Still annoyed by the choppy scrolling performance

OP
K

kenkamm

Reaction score
While the tests really aren't conclusive it doesn't seem like much of a leap to think that the screen's ability to interpret finger motions could cause what people think of as lag.

Interesting theory, but easily disproved. The lag is present even when the user is not touching the screen.

Easy to demonstrate yourself: Load up droidforums.net. Swipe the page up to scroll with some momentum, and witness the lag even after your finger is lifted.

Another example, perhaps even easier to perform: Simply tap the app drawer button. Lags going up... stutter stutter stutter. Lags going back down... stutter stutter stutter.

This is a refresh rate issue, and has little or nothing to do with the inaccuracy of screen interpretation of finger position.

bots

Reaction score
While the tests really aren't conclusive it doesn't seem like much of a leap to think that the screen's ability to interpret finger motions could cause what people think of as lag.

Interesting theory, but easily disproved. The lag is present even when the user is not touching the screen.

Easy to demonstrate yourself: Load up droidforums.net. Swipe the page up to scroll with some momentum, and witness the lag even after your finger is lifted.

Another example, perhaps even easier to perform: Simply tap the app drawer button. Lags going up... stutter stutter stutter. Lags going back down... stutter stutter stutter.

This is a refresh rate issue, and has little or nothing to do with the inaccuracy of screen interpretation of finger position.

App drawer lag is not related to the browser lag. My app drawer does not lag at all, feels like 60fps. Meanwhile my browser feels like it's getting maybe 15fps. If your app drawer is laggy, you are probably using the nexus 2.1, which was not optimized for the droid's hardware, or you have a rogue app creating the lag.

OP
K

kenkamm

Reaction score
I'm not using the nexus 2.1 and I have very few apps installed. Additionally I noticed this lag on the home screen, browser, and app drawer the day I got the droid, before installing anything.

How does one identify a rogue app?

Last edited:
OP
K

kenkamm

Reaction score
App drawer lag is not related to the browser lag. My app drawer does not lag at all, feels like 60fps. Meanwhile my browser feels like it's getting maybe 15fps.
I think it's a stretch to say that the drawer lag isn't related to the browser lag. Just because your app drawer works smoothly and your browser doesn't, doesn't mean the two aren't caused by the same mechanism. That said, who cares, right? :) It's still annoying and should be fixed.

Once again I invite everyone to star this topic here, and comment if you would.

Issue 5286 - android - Browser lags when scrolling after 2.0.1 Update on Motorola DROID - Project Hosting on Google Code

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hopefully Google has addressed this in 2.1 update. There was no browser lag prior to 2.0.1. So it's something in the OS, which means they can fix it.... and hopefully they did :)
The choppy-ness in the broswer is my only real complaint with the Droid as of now, especially because it wasn't there before.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hopefully Google has addressed this in 2.1 update. There was no browser lag prior to 2.0.1. So it's something in the OS, which means they can fix it.... and hopefully they did :)
The choppy-ness in the broswer is my only real complaint with the Droid as of now, especially because it wasn't there before.

As others have pointed out video of 2.1 seems to indicate it is fixed. I've gotten use to it now so I don't even find it annoying. I think the big deal is iPhone doesn't have that and everyone wants this phone to work better or as good as the iPhone. If they don't fix it this time, maybe next update. No big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

As others have pointed out video of 2.1 seems to indicate it is fixed. I've gotten use to it now so I don't even find it annoying. I think the big deal is iPhone doesn't have that and everyone wants this phone to work better or as good as the iPhone. If they don't fix it this time, maybe next update. No big deal as far as I'm concerned.
If the Droid only did one thing at a time it would be just as smooth as the iPhone... given you allow the Droid 3 years of development to make a truly fair comparison :)

authority11

Reaction score

If the Droid only did one thing at a time it would be just as smooth as the iPhone... given you allow the Droid 3 years of development to make a truly fair comparison :)

The browser lagginess has nothing to do with the droid multitasking while browsing. They just screwed up the code (anti-aliasing rendering code) in 2.0.1.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

The browser lagginess has nothing to do with the droid multitasking while browsing. They just screwed up the code (anti-aliasing rendering code) in 2.0.1.
I know... I stated that the post before :) Was just picking on the iPhone. Forgive me? :icon_ devil:

OP
K

kenkamm

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I just did a full format of my SD card, and a complete hard reset of the phone. I unchecked the “backup data” option, so after the reset, the phone is exactly as received out of the box. I wanted to be sure I didn’t have some app causing lag.

Well, the app drawer does slide up and down smoother now, which is not a surprise to me because there are fewer icons to display in there now. That said, it’s still not butter smooth.

The very next thing I did was load up this thread on the stock browser. The lag is still there in all its glory.

So, none of my apps, widgets, or anything else made any difference.

My recommendation to others who are considering doing a reset to see if it will improve things: Don’t bother.

rjpower

Reaction score
Yes, the scrolling operations on the Droid 2 Global really blow. Mine is worse than most because I have a large contact address book. Getting to the "Voice Command" prompt sometimes requires 10 seconds -- a real nuisance if you're driving.

My theory on why this happens is that Google's open-source model for software development is like the Wild West, without many design rules. Apple's operating systems in general (MAC, iPhone) are very smooth in operation at a very low level. If they ever do get multitasking, it will most likely be smooth to the user. That's one of the advantages to having a closed-source software model.

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
Yes, the scrolling operations on the Droid 2 Global really blow. Mine is worse than most because I have a large contact address book. Getting to the "Voice Command" prompt sometimes requires 10 seconds -- a real nuisance if you're driving.

My theory on why this happens is that Google's open-source model for software development is like the Wild West, without many design rules. Apple's operating systems in general (MAC, iPhone) are very smooth in operation at a very low level. If they ever do get multitasking, it will most likely be smooth to the user. That's one of the advantages to having a closed-source software model.
Holy **** way to bump an old thread. Check out the V6 supercharger thread, that should help your performance a lot. And get cache cleaner