Why The Moto X Pure Does Not Have Wireless Charging

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

There are some of you that have become accustomed to wireless Qi charging. You may have bought a whole slew of Qi charging accessories. The fact that the new Moto X will not have wireless charging may be a big turn off for you. Today @P3Droid explained why Motorola decided to not include wireless charging. According to him the reason is that Motorola would have had to up the price of the device to change the design to include Qi charging. Instead of adding wireless charging they were able to increase charging speeds. Personally I would rather have faster charging and no wireless charging. Is the lack of wireless charging a deal breaker for you?

via @P3Droid

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It used to be manufacturers would fight to put out a device packed with the most features they possibly could in their latest flagships. Nowadays the trend seems to be, let's see what feature we can leave out and still get away with, in our newest device. Samsung is doing it, OnePlus is doing it, now Moto.
The strange part is, they're somehow convincing the consumer that this is "ok".
Don't we have mid-range devIces for this very reason?
WTH is going on?

S5 tap'n

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
I don't understand it. Change design? Wireless is pretty popular why didn't you do the original design with it? So the design thing makes no sense at all. Faster charging ? that's been around for a while now. and in no way has anything to do with wireless charging. Are they going to include the turbo charger instead of make you buy it?
The answer is they will release a minor update of the phone that includes wireless charging or sell an add on back cover that includes it to make more money.
There are too many deal breakers on this phone so no the wireless charging isnt the deciding factor. But I sure didnt care about it when i bought the g2 but figured hey it has it so i should use it. Ive come to find it pretty handy and now not sure i would want to do without it.

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
i wasnt the biggest fan of wireless charging on my umm droid turbo? i didnt have it for two long but with case and maybe it was the charging pad it was very very slow and had to be placed perfectly.

in my line of work i almost always use a case. (or learn from not using one) i love the natural phone feel (on my moto x2013) i might still be going for this phone. i was really looking forward to the usb c idea.
looking at the new style designs now..

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've had a couple of phones now that were capable of wireless charging, but you've gotta by the special back or the coils and then you've gotta buy at least one charging pad to take advantage of it.

If OEMs started shipping these devices with EVERYTHING you need to charge them wirelessly, I might buy into it.

I charge my phones overnight. Sure, wireless might be nice for a "top off" charge on a heavy use day, but if I'm going to toss my phone on a pad, to me, it makes it even more difficult to use it to check something or respond to a text while still charging than to just plug it in.

Might be nice in the car for long trips where I know the phone is going to stay in the mount, but other than that, it doesn't bother me that they're leaving out a feature that I've never even tried on devices I owned that had it.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I love wireless charging. As someone who has had to return a phone for warranty replacement for a busted charging port on his phone, It is certainly a feature I look for now and wanted.

Agree with Johnny 100%. This whole "well you have to buy extra stuff to enable wireless charging" is pure nickle and dime BS because it's new-ish and they can get a few more bucks out of you. Another reason I chose the Turbo because it's baked in.
In a year it will be standard on all phones. Except iPhone, of course. That'll take 2 more years.

Having said that: I would still buy a phone without it.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
No wireless charging is a big bummer. I love it. At night, just put my phone on the flat charger and it does its on thing is great. Sometimes you just dont' feel like looking around for the plug, fiddling with it and worst is if you forget to plug it in. You set it in the same spot but forget to plug it in. Oh well, wireless charging is great but not a major must for me. Its a convenience that can be overlooked. Its not good to be overlooked but in the end, acceptable enough to carry on without it.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I love my Qi charging. I'm not sure I would buy a "New Flagship" phone without it. The convenience is what does it for me. I just set it on the tylt and pick it up when I'm ready to leave. No looking around for my phone of where did I put it. I know where it's at.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I keep my charger in the top drawer of my bedside table and charge there over night. Every time. If I happen to top it off in the evening while I'm not in bed, it gets plugged in within reach in case I get a call/text/other notification.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'll have to think hard about it. But I do plug it in during road trips so it's not that bad.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It used to be manufacturers would fight to put out a device packed with the most features they possibly could in their latest flagships. Nowadays the trend seems to be, let's see what feature we can leave out and still get away with, in our newest device. Samsung is doing it, OnePlus is doing it, now Moto.
The strange part is, they're somehow convincing the consumer that this is "ok".
Don't we have mid-range devIces for this very reason?
WTH is going on?

S5 tap'n
Apple sells a gazillion devices without these features. Everyone else is starting to follow suit in order to maximize profit in a saturated market.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah, but people would buy 2 cans and a string if it had an Apple logo imprinted on it, so that doesn't mean much. Samsung is quickly realizing that trying to follow Apple (at least in the looks department) isn't working out the way they hoped it would after dismal sales with a couple of their latest devices. The lack of sales with the upcoming Note 5 will be the final nail in the coffin I think. If that in fact does happen, I guarantee Samsung will return to "what works" (for Sammy fans at least) and go back to removable batteries & ext sd cards.
In a saturated market, you need to stand out, not play follow the leader, or bobbing for Apples if you will.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I honestly would like to see device manufacturers NOT release a refreshed device each year in each line. They tend too often to be incremental upgrades at best and not worth the purchase price imo. I've actually never bought 2 of the same line of phones back to back ie, never did Moto Droid to Droid 2, I got the X. Never did X2, I got the Bionic. Never did S4 to S5, I got the Note. Etc.

Now, I'm looking at another OEM for my next device because I don't think the Note 5 or S6 Edge Plus are worthy of my money. That makes this new Moto X appeal to me that much more than the one I considered last year. And, people may hate the larger size, but at least they've made a significant change to the X line, even if they kept a similar form factor.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I prefer turbo charging over qi charging...qi charging heats up your cases and messes em up, and there have been issues with devices not charging all the way or accurately charging...so..for an unlocked bootloader..I could do without it..

Last edited by a moderator: