New baseband too??

y0manda

Reaction score
Not getting this. Nothing wrong with the signals I am getting now.

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hey guys yesterday I notice that when i disabled my 3g and enabled WiFi and then Disabling WiFi my 3g never came back even after waiting it out for about 10 mins (weird).

Then I enabled WiFi again and then disable it and then it came up right away. Just kind of made me think uhmmmmm is this BaseBand really better??

So far it has NOT repeated itself, but what experience everyone has gotten with this? I haven't notice any performance or De-performance. Seems more or less the same can't tell the difference, then again I've only tried it at home and one other town so far.

I experienced this EXACT problem. Was getting me very frustrated. The only way I was able to fix it (other than rebooting the phone) was to enable Airplane mode..then disable it..so the radio would restart.

But now, after updating to the baseband quoted below...problem is fixed..for me at least.
Turned wi-fi on and off about 10 time in a row and 3G came back within 2-3 seconds.

bhall238

Reaction score
I am just now seeing this thread and I havent read all 24 pages so please forgive me. I did read that you have to have 2.2 for this to work. Its not released yet right?( did i miss this?) If I wait till it is officially released will I have to install zip files and flash whatever? Wont 2.2 come with the latest and greatest? I am seeing several of you having problems and some worrying about voiding the warranty. I'm tired, Just got home from work and I guess I'm wondering why go through all this when some are saying they don't see any improvement.

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I am just now seeing this thread and I havent read all 24 pages so please forgive me. I did read that you have to have 2.2 for this to work. Its not released yet right?( did i miss this?) If I wait till it is officially released will I have to install zip files and flash whatever? Wont 2.2 come with the latest and greatest? I am seeing several of you having problems and some worrying about voiding the warranty. I'm tired, Just got home from work and I guess I'm wondering why go through all this when some are saying they don't see any improvement.
2.2 is not officially released. These are just leaks.
And any final/official baseband improvements would be included in the official 2.2 release anyway.
So if you're not having any problems with your signal....it's definitely not necessary to upgrade at this point in time. It's just being proivded as an option for us to use now instead of waiting for the actual final release (who knows how long it will take)

mentaloaf

Reaction score

I don't have 2.2 (bbv1.1 1gHZ kernel) and this 01_43_01 baseband is working great for me. When I first installed it my phone was real buggy, so I restored, then wiped, then installed BB v1.1 again and my droid is working better than ever! I live out in the jungle on Maui so I have some real issues with signal and this morning I have all bars all over my yard. Honestly I don't really know or understand what the baseband update is, I just did it because after reading a lot it sounded like I might get better reception....I'm glad I did it now for sure.

bhall238

Reaction score
How does one update for non rooted user? i boot into recovery and try to apply update.zip. I get a File Signature error?

Trying to help a buddy of mine who refuses to root (warranty reasons or whatever).

Help?

P.S. you guys rock!

This is for 2.2 only

Rooted or Not.
This is where I got the idea you needed 2.2. And since it was brought up I don't know enough to not destroy this phone by trying to root it. Think I'll wait for the official release but I enjoy reading all of the ongoing efforts. I know this is all about a leak but it kind a sounds like some hacking going on :icon_eek:.... :)

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, Backnblack was just wrong about it, with all due respect to him/her.

Updating radios are among the riskier things you can do. I can understand if you don't feel comfortable about it.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh, and if you wait for the official OTA update, it will install 2.2 with the latest baseband automatically. No need for manual install of update.zip, etc.

No idea if you're rooted or not, assuming you're not.

bhall238

Reaction score
True. Not rooted. This thread and others about 2.2 sure are making me anxious though. I showed another guy at work more savvy than me (another Droid owner) some of the threads and if he had felt comfortable enough to do his phone I would have let him do mine too but he backed off.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I had to go back to the one that ended with .00R. That one gave me better 3G download speeds and it tries to connect to 3G at my desk. My desk gets 1x barely. The .00R one seems to hold 3G steady too.

This newer one seems like the one we had before .00R

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I seriously suggest ppl try speed tests and try to use your phone where u didnt have good service before to get a feel for which baseband is better for u.

I have a feeling Imma have to choose between better speeds and reception vs. better battery life. I hope not.