Microsoft Officially Unveils Windows 10; Skips Windows 9!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Sep 30, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Even though this is obviously not Android news, it's still a surprising development in the tech world, so we thought it prudent to share it with you.

It looks like the folks in Redmond can still shock and awe from time to time, although this time it's really just a PR gimmick. Microsoft just officially unveiled Windows 10 to the public. You read that right... they are skipping the Windows 9 name and going straight for the next generation.

While the operating system is still the same thing they have been working on since Windows 8 was a big flop, Microsoft felt that the changes to the OS were so significant it was worth passing over the Windows 9 name. Ultimately this is just a marketing semantics stunt, but it definitely has our attention.

Even more notable is that the release has now slipped farther down the road. According to the report, Windows 10 will be released "later in 2015." Here's a quote with some of the details as to why Microsoft execs decided to go this route,

What do you guys think of Microsoft's curve-ball to the media?

Source: USAToday

2. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +503
    LOL.

Oh, do I need to say more than LOL?

Um...Windows 9 did not get released yet, unless they are going to say 8.1 was really 9, to make it somewhat make sense. But since Win 9 didn't get released, they could have just continued making it better, so that 9 could be the OS people were waiting for (after 7).

OR...

Maybe they are choosing to skip OS's for us. Remember how Windows 98 was good, but then Windows ME sucked. Or how XP was good, but Vista sucked. Or how 7 was good, but 8 sucked. 9 should/would have been good according to the pattern.

Wow, Microsoft ruined it's own pattern. Ha!

3. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,059
    Windows 10 fixes what 8 screwed up. Back to looking like 7 that everyone is used to. 8 was a disaster.

4. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,455
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I really don't see what everyone is so mad at 8 for. I don't have any problem with it...

• Like Like x 4
  5. realged13

realged13 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I actually like Windows 8.1. I was skeptical at first, but I am begging to be moved to 8.1 (hopefully here soon).

6. jspradling7

jspradling7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +214
    Or... they didn't want everyone in Germany saying "Windows No"

• Like Like x 4
  7. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,455
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Waiting to see the specs required. That'll tell whether I convert the old Linux box back into a Windows machine or load this up in VMware. Hopefully VM will have support for installing it early on. I'm definitely interested. The few things they showed in the video are very nice additions/changes.

Almost like they're finally starting to figure out what the average consumer wants instead of pushing touch interfaces like they did with Windows 8.

I bought a touchscreen laptop with 8 on it (That I've faithfully updated since) and can barely stand to use the touch for fear of smudging the hell out of the screen. At least with my phone it's easy to wipe on my sleeve or pant leg to clean the screen. Haha

8. Dusty

Dusty Gold Member

Ratings:
    +594
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    They announced earlier today that Windows 9 would be given to all Windows 8 users for FREE and that it will be steeply discounted for all XP users also.

It's not being "skipped" at all.

9. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,059
    Average consumer didn't like the radical change from 7 to 8. They wanted a gradual change like from 95 to 7. Hence why 10 looks like 7. Friends and family been asking me to find them laptops with Windows 7 on it because that's what everyone is familiar with.

10. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,348
    I upped from XP to 7 fully kicking and screaming and only because I bought a used desktop with 7 on it and the guy didn't have a disc of XP. My daughter's laptops have 8. Golly I don't like 8. Looks like a phone ui and works about as well as Windows Mobile 6.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

11. Ohyea!

Ohyea! Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Exactly, I think most the people that hate Win 8, didn't use it for any credible amount of time and are just allowing uninformed word of mouth to sway their opinion.

12. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief

Ratings:
    +4,254
    That is incorrect Dusty... it was correct as of yesterday, but Microsoft apparently did a 180. Microsoft has completely reversed course and is skipping Windows 9. Here's a quote from an updated version of what you were saying,
    Story: Windows 9 Will be Free for Windows 8 Users -- Report - GameSpot

The FREE Windows 9 reports were out of Indonesia and have been debunked as of this latest breaking news today.

• Like Like x 2
Search tags for this page

download kb2990214

kb2990214

windows9 and 10 for android