Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
It's rare for something like that to come on suddenly. Maybe the cause was environmental? Probably a stupid question, but did you reboot the phone after it started causing you problems?

If the problem continues to persist you can flash an older baseband in to see if that clears up the issue.

lilhill

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure which ROM I'm running but I'm pretty sure it's FRF57 (it came from this site - Download: Newer Motorola Droid Froyo Leak FRF57 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog). My phone's build number says: voles-userdebug 2.2 FRFxx 33333 test-keys.

I'm currently running SetCPU 2.0b (I guess I was running 1.6.0 before, but I'm not sure since I never looked at the build number).

I was thinking that overheating might be the issue too, but while the freezing is happening, the temp being reported by SetCPU (battery temp I believe) is only around 100F. Also, I've gone through the restarting process described above at least 10 times and the issue is consistent. I can run the phone at 900mhz all day long with no issues and I feel that there wouldn't be an overheating issue from me running at 1 or 1.1 ghz when 900mhz works fine. Could be though, I guess.

First off, thanks for letting me know SetCPU is up to 2.0b. I was still running 1.6.0. I get mine free (and legally) but I have to do manual updates as a result and I hadn't checked in a few days.

Okay, have you read Overclocking 101 by Skull One? If not, take a look, it tells you a lot.

Secondly, you're running the vanilla FRF57 FroYo RC? I thought I was the only one left (though I did Black Glass theme it)!

Without a CPU temperature monitor we really don't know what's going on inside our phones. Battery temperatures tend to be more stable (on both ends) than the CPU temperature, so you could be spiking insanely high really quickly and you wouldn't know till it hits your battery, though the issues you're having sound very much like an overheating CPU.

Since you can only push the phone to 1Ghz right now, I'd suggest you try a higher-clocked kernel, push it to 900 or 1000 mhz for now, let the phone charge overnight (so it can cool off) and try pushing it higher and see if you have the same issue and if it's an instant thing or not. If it still happens instantly there's an issue with your hardware not handling the increased speeds under 2.2 (I think it might be a JIT issue), if it takes a moment it's heat. If it doesn't happen at all, it's heat.

If you don't want to put up with the crap, just run it at 900 and be grateful you're not stuck with one of the ones that can only run 600, 700, or 800mhz kernels! :)

Of course, someone else might know more than I do and have other suggestions, but that's my opinion.

Oh, and ChevyNo1's ULV kernel, if it works for you, will generate the least amount of heat and use the least amount of juice, so if you're stuck at 1Ghz, you might as well run 1Ghz as long as possible, right?

Thanks for your input! I'm not sure that I got Set CPU illegally - I updated from 1.6.0 right on the market (I do have the market fix).

I am currently using ChevyNo1's ulv1.25ghz kernel and can't get past 900mhz and also have the same issue with multiple other kernels of different voltages (I've tried all of Chevy's voltage options).

At one point I was running at 1.2ghz no problem (at the end of the day at that), so I'm not sure what happened - this leads me to believe that it might not be a hardware issue. I'm definitely greatfull that I can at least get to 900mhz. I'm not sure I need to go faster, but I would like to figure out what's going on!

I'm going to bed now, but will try pushing it in the morning when everything has cooled off and report back.

Thanks again!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you got SetCPU on the market it's legal. I was just making sure nobody thought I was warezing their favorite program. :)

From what you've said it sounds like temperature is the most likely culprit here. I had issues the first time I tried to push past 1.1Ghz on mine because it was a flipping hot day and I'd been wifi tethering for a while so my battery as well as the CPU were both hot to begin with. 1.1 is the upper limit for my phone, heat-wise, and even then if I do heavy browsing I can overheat it. 1.0 is stable and cool all day long, so that's where I leave it.

Oh, and make sure you're not running on performance mode all the time. If you're having any kind of heat issue to begin with that'll make it ten times worse.

I'm not sure I like the new SetCPU, but I'll admit it gives the user a lot more control.

Let us know how it behaves tomorrow once it's had a chance to really cool off.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you got SetCPU on the market it's legal. I was just making sure nobody thought I was warezing their favorite program. :)

From what you've said it sounds like temperature is the most likely culprit here. I had issues the first time I tried to push past 1.1Ghz on mine because it was a flipping hot day and I'd been wifi tethering for a while so my battery as well as the CPU were both hot to begin with. 1.1 is the upper limit for my phone, heat-wise, and even then if I do heavy browsing I can overheat it. 1.0 is stable and cool all day long, so that's where I leave it.

Oh, and make sure you're not running on performance mode all the time. If you're having any kind of heat issue to begin with that'll make it ten times worse.

