Why The Moto X Pure Does Not Have Wireless Charging

mach330

Reaction score
I personally could care less about wireless charging . 399 I'm in. I won't pay an extra 100 for it for example. So what's missing on moto x compare to nexus 6 other than wireless charging?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Single coil??? I have the incipio ghost, I have 2 tylt vu's and with both.. The back of the device gets warm...saying that yours doesn't is kinda odd...being as the process does generate some heat..

Now I didn't say it gets overly hot..but..mine gets hotter than if I use my turbo charger..and it has caused the rubber outer casing of my otterbox defenders to warp from that heat..

This is the one I have (the image, dont' know what the rest of the article is about) Samsung Wireless Charging Pad clears FCC but will the Galaxy S4 need it - SlashGear But ya, I've used it for several years now and I've never found it to get hot. I've used it on my Nexus 7, Note 3 (added the ability myself) and now my Nexus 6. Weird but I do know that my turbo charger gets my Nexus 6 quite hot. I actually just had to exchange my N6 because the back started peeling off. The past couple of weeks I've been using my turbo charger instead of QI because my wife borrowed my QI pad for her off and hasn't returned it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This is the one I have (the image, dont' know what the rest of the article is about) Samsung Wireless Charging Pad clears FCC but will the Galaxy S4 need it - SlashGear But ya, I've used it for several years now and I've never found it to get hot. I've used it on my Nexus 7, Note 3 (added the ability myself) and now my Nexus 6. Weird but I do know that my turbo charger gets my Nexus 6 quite hot. I actually just had to exchange my N6 because the back started peeling off. The past couple of weeks I've been using my turbo charger instead of QI because my wife borrowed my QI pad for her off and hasn't returned it.
Do you run a case on your n6? With bare plastic the heat probably escapes ..but with an otterbox it syncs into the case...

Do you run any battery apps like gsam?? If you did it would tell you how warm the device is..like right now my turbo is sitting at 96%battery cap, and 86°..I've seen it reach 105 on the turbo charger and 115 on my tylt vu

You might look into another turbo charger..you could have a faulty circuit , poor Soldering job...something like that...

It's actually a very common thing since they all went to lead free solder..rosin core solder has a lower melting and puddling point..easy to work with, especially for automation..

Lead free is more expensive, has silver and gold in it..and a higher melting and puddling point. It requires more time on the connection and more cool down time, as an after thought...often times connections get shaken or reheated and partially broken from the heat of other solder connections...

I bought a new distortion pedal(mass produced) and I couldn't get the tone I wanted from it..cracked it open and cleaned up some Soldering connections and some paste connections and it sounds a billion times better...just a thought..

Had the same thing in a couple of new amplifiers too..they were muddy and sounded over driven when they should've been clean..pull em apart...bad solder joints..through holes and power connections..

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I bought a new distortion pedal(mass produced) and I couldn't get the tone I wanted from it..cracked it open and cleaned up some Soldering connections and some paste connections and it sounds a billion times better...just a thought..

Had the same thing in a couple of new amplifiers too..they were muddy and sounded over driven when they should've been clean..pull em apart...bad solder joints..through holes and power connections..
You no try before you buy, or what? :p

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Maybe they could not include wireless charging because of new Custom Moto Maker back options? Does it work with a football leather back? Does it work with a Mahogany wood back? Maybe it only works with the standard plastic / kevlar back plate? Personally, I will still buy a fully customized, designed-by-me phone at $399 without wireless charging. Who else offers a "design it yourself" phone for that price? Just my .02 cents worth.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Do you run a case on your n6? With bare plastic the heat probably escapes ..but with an otterbox it syncs into the case...

Do you run any battery apps like gsam?? If you did it would tell you how warm the device is..like right now my turbo is sitting at 96%battery cap, and 86°..I've seen it reach 105 on the turbo charger and 115 on my tylt vu

You might look into another turbo charger..you could have a faulty circuit , poor Soldering job...something like that...

It's actually a very common thing since they all went to lead free solder..rosin core solder has a lower melting and puddling point..easy to work with, especially for automation..

Lead free is more expensive, has silver and gold in it..and a higher melting and puddling point. It requires more time on the connection and more cool down time, as an after thought...often times connections get shaken or reheated and partially broken from the heat of other solder connections...

No, I haven't put a temp monitor on my phone since I had a G4, that phone got hot too. I don't have a case on my phone either. That may be it. Just a bare N6. The turbo charger is the OEM one for the N6 and the new charger i got with my warranty swap does the same thing. Oh well, i prefer the QI charger anyways. I rarely ever have to charge my N6 during the day so its at night and it can take all 8 hours I sleep if it wants to (though it doesn't).

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Eh, wireless charging is overrated. If I could wirelessly charge my device while holding it and moving around with it then it would be worth it. However, having to set it on a charging pad kind of defeats the purpose, at least in my mind. The only time it makes sense is to give a device water resistance (see the Moto 360). But they can even do this with charging ports these days.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd like it, but not a deal breaker.
The only deal breaker for me is microSD.If the phone doesn't have it, I won't buy the phone.
The reason why I switched from a series of Motorola devices was they stopped including microSD support when they were part of Google. I went to Samsung and left for LG when Samsung introduced KNOX.

Now I'm going to move back to Motorola since they are using a metal frame *AND* most importantly they have added back microSD support.

I had the following Motorola phones DroidX, Droid Bionic, Droid Razr, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid HD.
A non-removable battery doesn't bother me at all. No wireless charging, Oh well. No microSD bothers me big time.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It costs literally a few dollars to make a phone Qi compatible. If third party people can bring Qi coils to the masses for that cheap then there is no excuse for a big box name to omit it.

I use it with my Note Edge with my car's built in Qi station and during the day and at night while at home.

Shame on you Motorola.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I still think the lack of Qi charging is because of the custom Moto Maker options. Custom phone designed by you with a football leather back, or walnut.....or wireless charging. Not sure they can do both. Me personally.....I will take the custom made, designed by me options over wireless charging any day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I still think the lack of Qi charging is because of the custom Moto Maker options. Custom phone designed by you with a football leather back, or walnut.....or wireless charging. Not sure they can do both. Me personally.....I will take the custom made, designed by me options over wireless charging any day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Agreed. If I had charging pads laying all over my house because I'd made that investment and/or my truck came with it, that might be a different story, but since I'd still have to buy the gear to make it work, this is a non-issue for me. I'd much rather have a phone that doesn't look like one of 2-3 options that everyone else who went to my local VZW store had too.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I have 1 wireless charger, that was $80. Luckily my N7 is compatible. So this purchase might not hurt as much.