Microsoft's Windows 10 Briefing Quick Breakdown: Spartan, Xbox Live, Surface Hub & More!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Windows_Product_Family.jpg

- Update 2: According to Microsoft themselves, they don't plan on introducing a subscription based system to the Windows model. They will simply only be offering Windows 7 users the free upgrade for one year. After that it will cost money.

Microsoft hit so many home-runs with their Windows 10 Briefing today, you would think they must have hired the modern day equivalent of "Babe Ruth." We covered the full gamut of hot topics which came out of the event today over on our sister-site at SurfaceForums.net. Since it is the hottest news topic across the web right now, but isn't Android related, we will just do a quick recap for you guys here. These are the main items which Microsoft announced for Windows 10 this year:
  • Windows 10 will be Free for Windows 8 AND Windows 7 Owners - Updated (May Only be Free for one year, suggesting a subscription based system)
  • Windows 10 will include their new Spartan Browser with built-in Cortana Voice support and more
  • Windows 10 will now have its own Xbox Live App and Microsoft is working on cross platform game compatibility for Xbox One and all Windows 10 Supported devices, like PCs, Phones and the Surface
  • Microsoft Announced their new Enterprise-level 84-inch 4K TV/Presentation Monitor Called the Surface Hub
For all of the gritty details, head over to our sister-site @: Microsoft Surface Forums

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
[*]Windows 10 will include their new Spartan Browser with built-in Cortana Voice support and more
Am I the only one who yelled "Sparta!" and then kicked over my trashcan? I got some strange looks in the office....

S5 tap'n

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Looking forward to this. I like Win8 and can't wait to see what they do in Win10.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I have been running the technical preview of Win10 since it became available and I absolutely love it! Cannot wait to get everything officially updated to Win10.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Am I the only one who yelled "Sparta!" and then kicked over my trashcan? I got some strange looks in the office....

S5 tap'n
I forgot to kick the trashcan.

FREE?!?!? For 7 and 8?!?!

Good move Microsoft...
Pretty awesome move if that's the truth, though the rumor that it might move to a subscription irks me. Bad enough they've moved to it with Office and Adobe has done so as well. Give me my OS and leave me alone except for updates. I think it'd be ridiculous to have to pay a subscription for the core software of my computer.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I have been running the technical preview of Win10 since it became available and I absolutely love it! Cannot wait to get everything officially updated to Win10.

I had considered previewing it, but that would have meant wiping my Win8 partition on my MBP to do it. So I decided to just wait it out until the final release.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
I forgot to kick the trashcan.

Pretty awesome move if that's the truth, though the rumor that it might move to a subscription irks me. Bad enough they've moved to it with Office and Adobe has done so as well. Give me my OS and leave me alone except for updates. I think it'd be ridiculous to have to pay a subscription for the core software of my computer.

I hope that's not true. Can you imagine the pop-up saying your PC will quit working unless you pay them? Sounds more like ransomeware than an OS.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I had considered previewing it, but that would have meant wiping my Win8 partition on my MBP to do it. So I decided to just wait it out until the final release.

I had a backup laptop which I didn't mind wiping and using entirely for that...but I probably wouldn't have done it if I hadn't had the extra device...I really like the live tiles in the windows popup screen which I can customize entirely to my liking.

I also like Win8 so I know my transition will be easy LOL - I think those who haven't liked Win8 will enjoy Win10 as it seems to do a good job of meshing it all together.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I hope that's not true. Can you imagine the pop-up saying your PC will quit working unless you pay them? Sounds more like ransomeware than an OS.
I feel like it'd be more tied to support and updates than the PC itself just completely not working, but even if that's all it is, no updates unless you pay is pretty sheisty.

Even with a free upgrade from 8, I'll be watching this part of the story very close before making the jump in my house and the PC's I manage at work are all rolled back to 7 with the exception of one of the servers.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I had a backup laptop which I didn't mind wiping and using entirely for that...but I probably wouldn't have done it if I hadn't had the extra device...I really like the live tiles in the windows popup screen which I can customize entirely to my liking.

I also like Win8 so I know my transition will be easy LOL - I think those who haven't liked Win8 will enjoy Win10 as it seems to do a good job of meshing it all together.
I should fire mine up again. Haven't played with it much, but I had a PC we were taking out of rotation at work, so I loaded the preview up on there because I wasn't getting the results I wanted from using a VM, but I stopped messing around with it after the first day or two and haven't gone back to check for updates/etc.

I definitely like what I've seen so far.

I also don't have an issue with 8.

Last edited:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
No way they go subscription only. MS has made some great moves lately (and not afraid to say it, pretty "Apple-y" moves) and I think this is just another example.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Looking forward to this. I like Win8 and can't wait to see what they do in Win10.
Agreed. I'm really excited for 10 and glad to see they have implemented some really great things.. When they said they were going to unify they weren't kidding. Gamers HAVE to be stoked for Windows 10. It's going to crush