Microsoft Officially Unveils Windows 10; Skips Windows 9!

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
...The FREE Windows 9 reports were out of Indonesia and have been debunked as of this latest breaking news today.

That's what I get for not keepin' up.

Rule #4080: Don't skim the headlines in the morning and think you're done for the day!

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I like 8.1. Most people didn't take a few minutes to give 8 a chance. It is faster to navigate than the Start Menu on 7. You just have to Google a few things to discover what 8 can do.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Everything is there. It's just in a different place.

Don't like the start screen, set it to boot to desktop.

As for the start MENU missing, that doesn't bother me at all either. I have the Windows Explorer icon pinned to my taskbar for finding files, but all you have to do is hit the Windows button and start typing and it'll find whatever you're looking for. I find it to be considerably faster than the start menu, but, then again, I also forget that not everyone types as fast as I do.
^^^ This.

I agree 100%. I was ready to hate Win 8/8.1, but have been using it for a few weeks now, and it took me a day or to remap basic tasks...

- Start a program: from desktop mode, tap the Win key and start typing the name -> select and run
- Basic OS stuff like Device Manager, Control Panel, etc.: tap Win+X and get a popup with all the usual suspects
- Pin oft-used files: since the Start list with pinned files is gone, I just pin the Program to the Task Bar, and then pin the files I use most to their respective programs

I basically never use Modern UI/mode (btw, it's NOT CALLED METRO! LOL), so I roll my eyes at the "It looks like a phone/tablet UI" complaints. I also avoid the Modern apps (e.g., the browser and PDF reader) like the plague. Though guess what...if you miss that exhaustive list of installed programs in the Win 7 start menu, they're lurking right under the main tiles in Modern mode. :) As far as I can tell, the UI experience is about 95% of what I had with 7. Just a few minor changes in clicks/keystrokes.

I agree though with the comment that the UI is too childlike. But hey, just remember that the vast majority of users are still trying to find the "Any" key!

-Matt

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Windows 8 was fine, people just weren't willing to learn the new UI changes. I'm guilty of this, too, however, and since I'm mostly a Mac/Linux user, I haven't really had the chance to familiarize myself with it, either.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I run windows 8.1 and have it set to almost never know it is not windows 7. Liking or not is mostly a personal choice except originally Microsoft forgot that people who use windows over macs are much like those of us who like android over IOS. Choice. They tried to ram their choice down our throats (much like they did with the ribbon interface). I am now used to both but that doesn't make me totally happy.

They didn't lie - you can have windows 9 for free. It is imaginary and so is its cost.

I really think they chose Windows 10 so Apple would not look like it was ahead as they are still on 10!

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I really think they chose Windows 10 so Apple would not look like it was ahead as they are still on 10!

I mean, Apple released OS X 10.0 in 2001, so with that logic, Windows has been behind for 13+ years xD

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I installed Start 8 on my Windows 8 laptop, and it is basically Windows 7 for all intents and purposes. I hated Windows 8 for the tile interface. Now, I slightly hate it, given that I rarely see it.

Microsoft should have listened to it's users to make Windows 8 a success. Instead they did what the new CEO wanted, and look at the clusterbomb they have created.

Create an install that asked the user "would you prefer a tablet experience, or a traditional laptop/desktop experience?" If they pick tablet, it has the start menu be the tile interface and it will be primarily in the Modern interface, if they say traditional, then you have the desktop with the traditional start menu, but Windows 8 enhanced, primarily in the Desktop, much like what Windows 10 looks like.

And don't even get me started on Windows RT.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Downloading the ISO of the technical preview right now for us in a vm. Should be fun.
Dude! Let me know what you think. I like Windows 8.1 and have zero issues with it. Once I got familiar with it, I was good to go.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts

@Jonny Kansas

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I actually like Windows 8.1. I was skeptical at first, but I am begging to be moved to 8.1 (hopefully here soon).
8.1 is excellent (my opinion) No issues using/working on it at all. It's different and in my opinion that's a good thing. I like a change every now and then.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Dude! Let me know what you think. I like Windows 8.1 and have zero issues with it. Once I got familiar with it, I was good to go.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts

@Jonny Kansas
Will do. Looks like I'll have to install and start playing tomorrow though unless I get the urge to download it at home AND work, because there's at least 15 minutes of download left and I leave in <5. I figure if I can get paid to play with it, why bother loading it up at home?

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Downloading the ISO of the technical preview right now for us in a vm. Should be fun.

That's awesome! Is this a public preview/beta, or do you work for some corporation that gets a free sneak peak? I'd be interested in trying it out on a VM myself. haha.

Maybe I'll see it at my work sometime, too, but if that's the case, my NDA will keep me from being able to say anything about it ;D

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's awesome! Is this a public preview/beta, or do you work for some corporation that gets a free sneak peak? I'd be interested in trying it out on a VM myself. haha.

Maybe I'll see it at my work sometime, too, but if that's the case, my NDA will keep me from being able to say anything about it ;D
It's public. It's a technical preview. Nowhere near ready for prime time.

Preview.Windows.Com

Though I grabbed the ISO from the verge, because the file at that link only downloaded an exe that told windows update I wanted to upgrade to the preview. Not what I was going for on my work PC. Haha

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

buzukh

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone
Its new operating system will be fitted between the different screen sizes of user experience. You will see a different type of user interface, if you are on a small device. The code will be executed in all categories of devices: “A family of products A platform a store…”
Window 10