Is your droid laggy often like mine?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I don't understand how most people say the menus don't lag. They do... it's kind of well known. Compare it to the Eris, you will see a huge difference in the transitions and scrolling of menus/notifications.

because some of us really dont have any lag. and im extremely critical on a device... if it has a tiny flaw or hiccup i notice it right away.

mevans

Reaction score
I don't understand how most people say the menus don't lag. They do... it's kind of well known. Compare it to the Eris, you will see a huge difference in the transitions and scrolling of menus/notifications.

because some of us really dont have any lag. and im extremely critical on a device... if it has a tiny flaw or hiccup i notice it right away.

I definitely noticed lag on the task drop-down pre-2.0.1. But overall, even pre-2.0.1 with the exclusion of the task drop-down, the device was much, much faster than the Droid Eris we have here also.

Danthok

Reaction score
My Droid lags sometimes but you know what, I am willing to deal with it just from the fact that it is an amazing device. I feel that for the capabilities a little lag is acceptable. iPhone may be smoother but I still prefer my Droid.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I honest to God have no idea what you're talking about. If my Droid lags I don't notice it. Then again I come from Blackberry so I'm a very happy camper.

mevans

Reaction score

My Droid lags sometimes but you know what, I am willing to deal with it just from the fact that it is an amazing device. I feel that for the capabilities a little lag is acceptable. iPhone may be smoother but I still prefer my Droid.

I also left AT&T and an iPhone for my Droid and I love it. I used a couple hundred MB of average per month with my iPhone, and most of that was Exchange email. I used a whopping 1.2GB last month on my Droid!

nyyfan

Reaction score
i think the touchscreen on the droid definitely has a different feel than the iphone/ipod touch but once you get used to it i think it doesnt really have any lag that i notice. especially after the update...i wonder if the update in jan will make for even better performance?

astokes

Reaction score
Regarding Iphone glass compared to Droid glass, the Droid has gorilla glass and the Iphone doesnt, scratching an Iphone screen is way easier. My Droid at present has no screen protector.

wil318466

Reaction score
I want to like the droid... I really do. But unless I have a defective unit, it is really annoyingly laggy much of the time. Most notable times it lags are....

* Pulling down the notifications bar when it has notifications in it... chop chop chop
* From the home screen, dragging up the menu from the bottom, usually doesnt respond immediately, and is choppy when scrolling through apps.
* Surfing the web, and loading any complex site, such as amazon's full site (not mobile version)... when you scroll it is not smooth at ALL. Text input also is laggy in this scenario.

I am coming from being very used to my ipod touch, which is always smooth while scrolling, surfing, or doing just about anything else. I was hoping that the droid would be just as smooth, but it is really disappointing me right now. Please post and tell me if you experience the same with your droid, or if maybe I just got a bad one? If not I may have to just return this thing and wait for droid 2 or something when they can throw some faster hardware at the android OS and make it adequately responsive to the touch without lagging.

You aren't nuts. The phone lags. It really does. I am kind of a poweruser. I run multiple apps, and constantly switch between them. I have GDE installed. I have tons of apps installed.

The phone lags. I don't know what these other guys are saying, I mean, maybe they have magic Droids and I have a dud, but I agree with you, it lags. Sometimes it just dead stops for a second or two. I've played with people's iPhones and the "smoothness" of the OS is much better than Androids. This is the biggest downfall of the Android OS.

By no means am I bashing Android (I'm a pretty active poster here, look at my # of posts). I love this thing. I can deal with the lag.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Android isn't there yet. Its close, but its not there yet. Is it a Droid issue? Not sure. But the lag IS annoying. As far as apps and functionality goes, the Droid rocks. If the lag issues were fixed, it be hands down perfect for me (even now its almost perfect).

-Wil

wil318466

Reaction score
Oh, and one last thing.. after watching the 2.1 update hacked onto the Droid, the part that interested me THE MOST in that video was the guy saying "I'm pretty amazed at how fast it is".

That part made me really hope the lag issues are fixed. Its the one thing I really want over anything else in 2.1. So, hang in there a few days, and lets see what happens.

-Wil

mjs31

Reaction score
I want to like the droid... I really do. But unless I have a defective unit, it is really annoyingly laggy much of the time. Most notable times it lags are....

