Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Where is this icon? I don't seem to have it.
Click the icon to the left of the search box that kinda looks like the outline of windows stacked on top of each other. That brings up task view, that shows all open windows. In the bottom right of that screen, there's an icon for a New desktop or something similar. (Sorry, at work now on my Win 7 machine, so I'm operating on memory)

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Click the icon to the left of the search box that kinda looks like the outline of windows stacked on top of each other. That brings up task view, that shows all open windows. In the bottom right of that screen, there's an icon for a New desktop or something similar. (Sorry, at work now on my Win 7 machine, so I'm operating on memory)
Got it..That's kinda cool.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Idk what I'd even use it for. Haha! But I do kinda have an idea. Just need to re-organize. After I got setup last night, I took the opportunity to removed un-needed icons and shortcuts from my desktop and put some files and folders that were there into more appropriate locations.

Might be nice to put icons for my web-building and photo/video editing all on one desktop, main personal stuff on another...I'll have to play around with setup as time goes by.

Starting to regret not bringing it to work today, but I'm burning the ISO for the latest Enterprise Preview to a DVD now so I can test it more directly as it relates to work.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Funny story...I posted the link to install manually on a friend's Facebook post last night because he was bummed he didn't get it yet. A lady commented later that she couldn't understand why anyone would install it on the first day or even the first week. "That's for beta testers."

I couldn't help responding that it'd been in beta for months now. Not really that big of a risk. I'm still just amazed at how smooth the upgrade was. Gotta wonder what things they changed under the hood vs. the cosmetic and UI changes in order for apps to just go ahead and be compatible with 7, 8/8.1, and now 10. Has to have a lot of the same code in some places if you ask me.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Starting to regret not bringing it to work today, but I'm burning the ISO for the latest Enterprise Preview to a DVD now so I can test it more directly as it relates to work.
Where are you downloading the Enterprise Preview from? My MSDN shows Enterprise and Enterprise 2015 LTSB not preview anymore.

Funny story...I posted the link to install manually on a friend's Facebook post last night because he was bummed he didn't get it yet. A lady commented later that she couldn't understand why anyone would install it on the first day or even the first week. "That's for beta testers."

I couldn't help responding that it'd been in beta for months now. Not really that big of a risk. I'm still just amazed at how smooth the upgrade was. Gotta wonder what things they changed under the hood vs. the cosmetic and UI changes in order for apps to just go ahead and be compatible with 7, 8/8.1, and now 10. Has to have a lot of the same code in some places if you ask me.
A lot of people don't understand what goes on in an OS rollout like this. I've had the Insider preview since January? ish. She probably just thinks it just rolled out today without anyone actually debugging or sending defects to MS.

Couple problems I have - Edge or Spartan browser doesn't show favicons. It also doesn't let me mouse scroll. And Adbocking!! This is a must. MS please add extensions ASAP. It runs lighter than chrome but without adblocking and scrolling it's useless to me. I'm not hitting the down arrow to skim a website.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sorry. It's not called Preview anymore. Evaluation Edition. I clicked the first link here:
Info for IT Pros
19449_spacer.gif

• The Windows 10 Enterprise Preview has been updated and replaced with the Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluation edition. This free, 90-day evaluation will help you test your apps, hardware, and deployment strategies.
  • Watch What's New in Windows 10 Deployment for new recommendations for upgrading existing devices using a simple in-place upgrade process, provisioning tools for transforming new devices into ones ready for enterprise use, as well as updates to traditional deployment tools and techniques (ADK and beyond).
  • Bookmark the Windows 10 TechCenter – Here you’ll find the latest tools and downloads, technical feature overviews, step-by-step deployment guides, and community forums to help you plan for, pilot, and deploy Windows 10.

I got this email at home and at work because I'm signed up for the Insider program in both places.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Agh. I don't see any of that since we already pay for the MSDN sub. I never knew emails that like went out.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Agh. I don't see any of that since we already pay for the MSDN sub. I never knew emails that like went out.
'Tis one of the benefits of being THE IT department and having taken over from a lady who's area of study was actually accounting. I've had to upgrade and change quite a bit, but I've also got free reign over my domain. ;)

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I was the IT department for a long time. I went up as soon as I could.

Edit - Time for a clean install. My windows.old directory has almost 30GB of usage.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I had just gone back to school for Networks and Security and sent out a ton of resumes. Even got a few interviews, but no one was looking for someone fresh out of school, never mind that I used to rephrase things my teachers said so that others in class could grasp some of the more advanced stuff. You had to have 3-5 years experience. Got lucky and my current employer realized they needed a real IT person. I've been with them just over 5 years and in IT for just over 1 now. I'd actually rather work under someone else at this point in my career, because I feel like I'm not pushing myself enough to expand my knowledge so I can move on from here after another year or two. They've treated me great over the years, but I'm making less as IT Director than just about every "Network Tech" or similar position that I applied for before they gave me this chance here. Might be able to use that as leverage, but I'd also kinda like to branch out.

Anyway, Windows 10, yay! Haha

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm coming up on 20 years in the IT field. I've done everything from Data Analsyt to IT Director of 1. :) I'm now a developer with hardware/software architecture knowledge. I'll stay in this roll for a few more years and then move on. Like I have most of my career. Getting a foot in the door and free access to do what you can to learn will help you 10 fold.

Yay win10!!! :p

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Sorry, got you both beat. I was writing code for the Abacus before the Abacus was the standard in the business world.
CrC8y9m.jpg
I'm looking forward to this newfangled tech in Win 10!

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That was my thought when they offered me the pay that they did. They were willing to give me a foot in the door when no one else was and a department head title, salaried position. Thanks! Haha!

I'd love to learn some coding skills and try my hand at developing some Android apps or something. All the coding I know is some (pretty basic) html.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Sorry, got you both beat. I was writing code for the Abacus before the Abacus was the standard in the business world.
CrC8y9m.jpg
I'm looking forward to this newfangled tech in Win 10!

S5 tap'n
6b9.jpg

Reactions: cr6

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
OMG...I didn't realize they have yet another Mac feature: virtual desktops. Love it love it and....love it. Just wish there was a better way to 'show all desktops' like the Mac does.
why do people call this a mac feature... I had virtual desktops enabled in Windows xp back in 2003 LONG before Mac introduced it in 2007.

it's a Unix thing if anything.

Virtual desktop - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

glad to see its baked in finally

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk