Why The Moto X Pure Does Not Have Wireless Charging

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DroidModderX, Aug 4, 2015.

1. DroidModderX

DroidModderX Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,202
    [​IMG]

There are some of you that have become accustomed to wireless Qi charging. You may have bought a whole slew of Qi charging accessories. The fact that the new Moto X will not have wireless charging may be a big turn off for you. Today @P3Droid explained why Motorola decided to not include wireless charging. According to him the reason is that Motorola would have had to up the price of the device to change the design to include Qi charging. Instead of adding wireless charging they were able to increase charging speeds. Personally I would rather have faster charging and no wireless charging. Is the lack of wireless charging a deal breaker for you?

via @P3Droid

2. luvarcher

luvarcher Member

Ratings:
    +5
    that's make sense!

3. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    It used to be manufacturers would fight to put out a device packed with the most features they possibly could in their latest flagships. Nowadays the trend seems to be, let's see what feature we can leave out and still get away with, in our newest device. Samsung is doing it, OnePlus is doing it, now Moto.
    The strange part is, they're somehow convincing the consumer that this is "ok".
    Don't we have mid-range devIces for this very reason?
    WTH is going on?

S5 tap'n

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. eagle1967

eagle1967 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +78
    I don't understand it. Change design? Wireless is pretty popular why didn't you do the original design with it? So the design thing makes no sense at all. Faster charging ? that's been around for a while now. and in no way has anything to do with wireless charging. Are they going to include the turbo charger instead of make you buy it?
    The answer is they will release a minor update of the phone that includes wireless charging or sell an add on back cover that includes it to make more money.
    There are too many deal breakers on this phone so no the wireless charging isnt the deciding factor. But I sure didnt care about it when i bought the g2 but figured hey it has it so i should use it. Ive come to find it pretty handy and now not sure i would want to do without it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TOMMYBOT

TOMMYBOT Active Member

Ratings:
    +38
    i wasnt the biggest fan of wireless charging on my umm droid turbo? i didnt have it for two long but with case and maybe it was the charging pad it was very very slow and had to be placed perfectly.

in my line of work i almost always use a case. (or learn from not using one) i love the natural phone feel (on my moto x2013) i might still be going for this phone. i was really looking forward to the usb c idea.
    looking at the new style designs now..

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I've had a couple of phones now that were capable of wireless charging, but you've gotta by the special back or the coils and then you've gotta buy at least one charging pad to take advantage of it.

If OEMs started shipping these devices with EVERYTHING you need to charge them wirelessly, I might buy into it.

I charge my phones overnight. Sure, wireless might be nice for a "top off" charge on a heavy use day, but if I'm going to toss my phone on a pad, to me, it makes it even more difficult to use it to check something or respond to a text while still charging than to just plug it in.

Might be nice in the car for long trips where I know the phone is going to stay in the mount, but other than that, it doesn't bother me that they're leaving out a feature that I've never even tried on devices I owned that had it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +3,780
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    I love wireless charging. As someone who has had to return a phone for warranty replacement for a busted charging port on his phone, It is certainly a feature I look for now and wanted.

Agree with Johnny 100%. This whole "well you have to buy extra stuff to enable wireless charging" is pure nickle and dime BS because it's new-ish and they can get a few more bucks out of you. Another reason I chose the Turbo because it's baked in.
    In a year it will be standard on all phones. Except iPhone, of course. That'll take 2 more years.

Having said that: I would still buy a phone without it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +760
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    No wireless charging is a big bummer. I love it. At night, just put my phone on the flat charger and it does its on thing is great. Sometimes you just dont' feel like looking around for the plug, fiddling with it and worst is if you forget to plug it in. You set it in the same spot but forget to plug it in. Oh well, wireless charging is great but not a major must for me. Its a convenience that can be overlooked. Its not good to be overlooked but in the end, acceptable enough to carry on without it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,073
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    I love my Qi charging. I'm not sure I would buy a "New Flagship" phone without it. The convenience is what does it for me. I just set it on the tylt and pick it up when I'm ready to leave. No looking around for my phone of where did I put it. I know where it's at.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I keep my charger in the top drawer of my bedside table and charge there over night. Every time. If I happen to top it off in the evening while I'm not in bed, it gets plugged in within reach in case I get a call/text/other notification.

11. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,073
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    I'll have to think hard about it. But I do plug it in during road trips so it's not that bad.

12. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Apple sells a gazillion devices without these features. Everyone else is starting to follow suit in order to maximize profit in a saturated market.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Search tags for this page
can wood puck qi charger work with moto x pure
does the moto x pure have wireless charging
moto x pure edition qi charging
moto x pure edition wireless charging
moto x pure qi
moto x pure qi charging