Still annoyed by the choppy scrolling performance

wutasi

Reaction score
Did you forget the resolution differences between Droid and Iphone?
That's 854x480 vs. 320x480 which means Droid will have to render more than 2x of Iphone.

However, the browsing experience prior to the 2.01 update was much more pleasant, we can only hope 2.1 would take it back to that state if not better.
I doubt Droid will ever be so responsive/fluid like Iphone though.

FoFa

Reaction score
Humm, mine has never been choppy, even after the update.
I so like the way the Droid scrolls over the iPhone, or my old WinMob POS.
I specially like the way you can put it high gear, than stop with just a touch.
Nice for scrolling those long lists.

frbooker87

Reaction score
Maybe I really don't pay attention but my web experience is pretty good. Sometimes there's lag here and there but I'm a little more forgiving I guess :). The home never lags though.

frbooker87

Reaction score
Lol actually now that I really pay attention there is a lot of choppyness...if that's a word...but I can live with it.

mrschmitz

Reaction score
The reason is the iPhone (and possibly Pre?) uses OpenGL to render the UI, which utilizes the GPU and leaves the CPU for the other tasks.

If the Droid/Nexus One utilized OpenGL and their repective GPUs for the UI, it would be nice and smooth all the time, too. In time I suspect that will be the case. This would be a software update. Unfortunately, it is not coming in 2.1, except for the new image gallery and Google Earth, that I know of right now.

mjs31

Reaction score
most of the time my scrolling in a browser is fluid. However, the more I zoom out the choppier it is. I hope this is fixed in 2.1 or whatever the next update should be.

This is what I am seeing. I would say about 80/20 in favor of smooth scrolling for me, but it does seem to have changed a little bit, for the worse, since 2.0.1. This may just be a coincidence though.

Man I laugh at myself... Here I am whining about a little bit of choppy lag on my cell phone as I surf the net. I remember being excited getting the flip phone in 1997 and thinking I was so cool. That thing was huge and only made calls.

bots

Reaction score
Yeah there is a ton of lag after the 2.01 update. I noticed it immediately after updating. It really is annoying. Pre-2.01 was amazingly smooth. Now I'm embarrassed to show a Iphone fanboi the browser on my droid. I'm running 2.01 with the multitouch browser and it does run a little better than normal 2.01, but it is still nowhere near as fast as it was pre-2.01.

I believe the issue has to do with some of the droids libraries being updated, because choppiness happens in all browsers (I.E. dolphin), not only the stock browser. I remember before the update when you went to scroll around, the anti-aliasing would drop out, and after you come to a rest it would immediately anti-alias the webpage. Now it seems like the webpage is anti-aliased all the time, which I figure is what is causing the stuttering. When only browsing text parts of a page it's fine but as soon as you scroll onto an image or an input box it slows to a crawl. Anyways, the best thing we can all do for now is to visit the issue page:

Issue 5286 - android - Browser lags when scrolling after 2.0.1 Update on Motorola DROID - Project Hosting on Google Code

...and star it to let google know that we want this fixed. Also with the multitouch browser being released, and the android 2.1 source being released soon, I don't think it will be long before this is fixed. Be it by Google or by some independent developer.

OP
K

kenkamm

Reaction score
The reason is the iPhone (and possibly Pre?) uses OpenGL to render the UI, which utilizes the GPU and leaves the CPU for the other tasks.

If the Droid/Nexus One utilized OpenGL and their repective GPUs for the UI, it would be nice and smooth all the time, too. In time I suspect that will be the case. This would be a software update. Unfortunately, it is not coming in 2.1, except for the new image gallery and Google Earth, that I know of right now.

This is interesting, but the fact that the problem didn't exist before 2.0.0 means that OpenGL and the use of the GPU shouldn't be necessary to remedy this issue.

iPirate

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the videos I have seen the iPhone scrolls LESS per scroll, while the Droid scrolls a lot of pages very fast. This might be making it more choppy?

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm still using 2.0.0. When I compared 2.0.1 an 2.0.0, the later was smoother. So I haven't updated. If they would utized the GPU this would solve the lag issue.

bgdave

Reaction score
+1 to this thread. Very annoying and not present until OTA update to 2.0.1

OP
K

kenkamm

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the videos I have seen the iPhone scrolls LESS per scroll, while the Droid scrolls a lot of pages very fast. This might be making it more choppy?
Unfortunately, no. The choppiness or skipping happens at even low scroll speed, albeit not quite as bad.

OP
K

kenkamm

Reaction score
Just a reminder to everyone, click the link in the first post and "star" the item. The more this problem is recognized the better our chances of getting a fix.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder to everyone, click the link in the first post and "star" the item. The more this problem is recognized the better our chances of getting a fix.

While it certainly doesn't hurt to discuss this issue I don't think starring the thread is going to increase chances of getting a fix. I find it hard to believe I'm the only one who doesnt find it site specific.

crspang

Reaction score
Ive noticed a little choppy browsing but it doesn't bother me, the resolutuion difference makes up for it. I'm glad I've never owned an iPhone so I don't have to constantly compare the two.