How Smooth is your Droid?

Krish

Reaction score
:motdroidvert:
I been playing around with droid, htc eris, and htc hero. Noticed that the HTC phones seem alot more smooth when it comes to using programs not just the homescreen

Example: Using maverick app or Compass on droid while the compass moves around moves it moves sort of smooth even when the refresh rate is fixed. When the same app used on htc hero + eris its alot more smooth and fluid. The htc phones lag more when it comes to opening and closing programs but when actually in the apps, the refresh rates make it look so smooth and fun to use. I thought the Htc phones had slower cpu's/gpu's not sure whats needed for the refresh rate.

Im don't think its just my droid because my cousins is the same. I have the phone OCed to 1ghz bugless beast 7.5 the homescreen has gotten more smooth but programs are not smooth at all, their choppy. Does anyone else have this issue? or a fix around this. It makes the phone less appealing compared to the htc phones. I don't mean to make the droid look bad because i love it and the phone is getting better but i want it to work more fluid. Was hoping that the OC would help it.

CatsTide

Reaction score
I been playing around with droid, htc eris, and htc hero. Noticed that the HTC phones seem alot more smooth when it comes to using programs not just the homescreen

Example: Using maverick app or Compass on droid while the compass moves around moves it moves sort of smooth even when the refresh rate is fixed. When the same app used on htc hero + eris its alot more smooth and fluid. The htc phones lag more when it comes to opening and closing programs but when actually in the apps, the refresh rates make it look so smooth and fun to use. I thought the Htc phones had slower cpu's/gpu's not sure whats needed for the refresh rate.

Im don't think its just my droid because my cousins is the same. I have the phone OCed to 1ghz bugless beast 7.5 the homescreen has gotten more smooth but programs are not smooth at all, their choppy. Does anyone else have this issue? or a fix around this. It makes the phone less appealing compared to the htc phones. I don't mean to make the droid look bad because i love it and the phone is getting better but i want it to work more fluid. Was hoping that the OC would help it.
mine seems to be quite smooth although i haven't compared it to the other phones you mentioned.
Try setting the min cpu speed to 250.... see if that helps.
how would that help?....i'm just trying to learn. i had my min set to 800

R1Lover

Reaction score
The stock or default min is 125, so upping it to 250 will produce a little more spunk when the phone has been sitting at idle.

I have noticed it does perform better with a min of 250 on mine.

Having it at 800 min is fine too, as long as you are not having battery issues.

OP
K

Krish

Reaction score
I'v tested the Setcpu to change min and max to 1gz and other settings down but same no go still slow.

Edit: Also i noticed when u move the map around in google map or maverick or any other map app its choppy on the htc phones but smooth and fluid on droid. Same with working around normal things such as scrolling, opening and closing app drawer all smoother on droid its just the graphics that are choppy.

Last edited:

formerstormuser

Reaction score
Since going to BB my phone has been perfect. I was running 2.1 but it just wasn't quite right . Sweeter home wouldn't run more than an hour our so, then it would FC and freeze all the time. Now I have been running sweeter home and at 1gig and my phone is smoother faster and more responsive than stock. The battery life is also much better than when I was running 2.1

StepDroid

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
maybe you just want the phone to reach speeds it's just not compable of... my phone is smooth like cognac.. especially since i took launcher off.

robotkiller

Reaction score

I've noticed that some home replacement apps (like Home++) are actually smoother than stock when it comes to screen transitions. Also, don't forget that the Droid is pushing a significantly higher resolution than the Eris or iPhone.

It also seems that some kernels are a bit faster than others. I flashed Sholes 2.0.4 with t3hsteve's kernel patch and certain laggy aspects (like the keyboard) is better and the overall speed seems better than ever. I would hold out for improved ROMs - I bet the laggy issues will get better over time.

OP
K

Krish

Reaction score
Im not saying i want it super smooth like iphone :ph34r: wish it was lol x= but i was just wondering since the specs are better than the htc phones shouldnt it be able to do what the HTC phones do plus more? performance wise i mean.

Edit: Reply to robotkiller - yea home++ is def smoother when it comes to homescreen but with the BB OC i like it without any addtional home replacement. Those don't really affect the system performance when it comes to the apps. I tried sholes but it gave me basicly the same performance when it came to those key aspects. I don't believe its such a big deal but was just trying to see if there was a way to make the droid better in those areas.

Last edited:

MrKleen

Reaction score
I am also running Bugless Beast 7.5 and have mine set at 950mhz. It runs flawlessly...... However this was not always the case. After I used my phone for about a month or so and installed and uninstalled lots of apps my phone started to seem slower and had a lag.

The fix for me at the time was a factory reset. After I did the factory reset it was just like brand new again. When I run it factory I turn off all screen animations also which speeds things up. (bugless beast has animations off from the start)

I don't know if this is correct or not, but it sure fixed my lag issues. It's kinda like an old computer that seemed to get slower with time, and when you do a complete reformat and reinstall of the operating system it's like new again.

Since my factory reset my phone has been flawless and fast again. I bet that will help out those that feel their phones have slowed over time.

OP
K

Krish

Reaction score
Well thing is i just installed the BB 7.5 at 1ghz after factory reseting so everything was whiped clean. The animations were turned on after installing.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Bugless Beast is a slow ROM. Try another. I can post a Nandroid of mine if you want to see whats its like to really fly :)