More Froyo

MAD450r

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
mad450r.spaces.live.com
try this

Copy market from maps Rom. Then push it to the one it having trouble with. If its still not working. Try a different kernel.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Hopefully the official froyo will come out in July as expected and I assume it won't take much to root it since the process to root the RC of froyo has already be accomplished. I really want to get the official froyo stock rooted, I'm not a big fan of ROMs.

lilhill

Reaction score
Hey guys...

I'm having an overclocking issue. Whenever I try to overclock over 1.1ghz, my phone freezes. I have to do a battery pull to reboot and it takes three consecutive battery pulls to get the phone to remain responsive long enough to change the processor speed.

The issue persists while using P3, Chevy (mv, lv, ulv), and another kernel which I can't remember. The issue also persists across multiple ROMs (at least three different ROMs).

When I first rooted and flashed a voles Froyo ROM, I don't recall having this problem.

Any insight on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!

blazingwolf

Reaction score
Hey guys...

I'm having an overclocking issue. Whenever I try to overclock over 1.1ghz, my phone freezes. I have to do a battery pull to reboot and it takes three consecutive battery pulls to get the phone to remain responsive long enough to change the processor speed.

The issue persists while using P3, Chevy (mv, lv, ulv), and another kernel which I can't remember. The issue also persists across multiple ROMs (at least three different ROMs).

When I first rooted and flashed a voles Froyo ROM, I don't recall having this problem.

Any insight on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like your phone can't take 1.1. Back down to 1GHz and see if that works for you.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

Have you tried a jdlfg kernel? How about a belkit or bekit or however it's spelled?

Also, like blazingwolf said, your phone might not handle anything faster. Once we get ROMS built from source the situation might change, but don't hold your breath.

Is the freeze random or is it when you try to boot or what?

lilhill

Reaction score

Have you tried a jdlfg kernel? How about a belkit or bekit or however it's spelled?

Also, like blazingwolf said, your phone might not handle anything faster. Once we get ROMS built from source the situation might change, but don't hold your breath.

Is the freeze random or is it when you try to boot or what?

I haven't tried a jdlfg or belkit kernel. I'll look into that. I would think that my phone couldn't handle the fast clock speed, but in the past (just a couple weeks ago) it did handle the speed - all the way up to 1.25ghz. Then it would freeze on 1.25 and was okay on 1.1, now even 1.0 freezes.

The initial issue happens about 5 seconds after I push the max slider to the higher speed in SetCPU. The phone completely freezes and the only thing I can do is pull the battery. The next two times my phone starts, I'm unable to do anything for about 20 seconds because the phone is running slowly and then it freezes and needs a battery pull again. This happens on the first two restarts after I up the clock speed. On the third restart (without fail) I'm able to open SetCPU and pull the clock speed down (but if I don't do this quickly, the phone freezes again.

I'm so confused lol

Thanks for your help ;)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
It sounds very much like your phone's overheating. Are you running SetCPU 1.6.0? FroYo handles some things differently and others have reported an inability to run their phones quite as fast as they could before flashing in one of the original leaks.

Which flavor of FroYo are you running?

lilhill

Reaction score
It sounds very much like your phone's overheating. Are you running SetCPU 1.6.0? FroYo handles some things differently and others have reported an inability to run their phones quite as fast as they could before flashing in one of the original leaks.

Which flavor of FroYo are you running?

I'm not exactly sure which ROM I'm running but I'm pretty sure it's FRF57 (it came from this site - Download: Newer Motorola Droid Froyo Leak FRF57 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog). My phone's build number says: voles-userdebug 2.2 FRFxx 33333 test-keys.

I'm currently running SetCPU 2.0b (I guess I was running 1.6.0 before, but I'm not sure since I never looked at the build number).

I was thinking that overheating might be the issue too, but while the freezing is happening, the temp being reported by SetCPU (battery temp I believe) is only around 100F. Also, I've gone through the restarting process described above at least 10 times and the issue is consistent. I can run the phone at 900mhz all day long with no issues and I feel that there wouldn't be an overheating issue from me running at 1 or 1.1 ghz when 900mhz works fine. Could be though, I guess.

T6D16C84

Reaction score
I installed Froyo on my phone about a month ago and had no issues until this weekend. All of a sudden my signal strenght and call quality has gone to crap..... I get one bar and crap quality on my calls where I used to get 3 to 4 bars and have never experienced call quality issues......

lilhill

Reaction score
I installed Froyo on my phone about a month ago and had no issues until this weekend. All of a sudden my signal strenght and call quality has gone to crap..... I get one bar and crap quality on my calls where I used to get 3 to 4 bars and have never experienced call quality issues......

Try holding your phone differently without covering the black lines near the phone's bottom corners, especially the left corner. That should fix your signal strength.

... oh wait, this is the Droid forum, my bad...

Seriously though, what baseband do you have? If you go to Setting > About Phone > Baseband, what does it say?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm not exactly sure which ROM I'm running but I'm pretty sure it's FRF57 (it came from this site - Download: Newer Motorola Droid Froyo Leak FRF57 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog). My phone's build number says: voles-userdebug 2.2 FRFxx 33333 test-keys.

I'm currently running SetCPU 2.0b (I guess I was running 1.6.0 before, but I'm not sure since I never looked at the build number).

I was thinking that overheating might be the issue too, but while the freezing is happening, the temp being reported by SetCPU (battery temp I believe) is only around 100F. Also, I've gone through the restarting process described above at least 10 times and the issue is consistent. I can run the phone at 900mhz all day long with no issues and I feel that there wouldn't be an overheating issue from me running at 1 or 1.1 ghz when 900mhz works fine. Could be though, I guess.

First off, thanks for letting me know SetCPU is up to 2.0b. I was still running 1.6.0. I get mine free (and legally) but I have to do manual updates as a result and I hadn't checked in a few days.

Okay, have you read Overclocking 101 by Skull One? If not, take a look, it tells you a lot.

Secondly, you're running the vanilla FRF57 FroYo RC? I thought I was the only one left (though I did Black Glass theme it)!

Without a CPU temperature monitor we really don't know what's going on inside our phones. Battery temperatures tend to be more stable (on both ends) than the CPU temperature, so you could be spiking insanely high really quickly and you wouldn't know till it hits your battery, though the issues you're having sound very much like an overheating CPU.

Since you can only push the phone to 1Ghz right now, I'd suggest you try a higher-clocked kernel, push it to 900 or 1000 mhz for now, let the phone charge overnight (so it can cool off) and try pushing it higher and see if you have the same issue and if it's an instant thing or not. If it still happens instantly there's an issue with your hardware not handling the increased speeds under 2.2 (I think it might be a JIT issue), if it takes a moment it's heat. If it doesn't happen at all, it's heat.

If you don't want to put up with the crap, just run it at 900 and be grateful you're not stuck with one of the ones that can only run 600, 700, or 800mhz kernels! :)

Of course, someone else might know more than I do and have other suggestions, but that's my opinion.

Oh, and ChevyNo1's ULV kernel, if it works for you, will generate the least amount of heat and use the least amount of juice, so if you're stuck at 1Ghz, you might as well run 1Ghz as long as possible, right?