Windows 10 Launch Quick Guide: Almost Everything You Need to Get Started

bmwnick

Reaction score
Anyone else coming from windows 7 and having bad product key? I made a usb install and used a new hard drive (which could be the issue) windows installed fine but now says i need to activate it and when i go there says bad product key. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Anyone else coming from windows 7 and having bad product key? I made a usb install and used a new hard drive (which could be the issue) windows installed fine but now says i need to activate it and when i go there says bad product key. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Weird...I have not done a USB install though. I have done all upgrades. I would call Microsoft if it were me to see if they can verify the Product Key for you.

bmwnick

Reaction score
Weird...I have not done a USB install though. I have done all upgrades. I would call Microsoft if it were me to see if they can verify the Product Key for you.
Yea but im sure i have a oem key from HP its a 17' envy 3200, ive called them 3xs and there morons and wont help

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Have you tried installing win 7 first? If it allows your current key, Win 10 will install seamlessly. I used the MS Install Tool.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Yea but im sure i have a oem key from HP its a 17' envy 3200, ive called them 3xs and there morons and wont help

Wait wait wait wait! Hold the phone. I just realized mine isn't activated either. After several reboots, mine worked! However, what is the EXACT error code that you are getting? Cause MS just released an FAQ saying that the activation servers might still be overloaded, so verifying them might not be ready at the moment.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I have not received an update yet bah :p

Technically, you can get it yourself using the Media Tool.

Windows 10

I did this on a laptop and it worked like a charm. It basically does what the 'Get Windows 10' flag does except manually. Make sure to backup just in case.

bmwnick

Reaction score
Technically, you can get it yourself using the Media Tool.

Windows 10

I did this on a laptop and it worked like a charm. It basically does what the 'Get Windows 10' flag does except manually. Make sure to backup just in case.
this is the method i used earlier ....so i should do several reboots?
updates is stuck at 2% and activation says invalid key but on some reboots jsut says cant verify key. ill try 10 reboots and see ill report back

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Did some testing on it today at work and created a vm with it as well as did a clean install on a old dell optiplex 755 to see how it handled it... it ran better than both 7 and xp on the same machine.

Joined both to the domain and it ran all my group policies without a hitch but then again I just finished a couple of months ago with migrating all my servers to a Fully Qualified 2012r2 Server Domain so I am prepped and ready to move forward with migrating desktop machines up to 10.

My only problem is that they will not release the Volume License Media until Saturday Aug. 1st and my current MAK keys are not being accepted for attempting upgrades or clean installs so it looks like they will generate the new keys on Saturday as well.

So if you are attempting to use an old MAK or KMS key for previous versions of windows it will fail activation.

Went home and did the upgrade on a XPS410 that has an SSD in it and it finished in about a half hour without any activation problems.

Last edited:

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
this is the method i used earlier ....so i should do several reboots?
updates is stuck at 2% and activation says invalid key but on some reboots jsut says cant verify key. ill try 10 reboots and see ill report back

By updates do you mean Windows Updates? Cause it should still let you do them. Are you at the desktop of Win10 yet or are you still trying to install Win10?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Been using it the past 30-45min and so far I'm impressed. I haven't really tried out Edge yet, but probably will switch to that browser a little later just for testing purposes, on Chrome still right now. Noticed that Chrome lags a little and that font size of every site is tiny, thought that could be my screen resolution.

so far I like what I see, and doesn't feel much like Win8 at all, not that I had much exposure to it. Feels like Win7 and I really like that. I'll wait and see but may switch main PC to Win10. I'm just worried about future updates, and Win7 doesn't feel slow in comparison. Though my PC is higher spec than my laptop as well....

More testing to do...

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
OMG...I didn't realize they have yet another Mac feature: virtual desktops. Love it love it and....love it. Just wish there was a better way to 'show all desktops' like the Mac does.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
OMG...I didn't realize they have yet another Mac feature: virtual desktops. Love it love it and....love it. Just wish there was a better way to 'show all desktops' like the Mac does.
Ha yup. I clicked the icon in the tray and said "WHUT?!"
I'm kicking Chrome to the curb. Edge just runs nicely. Its not as "heavy". When extensions hit Edge it will be a complete package.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I mentioned that in one of my rambling posts, but I called it multiple desktops because I've never been a Mac user.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Ha yup. I clicked the icon in the tray and said "WHUT?!"
I'm kicking Chrome to the curb. Edge just runs nicely. Its not as "heavy". When extensions hit Edge it will be a complete package.
Where is this icon? I don't seem to have it.