I'm NOT crazy afterall!

Zodduska

Reaction score
The Droid is much higher resolution than the Eris (2.6x) = More load on the cpu.

fishepa

Reaction score
I love how people are arguing despite the fact everyone pretty much agrees with each other :D. Yes 2.0 is new, so yes it's not 100% refined yet, so yes, the OP is likely correct that the jerkiness issue is a software issue. To me, it doesn't effect usability per se - it just somewhat diminishes the "wow factor" of the phone - in short, jerkiness makes it look slightly "shoddy" when compared to say the iPhone's transitions.

Well said, I agree 100%

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Isn't the Droid pushing around a lot more pixels than the Eris or the iPhone? A lower resolution screen is going to be more responsive given similar processors. That said, the Android 2.0 is pretty new, I don't have much doubt that software tweeks by Google will only improve this in the coming months.

I've never played with the Eris and kinda glad I haven't. Considering I used to use the Verizon OS (now that was crap!) on a dumb phone, I'm greatly pleased in the responsiveness of the Droid. It's only going to get better and better. This device has huge potential.

Eris = 153,600 pixels
Droid = 408,960 pixels

The Droid also uses a completely different CPU/GPU combo; so i'd assume the drivers are comparitively early. The Droid does VERY well considering it is the first Cortex A8/SGX 530/Android 2.0 device on the market. Anyone expecting more probably should stick to buying devices that have had time on the market to mature.

And for people making comparisons to the iPhone, keep in mind that the iPhone is very limited as far as UI customization. It's easier to move a consistent grid of icons around.

Silverwing

Reaction score
So the theory is, the Droid's screen is just too good, and it overwhelms our little buddy and causes it to lag? Now we just need an app that can lower the resolution on some things, without making it look like trash - but keeping the resolution up where its necessary and nice to have. Or better yet, let everyone adjust their resolution, and let them run things how they want.

Silver Member
Reaction score
So the theory is, the Droid's screen is just too good, and it overwhelms our little buddy and causes it to lag? Now we just need an app that can lower the resolution on some things, without making it look like trash - but keeping the resolution up where its necessary and nice to have. Or better yet, let everyone adjust their resolution, and let them run things how they want.
impossible. native resolution is native resolution. no matter what resolution you're look at, it'll always be displayed in its native resolution.

fwiw, i downloaded robo defense. i've yet to see it stutter, skip frames, or have any issues, whatsoever.

imaROBOT

Reaction score
Honestly there is a slight lag to the phone when flipping between home screens/bringing up the meu/pulling down notifications. When I stop apps from running in the back round it seems to help somwhat.. Now this could just be placebo because since stopping apps running i'm assuming it's faster now.

Im going to be taking my phone back due to other reasons so I'll see whats its like right out of the box again, but I remember it still lagging slightly right out of the box.

liltenou

Reaction score
Just being realistic

No, you're not crazy. As much as I love this device, I'm very disappointed with scrolling, both across home screens and in web pages. I'm also hoping that the update fixes it, but I'm not holding my breath. At the latest, once the Droid is rooted, devs should be able to make some smoother roms, or at the very least, a port of a SenseUI ROM should do the trick. But seriously, if people think scrolling is as smooth as on the Eris or, dare I say it, the iPhone, they're kidding themselves.

I totally agree, I was once a iphone user who jump ship to join the VZW droid bandwagon and I will admit, I am a bit disappointed by the how jerky moving from screen to screen is and how choppy game play is on many games. And I did notice the lag in RoboDefense (thanks for confirming my suspicions, that was bugging me out). The droid is still growing into its skin so I know (hope) the problems will be addressed in the near future. One problem I know they can’t fix for me is how unreliable the battery cover is. Is a replaceable battery really worth it if it can't keep the damn cover on properly? Other than that, I totally love my phone. :icon_ banana:

bots

Reaction score
I did a hard reset the other day just to see if my droid would lag unaltered. It lagged when going from home to home, and especially when scrolling through the app dock. In fact, I believe the app dock lagged more in "new phone mode" than it did after installing a home screen app. I browsed through the letter from verizon regarding the Dec. 11th OTA update and saw no mention of the unresponsive interface being addressed. This is probably either a driver issue, or a coding mistake in 2.0. Something just isn't jiving with the new hardware being used. I'm positive that this phone will handle these actions without any tearing/lag whatsoever. This problem will be resolved, whether it's resolved by VZW, Google, or Joe-Schmo droid user is a different question. First and foremost, I believe we should be working on getting root access on this device. This will instantly put the "keys" of development into the hands of hundreds of thousands more people, therefore speeding up the development process of this device immensely, and removing the need to wait on VZW or Google for fixes to our problems.

OP
freakintoddles
Reaction score
the thing I dont get about rooting the device, is that I feel like they (vzw, moto, google) dont NOT want us to root it, but they aren't going to help at all. Why doesnt motorola just put up a guide to rooting the phone and save people the trouble.

bots

Reaction score
Most service providers do not want us to have root access to our devices, for the simple fact that people would be bricking their devices all over the place trying to install iphone themes and miley cyrus widgets and whatever. This means more money is needed in areas like tech support and shipping and handling for the provider to cater to people muxing things up. I've heard rumors that Verizon is a lot less worried about people getting root than other carriers, possibly because they are better prepared for the inevitable. They are also a lot less worried about branding the phone with a bunch of verizon apps and pre-installed crap. It seems that they have taken into account the open nature of android and embraced it. If this is true, I give verizon a big thumbs-up for giving open-sourced technology a shot at thriving.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
From reading the posts, I truly believe this will turn out to be a 2.0 issue. For the most part it seems people have varying degrees of success in replacing a default app.

I have to caveat that by saying this is my first touchscreen phone, and first smartphone, so I don't have a reference frame to the lag or chop that some are experiencing. I haven't noticed a lag myself, which means either I got lucky and perhaps have not altered the phone in a way to affect it, or I just don't have anything in my experience to relate it to.

Either way, I'm excited about my new toy, I love it to death, and think I made the wise choice moving to it.

Look at what this thing can do already? :)

Minor bumps up and down not withstanding, it can ONLY get better IMO.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
From reading the posts, I truly believe this will turn out to be a 2.0 issue. For the most part it seems people have varying degrees of success in replacing a default app.

I have to caveat that by saying this is my first touchscreen phone, and first smartphone, so I don't have a reference frame to the lag or chop that some are experiencing. I haven't noticed a lag myself, which means either I got lucky and perhaps have not altered the phone in a way to affect it, or I just don't have anything in my experience to relate it to.

The lag people are referring to honestly isn't that noticible unless you are used to something like the iPhone 3GS and are actually looking for it. If you want to see real lag, try a BlackBerry Storm, especially running an older OS. The Droid is quite smooth for being the first 2.0 device on the market.

Sleeve

Reaction score
What I've noticed is that there seems to be some sort of canned half second scroll spin down. During this time, when the scrolling is coming to a stop, the screen is not responsive to scrolls. This matches the behavior shown in the video.

Tekmazter

Reaction score
I don't think the OP is crazy at all. However ...

The lag in the UI on the home screens and app tab was known about BEFORE the phone was released. There are numerous reviews citing that there is little or no lag. This says to me that it's not perfect and you can expect something other than perfect smoothness.

Anyone who just blindly spends $$$ after doing walk thru with a demo phone at the store is not helping themselves either.

If you read the reviews about the phone before you bought it, I'm not sure you would have posted this thread at all. That or at least it would be titled something more like

Will lag in UI be updated / fixed?

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
LAG? where do I find this lag? My phone isn't cool enough to have it :)