Leak Updates

TheCrusher

Reaction score
So, sure, you can change the the public keys in the OTA flashable list, but if they aren't signed by a key in the burned in list, it would be ignored.

Well, that's the crux of the biscuit. If there is some key or keys that are "burned in", or in ROM, then they have us over a barrel. That's be a risky choice, because if the keys got out, there's no fixing that. But if everything is stored in writable memory, it doesn't matter how many signatures or hashes they use on top of each other, it's just so many bags inside of other bags. We'd just unbag it all and fix it. Tedious yes, but entirely feasible.

Then also there's this that says that Apple might remotely brick people's phones (probably a load of crap):
Apple Plans To Remotely Kill Your iPhone If It's Jailbroken - Techland - TIME.com - StumbleUpon

It leaves me confused - if I buy a phone, don't I own it? If ANYBODY else destroys it, isn't that what's known as a crime? They can license their software all they want, but if they start smashing my physical stuff, can't we just throw them in jail?

lilliboss

Reaction score
So, sure, you can change the the public keys in the OTA flashable list, but if they aren't signed by a key in the burned in list, it would be ignored.

Well, that's the crux of the biscuit. If there is some key or keys that are "burned in", or in ROM, then they have us over a barrel. That's be a risky choice, because if the keys got out, there's no fixing that. But if everything is stored in writable memory, it doesn't matter how many signatures or hashes they use on top of each other, it's just so many bags inside of other bags. We'd just unbag it all and fix it. Tedious yes, but entirely feasible.

Then also there's this that says that Apple might remotely brick people's phones (probably a load of crap):

- TIME.com - StumbleUpon

It leaves me confused - if I buy a phone, don't I own it? If ANYBODY else destroys it, isn't that what's known as a crime? They can license their software all they want, but if they start smashing my physical stuff, can't we just throw them in jail?

Apple Plans To Remotely Kill Your iPhone If It's Jailbroken - Techland

I'm not sure that this will relav you a little but I rooted the DROID after the OTA update to RGB01B with no problems usind Easy Root.
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2m1ov...otely-kill-your-iphone-if-its-jailbroken//r:t

wsbsteven

Reaction score

tehpriest

Reaction score
All this talk about breaking the locked bootloader is masking the central fact here. Ladies and Gentlemen. Android IS NOT Motorola's operating system. This is not Symbian or W7 here. It is an Open Source OS and is governed by the GPL GNU which Motorola have conveniently found a loophole in. When the new one is enforced for Android 3 (so I am lead to understand) then they will not be able to do this.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
All this talk about breaking the locked bootloader is masking the central fact here. Ladies and Gentlemen. Android IS NOT Motorola's operating system. This is not Symbian or W7 here. It is an Open Source OS and is governed by the GPL GNU which Motorola have conveniently found a loophole in. When the new one is enforced for Android 3 (so I am lead to understand) then they will not be able to do this.
That would be great, but the fact is everyone has to be willing to play fair, and if all the carriers cry foul Android will be as dead as Elvis.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Android's linux kernel is GPL, but the userspace Apache license. The difference? the apache license allows commercial and proprietary development and restriction. so as much as everyone wants motorola to be wrong, they have every right under the android open source apache license to lock down, restrict or modify the OS without having to contribute to development of android or the android community. locked software, bootloaders, and commercial and proprietary development is not only allowed by apache but also encouraged.

i guess the theme of the story is that the droid x is never going to have a true custom theme haha

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Android's linux kernel is GPL, but the userspace Apache license. The difference? the apache license allows commercial and proprietary development and restriction. so as much as everyone wants motorola to be wrong, they have every right under the android open source apache license to lock down, restrict or modify the OS without having to contribute to development of android or the android community. locked software, bootloaders, and commercial and proprietary development is not only allowed by apache but also encouraged.

i guess the theme of the story is that the droid x is never going to have a true custom theme haha
Never say never! :D

But you're probably right.

infinity8x3

Reaction score
LOL so I guess this is the first time ever stock droid users are going to get an updated OS before us rooted users.

Oh well. I'm just looking forward to a stock rooted frg22d rom.