Is your droid laggy often like mine?

Reaction score
I want to like the droid... I really do. But unless I have a defective unit, it is really annoyingly laggy much of the time. Most notable times it lags are....

* Pulling down the notifications bar when it has notifications in it... chop chop chop
* From the home screen, dragging up the menu from the bottom, usually doesnt respond immediately, and is choppy when scrolling through apps.
* Surfing the web, and loading any complex site, such as amazon's full site (not mobile version)... when you scroll it is not smooth at ALL. Text input also is laggy in this scenario.

I am coming from being very used to my ipod touch, which is always smooth while scrolling, surfing, or doing just about anything else. I was hoping that the droid would be just as smooth, but it is really disappointing me right now. Please post and tell me if you experience the same with your droid, or if maybe I just got a bad one? If not I may have to just return this thing and wait for droid 2 or something when they can throw some faster hardware at the android OS and make it adequately responsive to the touch without lagging.

OP
freakintoddles
Reaction score
You guessed wrong bud, it was like this from day one, and does not get worse or better when I open or close apps. So, if you go to amazon.com, then choose the option at the bottom to load the full site, it just opens and you can scroll around smoothly? No chop at all?

ChrisK15

Reaction score
I get lag too. I think the problem with the browser is that it renders the entire page at once, rather than rendering only a small bit at a time like the iPod. You also have to remember that the Droid's resolution is almost 2.5x the iPod's, but I agree that they definitely need to fix it up a bit to make it less laggy.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Choppy when scrolling through the apps? Give me a break. You said you had nothing else really installed. Odd how you would be noticing lag by "scrolling through" the apps..it's not like you have 100 apps installed. There's like 1 1/2 flicks to go through the entire app section if you have nothing installed.

Just for the record I tested Amazon.com and searched for Droid. There was no lag. Also, the site even when going to Amazon.com is a semi-mobile site to begin with and there is absolutely no lag. Maybe its your connection.

OP
freakintoddles
Reaction score
Choppy when scrolling through the apps? Give me a break. You said you had nothing else really installed. Odd how you would be noticing lag by "scrolling through" the apps..it's not like you have 100 apps installed. There's like 1 1/2 flicks to go through the entire app section if you have nothing installed.

Just for the record I tested Amazon.com and searched for Droid. There was no lag. Also, the site even when going to Amazon.com is a semi-mobile site to begin with and there is absolutely no lag. Maybe its your connection.

I dont get lag on Amazon's mobile site, but loading the full non mobile site definitely causes lag. Also I didnt say I didn't have nothing else installed, I just said it'd been slightly laggy since day one. I probably have 12 or so extra apps installed, but they aren't running or anything...

Even on the home screen, if you flick left to right to view your home screens, do you get no lag at all?? It is nice and smooth?? Mine is OK at best, but definitely not smooth. I'm going to have to go into the VZW store friday and see another droid for comparison. I orderd this one from their website so i've never seen another one to gauge the choppiness against.

Retribution

Reaction score
The only lag I experience is caused by apps I have installed on the phone, which appkiller quickly fixed. Other then that my phone is for responsive. I love my phone.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
This relates to the magical thread about not needing a task killer. CK and his goons have convinced a bunch of people that it isn't needed, but an app like ATK or taskpanel that auto closes apps in the background really does make a difference. It is no coincidence that wehn my droid is running slow, the available memory is low, but when i free it up it speeds up.

There is no black magic involved. I don't care what person you talk to who knows oh so much about linux, this is easily supported by evidence. I don't care what anyone says. A task killer application will do wonders for keeping your droid snappy without battery pulls/power cycles.

LordKastle

Reaction score
You do realize when you scroll left or right on the homescreen or pull up the menu/apps or notification drop down that its supposed to scroll over (fluidly not choppy)? It's not meant to just appear but to scroll up or down, left or right.

Medic..his "lag" has nothing to do with application installations.

I don't know what to tell you..I loaded Amazon.com "PC Site" and when the page loads i go up and down with fluidness.

Last edited:

Huma

Reaction score
Tested out the amazon full homepage and it scrolls smoothly for me. I also have about 30 or so apps installed on my phone. Pulling the notification bar down has a small delay when I first grab it but it scrolls up and down smoothly for me.

darreno1

Reaction score
What you're referring to as 'lag' is not really lag in the traditional sense. You're talking about the overall smoothness of the animations like when scrolling left or right on the home page. That's more cosmetic than actual lag. If you notice, when you click to open an app, the fading in of the app is actually very smooth and it opens lightening quick. Now if I had to wait a few seconds after clicking an icon, I'd consider that lag. My Palm Pre lagged. My droid does not.

The choppiness experienced both on the home page and web browser is probably a design choice by the coders. They probably decided to forgo the code involved in making the left-right / web page scrolling animation smoother. They figured (and rightly so) the end result is the same whether it's smooth or not, which is what really matters.

However I believe smoother animations are more aesthetically pleasing and makes it easier to keep track when scrolling. With enough complaints they may decide to smooth out some of the UI animations as well as the browser.

OP
freakintoddles
Reaction score
OK i must have a defective unit then. I use an app killer already, and it says that I have 96mb free most of the time. I will compare at the the store and hopefully its just my phone.

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
This relates to the magical thread about not needing a task killer. CK and his goons have convinced a bunch of people that it isn't needed, but an app like ATK or taskpanel that auto closes apps in the background really does make a difference. It is no coincidence that wehn my droid is running slow, the available memory is low, but when i free it up it speeds up.

There is no black magic involved. I don't care what person you talk to who knows oh so much about linux, this is easily supported by evidence. I don't care what anyone says. A task killer application will do wonders for keeping your droid snappy without battery pulls/power cycles.

Agree with you 100%. I tried not using that app because what I had read. After a few days the phone was just dead slow.

Fired up advanced task killer, let it do it's thing. And bam! Instantly faster.

n0cturne74

Reaction score
I haven't had too many lag issues and agree that Advanced Task Killer does speed up the overall performance of the OS.