GPU not being used enough?

whatiam

Reaction score
The OMAP3430 that the Droid uses has a hella powerful gpu, however apparently the android os doesn't actually use this for very much. The cpu does all the animations I believe, which leads to laggy and sometimes non-existant animations that ruin the smoothness. Another example of this is in the browser, where scrolling is very choppy compared to even the first generation iPhone. Do you think android should be coded in future releases to take advantage of GPUs more?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Won't matter what we think here, it will be what the developers / coders do ...

Sure it would be an advantage.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it would be possible for someone like the Sholes team to have the GPU be utilized more in a future 2.1 ROM.

Maverick0984

Reaction score
I know a bit offtopic, but I have a Droid, and JUST had to put a Cliq on my companies Exchange Server and it was surprisingly quick....ugly, but quick.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I wonder if it would be possible for someone like the Sholes team to have the GPU be utilized more in a future 2.1 ROM.
Along this line of thinking I think that the official 2.1 will run like butter on the Droid because they will utilize the GPU with those animated walls.

The GPU in the Droid has an incredible fill rate. So my best guess is that 2.1 will run flawlessly. We'll soon find out.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Along this line of thinking I think that the official 2.1 will run like butter on the Droid because they will utilize the GPU with those animated walls.

The GPU in the Droid has an incredible fill rate. So my best guess is that 2.1 will run flawlessly. We'll soon find out.

I sure hope so. If that's what is being worked on, I don't care if it takes another month for 2.1 optimized for the Droid to come out.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been saying based upon what has been heard, I wouuld hope 2.1 would be the 22nd, but they only got the source code 2 weeks ago, I don't see how they would have a stable release optimized for the droid in such a short time.

Based upon how they say it could be a couple of months for themilestone, which, essentially is our hardware.

But I agree with CK, should run smoooth!

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been saying based upon what has been heard, I wouuld hope 2.1 would be the 22nd, but they only got the source code 2 weeks ago, I don't see how they would have a stable release optimized for the droid in such a short time.

Based upon how they say it could be a couple of months for themilestone, which, essentially is our hardware.

But I agree with CK, should run smoooth!

The Milestone is way behind the Droid for OS updates, so I wouldn't base it off that.

OP
W

whatiam

Reaction score
Actually with the 2.1 roms floating around the droid is faster but not by very much. The browser is still pretty choppy and some animations do not show sometimes. I'm pretty sure that the eris/hero use gpu acceleration too because that
is the only reason they can be so smooth with the worse hardware they run on.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Actually with the 2.1 roms floating around the droid is faster but not by very much. The browser is still pretty choppy and some animations do not show sometimes. I'm pretty sure that the eris/hero use gpu acceleration too because that
is the only reason they can be so smooth with the worse hardware they run on.

Those ROMS aren't optimized for the Droid. The official release should be much faster than any 2.1 ROM that is floating around right now.