Wireless Charging On Your Galaxy S4 In 20 Seconds!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nothing is cooler than wireless charging. Here is a little known fact that even I didn't know until I came upon an awesome review by Droid Forums Moderator "MandyMakesApps", the Galaxy S4 is Wireless Charging "Capable" not Wireless Charging "Equiped". This bodes well for Samsung stock holders as this makes the purchase of their wireless charging back and wireless charging pad ($90) seem to be a pretty good buy. As Mandy stated I feel like there may have been a bit of deception in Samsung's marketing.

You don't have to shell out crazy cash to get wireless charging on your Galaxy S4. Apparently there is a stick on wireless charging receiver module by Qi that can be had for only $12. Once that is installed you can grab a used wireless charging pad on ebay for a reasonable price or use one that you already have.

Mandy has put together a great writeup on how all of this works and how exactly it is used. There are also some tips for how to apply this to your Galaxy S4! Check out her full writeup at the link below!

Wireless Charging on your SGS4 in 20 seconds.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Our newest Mod gets front page press. Awesome! :thumbup: :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Wonder if there is something like this for the Note 2. I want wireless charging but I don't want to have to take off the back cover or cut holes in it.

jseah

Reaction score
There are these same tags for the Note 2, but it only works with the AT&T or international version. Those versions have the wireless charging contacts accessible. With the Verizon Note 2, you have to cut a piece of the case out to access the wireless charging contacts.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
There are these same tags for the Note 2, but it only works with the AT&T or international version. Those versions have the wireless charging contacts accessible. With the Verizon Note 2, you have to cut a piece of the case out to access the wireless charging contacts.

Very interesting...so they included the feature on the MOBO, but deliberately covered it with case material. Well...just goes to show you that licensing can play a HUGE role in who does what where.

Jackseric

Reaction score
Ditto. I want that for my nexus, but am not crazy about soldering and cutting on these crazy expensive devices!

jseah

Reaction score
Very interesting...so they included the feature on the MOBO, but deliberately covered it with case material. Well...just goes to show you that licensing can play a HUGE role in who does what where.

Yes. If you look at a Note 2 from AT&T just to the right of the battery compartment is a notch in the case that reveals the two contacts for the wireless charging. But if you look at the Note 2 from Verizon in the same location, the contacts are missing and it is all plastic.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Diabolical. Reminds me of early Copiers, where certain "features" were not "installed" on the lower end models, and if you wanted to add them, they were at a premium and required a service call to "install" them. Truth was all the features of the top of the line model, were on all models down to the economy version, all the technician had to do was flip a couple dip switches and the "features" suddenly came alive.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Reminds me of the old floppy disks where you'd have to cut a simple notch in the side and you'd double their capacity.

Then we'd walk to school in the snow, up hill both ways, while fighting bears using our pencils. God I'm old.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Reminds me of the old floppy disks where you'd have to cut a simple notch in the side and you'd double their capacity.

Then we'd walk to school in the snow, up hill both ways, while fighting bears using our pencils. God I'm old.

ROFLOL!! I completely forgot about the DD Floppies!! What a RIOT! Their claim was that the ones that were Single Data didn't pass the quality check to be rated for Double Data, but it was complete hogwash! Thanks so much for reminding me of that one! I used to manage a computer store then, and we sold Commodore 32, Commodore 64 and Commodore 128 computers. When the DD Discs came out, we started carrying a small Disc Punch tool that would create the notch...made a good number of sales of those things!

:rofl2:

jseah

Reaction score
Last week I was doing a little spring cleaning of the cabinets in my office at work and I found several boxes of old 3-1/2 in floppies (I don't even have a floppy drive any more), a bunch of blank CD-R's, a bunch of iOmega 120 MB backup tapes and an iOmega backup tape drive. They all went in the trash.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yep...I still have a boat-load of antiquated computer crap I have to go through and dispose of. Amazing how fast things move now. Remember ZIP drives? That was short-lived too. How about Removable Hard Drive Platters - cartridges (JAZ Drives, and Seagate made one as well).

Since we're hijacking this thread...

Blast from the Past

Published by Nathan Zeldes
on February 23, 2009
in Odds and Ends
. 1 Comment

Today I had the pleasure of attending the opening of the Computing and Communications museum of the Israel Electric Company. The IEC has been around for almost a century and has kept pace with computing advances since its early days; curator Dlila Shapira did a great job rounding up some lovely vintage pieces from the “big iron” era and later.
No less interesting than the equipment on display were the speeches of some veteran managers of the computing division. One gentleman told us how when he first arrived on board as a programmer his first task was to glue shut holes that had been punched in error onto punched cards; a bottle of the liquid used was on display, and here it is.
punchedcard-fluid.jpg

OK, now let's get back to the subject of the OP...

Wireless charging of the S4!!

Continue;

Last edited:

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Man....i thought it would charge your phone in 20 seconds....got my hopes up for nothing...i was ready to plop down 650 for a phone!!

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
yeah the title is a little misleading. would be helpful to include word enable or install, otherwise people might think that they can charge the phone wirelessly in 20 seconds :)