Why The Moto X Pure Does Not Have Wireless Charging

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Never used wireless charging and never had the desire as I charge overnight. I'd rather the quicker charging time personally ....

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I own three Tylt wireless chargers for my LG G3, wife's LG G3 and my daughters Galaxy S4.
Oh well.... They'll used them. I'll use the rabid charge.

Beer Goggles

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8
I agree with your disagreeing of their agreement....1080P works for me!

S5 tap'n
I said that too, when I had the S4. But now that I have the Note 4, I've changed my mind.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It used to be manufacturers would fight to put out a device packed with the most features they possibly could in their latest flagships. Nowadays the trend seems to be, let's see what feature we can leave out and still get away with, in our newest device. Samsung is doing it, OnePlus is doing it, now Moto.
The strange part is, they're somehow convincing the consumer that this is "ok".
Don't we have mid-range devIces for this very reason?
WTH is going on?

S5 tap'n

This is an excellent example of an OEM anchored to a price point they targeted. Everything else you said is on point. Until we have some options for upgrades (like with laptops), this won't change.

Just my preference, but wireless charging is one of the last things I care about (if at all). I'd much rather have choice on display size, cpu, ram and storage.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I too am not really concerned for wireless charging although I do see the benefits for some, and appreciate and understand why there are people who want it and are upset it's not on this phone. I do also believe that the "redesign" explanation is ridiculous. It would have been part of the total design process if it had been slated to be included. They chose to not include it as a cost factor, rather than include it as a feature. This is a shortfall, just as much as the failure to include SD Card slots on phones of the present day, and could even be carried over to non-removable batteries, though that argument is a hard one to make given iPhone batteries aren't removable and yet Apple is selling iPhones at record-setting volumes.

This wasn't an issue of not wanting to redesign, it was spec'd to not have it from the inception, IMHO.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Is it a shortfall, and left out intentionally......or can it not work with leather backs and wood backs? It does work with plastic and kevlar backs, so it could have been part of that design. Is there special adhesive in the leather and wood phones that wireless charging would cause damage to? I don't know, merely speculating. When the original Moto X and Droid Ultra & Maxx were first released in 2013 they had very similar internal specs. The Droids had wireless charging and the X did not. The only real difference in phones that I am aware of is the custom leather and wood back plates that were available on the X. I could be wrong, but I just don't see Moto saying "this phone has it and his one does not" for no apparent reason.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Is it a shortfall, and left out intentionally......or can it not work with leather backs and wood backs? It does work with plastic and kevlar backs, so it could have been part of that design. Is there special adhesive in the leather and wood phones that wireless charging would cause damage to? I don't know, merely speculating. When the original Moto X and Droid Ultra & Maxx were first released in 2013 they had very similar internal specs. The Droids had wireless charging and the X did not. The only real difference in phones that I am aware of is the custom leather and wood back plates that were available on the X. I could be wrong, but I just don't see Moto saying "this phone has it and his one does not" for no apparent reason.

It works through otterbox defenders.. So I would think it'd work through leather...but idk for sure.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
True, but would it cause the leather or wood to warp? I'm not saying that Qi charging can't go through leather and wood. But will it warp those surfaces over time?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That may be a valid argument. Perhaps it's the heat generated by the coil? I would really like to know the true "explanation" for the reason to exclude it from this phone.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Warping could be an issue..but there are other ways to wirelessly charge, I thought?? Also the heat could cause dry rot and other issues with the leather and possibly its adhesive...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
For the benefit of those who are curious about this mysterious wireless charging, I present the following;

There is only one way I know of to wirelessly charge. Wireless charging is simply taking a typical electrical transformer (two coils or "windings", over a steel frame or "core", to enhance the magnetic field). You have a Primary coil or winding, and a Secondary coil or winding...

transformer-diag01.jpg

...and separating it into two flat coils that are mating face to face. The Primary coil is the power source (think wall jack), and the Secondary coil is the destination (think phone). It's called induction energy transfer or induction charging.
1407-00.jpg

Create one magnetic field with the charging (or Primary), coil by moving electrons through the coil, then bring the receiving coil into the magnetic field and the result is an induction of the magnetic field into the receiving (or Secondary), coil, which converts the magnetic field back into the moving electrons (power), from the Primary coil.

1407-01.jpg

article-2284147-1846DE47000005DC-796_634x380.jpg

Resistance of the wires and other inefficiencies in the energy transfer (wasted magnetic field, additional necessary components, etc.), are what cause the heat which is simply a loss of some of the transmitted power.

This is what is now being adapted for electric cars...

inductive_charging.jpg

And just like the image below, you'll see the wasted power in the form of lower efficiency of transfer versus directly connected wires.

ecoupled-infographic-720x469.png

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That may be a valid argument. Perhaps it's the heat generated by the coil? I would really like to know the true "explanation" for the reason to exclude it from this phone.
And not just the 2015 Moto X. It was not part of the original Moto X or the 2014 Moto X. But other Moto phones released with similar specs have wireless charging. That's what makes me think there is a reason, other than they just didn't want to include it. But I could could be way wrong.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I tend to agree with you, but I am still somewhat skeptical. Perhaps since the backs are interchangeable they didn't want to adhere the receiving coil to the battery but instead would have wanted to adhere it to the inside of the back shell. This would preset a problem since improper placement and adhesion if the end user were left to make the switch could result in diminished or failed performance.

The only other option would be to have all backs come with the coils pre-attached, and that means that they'd then have to have a connector, another possible user-error fail-point. The only possible solution to that would be pressure contact points, and then you have still more possible user error as if the back were installed incorrectly it could result in the contacts being shorted, and that would short the battery ---- VERY BAD! That would result in fire and burn hazards.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I said that too, when I had the S4. But now that I have the Note 4, I've changed my mind.
Agree with CR6. Went from a RAZR HD to the QHD Turbo. It was fine before. Plenty pretty enough. Not a mandatory upgrade. The Turbo has a gorgeous display and it really looks great when you max the brightness (betting few run with max bright)...but the HD was still more then enough to game or watch Netflix.

Tap'n Turbo

Beer Goggles

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8
Agree with CR6. Went from a RAZR HD to the QHD Turbo. It was fine before. Plenty pretty enough. Not a mandatory upgrade. The Turbo has a gorgeous display and it really looks great when you max the brightness (betting few run with max bright)...but the HD was still more then enough to game or watch Netflix.

Tap'n Turbo
I wasn't saying that it's a "must", but it is better for some things. Like reading web pages or documents, showing the photos from the 16 MP camera, etc.

1080p is fine for any screen 5" or less.