

Reaction score
Thanks. The map fix worked. Are we going to have to do this with every map update? Lok I have battery issues I feel as well. But don't have exchange. Thanks for the tip on system panel

Mikey's Droid

Reaction score
Yo. I'm trying to do this whole update but i'm a total noob. Can someone show me where the steps are outlined? I can't read through 1,000s of posts :)

This is what I have done so far...downloaded the update, (update.zip) and moved it to the root on my Droid. When I try to restart...all hell breaks loose.

How do you restart in safe mode?

I have never updated anything on my droid. Is there something I am missing.

Oh, and be gentle to me. :icon_eek:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Per koush and cyanogen (twitter), Froyo just dropped on AOSP.
My first reaction was filled with so many curses and swear words I think I just saw a sailor blush and I'm nowhere near a large body of water. Instead of posting it, I'm going to say "this means a 'stock' plus root ROM will be out post haste, yes?"

Please? Someone?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yo. I'm trying to do this whole update but i'm a total noob. Can someone show me where the steps are outlined? I can't read through 1,000s of posts :)

This is what I have done so far...downloaded the update, (update.zip) and moved it to the root on my Droid. When I try to restart...all hell breaks loose.

How do you restart in safe mode?

I have never updated anything on my droid. Is there something I am missing.

Oh, and be gentle to me. :icon_eek:

Mikey,

First off, are you rooted? If not, you will be after this is done, so if that's an issue stop now. Secondly, do you have SPRecovery flashed in? If not, you'll need it for an update.zip. Otherwise you'll need to go here:

A Guide to get Froyo - for NON-ROOTED users

If you use Clockwork, good luck. I don't use it and from what I was reading when the leaks first came out it often caused a lot of issues trying to install. Instructions are floating around and I'm sure one of the Mods can point you at them a lot easier than I can. :) Therefore all the instructions will be based on SPRecovery and, since I'm pressed for time, won't be super-clean, but they will be complete.

As for booting into recovery, you need to hold down X on the keyboard and power the phone on, holding the X key until SPRecovery boots. If nothing happens and it boots normally, try again. You have to be holding the X down before the M appears -- hold it down THEN power the phone on. If nothing happens this time and you're 100% sure you did it right, you don't have SPRecovery flashed in properly. There's a great video on Youtube that will walk you through it. Alternatively, go here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html and follow the directions carefully.

Installation at this point becomes relatively simple. You make a nandroid backup (instructions are elsewhere and readily found with a forum search but I know how non-effective that can be sometimes)but can be had easily for the price of another question. After that, flash your system memory and cache at least twice and many recommend three times -- that means three of the one and three of the other -- and then do an advanced nandroid recovery of the FroYo ROM.

Unfortunately, you can't do that as an update.zip, so you'll need to extract the files from the update.zip you have on your SD card's root and move them into the nandroid folder you just created with SPRecovery. Rinse and repeat, or in this case, reboot and recovery.

Don't be alarmed if the boot after the install takes forever. This is normal.

I hope this helps. If you just want FroYo and don't mind flashing in a ROM and don't want to go through the hassle (as little as it is one) to do a nandroid recovery instead of the update.zip method, I know for sure that Chevyno1's Simply Stunning is available as an update.zip and I imagine others are as well at this point.

However, if you don't mind waiting a few days, the source code was just released for the developers to hack on, so ROMs built from source instead of just modified release candidates will be available soon. I hope. :)

Mikey's Droid

Reaction score
Mikey,

First off, are you rooted? If not, you will be after this is done, so if that's an issue stop now. Secondly, do you have SPRecovery flashed in? If not, you'll need it for an update.zip. Otherwise you'll need to go here:

A Guide to get Froyo - for NON-ROOTED users

If you use Clockwork, good luck. I don't use it and from what I was reading when the leaks first came out it often caused a lot of issues trying to install. Instructions are floating around and I'm sure one of the Mods can point you at them a lot easier than I can. :) Therefore all the instructions will be based on SPRecovery and, since I'm pressed for time, won't be super-clean, but they will be complete.

As for booting into recovery, you need to hold down X on the keyboard and power the phone on, holding the X key until SPRecovery boots. If nothing happens and it boots normally, try again. You have to be holding the X down before the M appears -- hold it down THEN power the phone on. If nothing happens this time and you're 100% sure you did it right, you don't have SPRecovery flashed in properly. There's a great video on Youtube that will walk you through it. Alternatively, go here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html and follow the directions carefully.

Installation at this point becomes relatively simple. You make a nandroid backup (instructions are elsewhere and readily found with a forum search but I know how non-effective that can be sometimes)but can be had easily for the price of another question. After that, flash your system memory and cache at least twice and many recommend three times -- that means three of the one and three of the other -- and then do an advanced nandroid recovery of the FroYo ROM.

Unfortunately, you can't do that as an update.zip, so you'll need to extract the files from the update.zip you have on your SD card's root and move them into the nandroid folder you just created with SPRecovery. Rinse and repeat, or in this case, reboot and recovery.

Don't be alarmed if the boot after the install takes forever. This is normal.

I hope this helps. If you just want FroYo and don't mind flashing in a ROM and don't want to go through the hassle (as little as it is one) to do a nandroid recovery instead of the update.zip method, I know for sure that Chevyno1's Simply Stunning is available as an update.zip and I imagine others are as well at this point.

However, if you don't mind waiting a few days, the source code was just released for the developers to hack on, so ROMs built from source instead of just modified release candidates will be available soon. I hope. :)

I'm not rooted, in fact I have no idea what you mean by that. Oh boy.

I went to the site you provided. I got held up right away because I have no idea if I have a 32 or 64 bit motorola USB. How do I find that out? I think I have the rest of it down from there however.