I'm not sure I like the new SetCPU, but I'll admit it gives the user a lot more control.

Could you explain how it gives the user more control? I see it as giving the user less control, specially with battery. Am I missing something?

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
HI

Could you explain how it gives the user more control? I see it as giving the user less control, specially with battery. Am I missing something?
it's the same as the old set cpu just looks different. You can still add in all you're profiles (battery and all the other profiles in the old version) and add in more if you see fit. You're no longer limited to the number of profiles the dev put.

Sent from my Tapatalk using Droid

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
HI

it's the same as the old set cpu just looks different. You can still add in all you're profiles (battery and all the other profiles in the old version) and add in more if you see fit. You're no longer limited to the number of profiles the dev put.

Sent from my Tapatalk using Droid

Agree, this new version is way more customizable.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

Assigning your own priorities to each profile and having as many profiles as you want is pretty controllable. Having the ability to have more than three battery profiles is probably the biggest addition, but I don't see the need for more than three battery profiles in the first place. Then again, I'm really lucky to have one of the phones that only reports battery life in 10% increments (note the sarcasm on lucky.) I found it a pain to set up, especially when I saw the fact that there were three different charging options for the profiles.

I'm sure some of the control freaks needed new shorts after getting the update, though. :)

Without the option of a conservative- or powersave-based profile I still don't see how this is really all that advantageous to the end-user who is interested in extending battery life while still having the option of ramping their phone up to max speed if it's needed. Frankly, I'd rather have seen those options added back in, but I already voiced my opinion on the extra battery profiles.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Without the option of a conservative- or powersave-based profile I still don't see how this is really all that advantageous to the end-user who is interested in extending battery life while still having the option of ramping their phone up to max speed if it's needed. Frankly, I'd rather have seen those options added back in, but I already voiced my opinion on the extra battery profiles.

CPU frequency scaling governors are a function of your kernel, not of SetCPU. If conservative is missing, that is a result of it not being included in the kernel config - so I recommend trying a different kernel.

powersave and performance are worthless on mobile devices. They just force your processor to run at the slowest and fastest speeds (which for a droid kernel is typically something like 250 Mhz and 1 Ghz). Running at 250Mhz all the time with no ability to ramp up would probably end up making your phone unresponsive, and running at 1.0Ghz with no ability to scale down would probably make it overheat.

conservative and ondemand, however, are very useful, and I would like to urge anyone that makes and releases a kernel to include both of them.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
powersave and performance are worthless on mobile devices. They just force your processor to run at the slowest and fastest speeds (which for a droid kernel is typically something like 250 Mhz and 1 Ghz). Running at 250Mhz all the time with no ability to ramp up would probably end up making your phone unresponsive, and running at 1.0Ghz with no ability to scale down would probably make it overheat.

conservative and ondemand, however, are very useful, and I would like to urge anyone that makes and releases a kernel to include both of them.

I agree with performance being useless except for trying to get the highest Quadrant score possible, but some people run it 24/7 for some reason. Then again, some people think a Viper is a good commuter car. I beg to differ from your observation in that powersave ramped up for me under 2.1 using ChevyNo1's ULV kernels, it just did it much more conservatively.

Speaking of ChevyNo1's kernels, I'm running his 1.0Ghz ULV kernel under FRF57. I thought when SetCPU moved up to 1.6.0 those options were removed, not that ChevyNo1 removed them from his FroYo kernels.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I beg to differ from your observation in that powersave ramped up for me under 2.1 using ChevyNo1's ULV kernels, it just did it much more conservatively.

Sounds like your governor wasn't working correctly or got reset to something else inadvertently:

Linux Kernel Documentation :: cpu-freq : governors.txt

The CPUfreq governor "powersave" sets the CPU statically to the lowest frequency within the borders of scaling_min_freq and scaling_max_freq.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I see what you mean. Maybe under heavy demand the CPU can ramp up anyway, no matter what it says? Doesn't matter right now because without it included it's a moot point. :)

I wonder why ChevyNo1 wouldn't include Conservative in his ULV kernels... I think I'll go ask or see if it's an issue with FRF57 like the CPU temperature monitoring.

MdicnMan

Reaction score
Froyo Native Email App - Select All?

I haven't gotten to getting a 2.2 build loaded but will definitely be pushed to do it if someone can tell me if the 'select all' or 'delete all' or at least 'empty trash' option has been added to the native email client?

I shake my head everytime I go in to an email folder and see the menu option of "Delselect All" when any emails are checked off. Deselect All? Really? but no 'Select All'?

JJ