* Pulling down the notifications bar when it has notifications in it... chop chop chop
* From the home screen, dragging up the menu from the bottom, usually doesnt respond immediately, and is choppy when scrolling through apps.
* Surfing the web, and loading any complex site, such as amazon's full site (not mobile version)... when you scroll it is not smooth at ALL. Text input also is laggy in this scenario.

I am coming from being very used to my ipod touch, which is always smooth while scrolling, surfing, or doing just about anything else. I was hoping that the droid would be just as smooth, but it is really disappointing me right now. Please post and tell me if you experience the same with your droid, or if maybe I just got a bad one? If not I may have to just return this thing and wait for droid 2 or something when they can throw some faster hardware at the android OS and make it adequately responsive to the touch without lagging.

You aren't nuts. The phone lags. It really does. I am kind of a poweruser. I run multiple apps, and constantly switch between them. I have GDE installed. I have tons of apps installed.

The phone lags. I don't know what these other guys are saying, I mean, maybe they have magic Droids and I have a dud, but I agree with you, it lags. Sometimes it just dead stops for a second or two. I've played with people's iPhones and the "smoothness" of the OS is much better than Androids. This is the biggest downfall of the Android OS.

By no means am I bashing Android (I'm a pretty active poster here, look at my # of posts). I love this thing. I can deal with the lag.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Android isn't there yet. Its close, but its not there yet. Is it a Droid issue? Not sure. But the lag IS annoying. As far as apps and functionality goes, the Droid rocks. If the lag issues were fixed, it be hands down perfect for me (even now its almost perfect).

-Wil

Stops for a second or two? Wow, you do have issues. I run GDE, like you, and do not have these issues. Matter of fact, 49 out of 50 times I could spin my seven screens in one flick, without the slightest hesitation. Drop down never stumbles and the app bar pops right up. Browser does get jittery since 2.0.1
I click on an app and it jumps right up and opens (granted GDE has the new effects now).
Really....in the regular OS I do not see what you are seeing.
Very well may be some app that you are running and I am not or something else, but if I had 1 or two second delays I would be complaining as well.

allison

Reaction score
I think the more Home replacement apps running the slower mine gets :) Tried out a new one (was running GDE) last night and my battery completely died overnight (no difference from any other night - was 90% when I sat it down for the evening) and my phone was running slowly. So, uninstalled the new home and we'll see what happens.

wil318466

Reaction score

-Wil

Stops for a second or two? Wow, you do have issues. I run GDE, like you, and do not have these issues. Matter of fact, 49 out of 50 times I could spin my seven screens in one flick, without the slightest hesitation. Drop down never stumbles and the app bar pops right up. Browser does get jittery since 2.0.1
I click on an app and it jumps right up and opens (granted GDE has the new effects now).
Really....in the regular OS I do not see what you are seeing.
Very well may be some app that you are running and I am not or something else, but if I had 1 or two second delays I would be complaining as well.

Well, like I said it might be the way I'm using it. I tend to move very quickly and not wait for things to "finish". I just keep mashing buttons to get where I want, and the phone does lag sometimes.

Also, like I said, its not a big deal. Its very slight, but its there. Maybe it is an App I have installed.. not sure.

-Wil

wil318466

Reaction score
Actually, for you GDE users, heres a small test. Open up the bottom menu screen to pop up all your apps.

Now, scroll to the very top.

With one flick, scroll to the very bottom. Does it lag? Mine does. I have a few pages of apps, so its a big scroll, but it sure lags when I do it. If I do it slowly its smooth and fast, but if I flick through all my apps at once, its choppy. Anyone else try this?

I even tested this right after a reboot.

Let me know what your results are.

-Wil

cuzzinz

Reaction score
I always have to ask this.... laggy compared to what?...

An iPhone which cant multi-task?

A HTC hero with half the Pixels that need to be rendered compared to a droid?

A motorola e815...lol?

A blackberry... HAHA JK

I will admit that the droid can...studder... but I have never really found it laggy. It is not an optimized phone...and has a long way to go...(we are all beta testers for Google...remember when gmail came out... it took a while for it to get where it is today) The droid is a whole new phone ...with a significantly different OS than even 1.5... alot of changes have been made to the front end and the back end and on different hardware to boot.

Dont worry...the lag will go away... HTC did it with the Hero...so im pretty sure it will happen on the Droid also... its just a matter of time.